Odd request for later in Orion's life...

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Odd request for later in Orion's life...

Postby hseiken » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:40 am

When Orion is more or less complete in your eyes, Rich, would you consider adding some features Bhajis Loops had for sparking creativity when writer's block was present? Here's a couple of features I speak of:

1.) Several decks of Oblique Strategies - you could 'draw a random card' with an oblique strategy to give you new outlook on your work or even get you started when simply staring at a piano roll or loading a sample just wasn't doing anything for you creatively.

2.) Auto Song Name Generator - a lot of times, it would come up with completely nonsensical and bizarre names but somehow, the names would always help. I don't know why, they just did. Even using it on completed songs I couldn't come up with a name for, somehow the name it came up with fit somehow with the song. I mean, concerning an instrumental, names are kind of arbitrary, no? So who cares if my song is called "Monospaced 8-Bit Aliens"? It's better than 'untitled track 3'.

3.) Color Theme Picker - You could create a color theme or you could let Bhajis auto make one for you. Even making one was easy. It would create nice gradients between two colors, etc and only took a second. Having the interface's feel seem fresh every time you started a new song somehow made the entire program feel fresh each time you started, even though it was still the same old Bhajis you'd used hundreds of times prior. The colors showed up for tracks/channels and certain piano roll elements and automation lanes.

These are just a couple of items that sparked creativity and fresh musical approaches when simply opening up the program and playing around with knobs and samples just didn't do it and some of these would really help songs get finished further than otherwise I might have worked on them.

How bout it? Again, this is just a little something to add when you feel you're out of ideas. Everyone gets writer's block...I think it would be a cool gem to give your users little helpful tools to overcome this...no other program other than Bhajis that I've seen actually goes beyond the technical aspect of making music and into the inspiration aspects.
hseiken
Novice

Re: Odd request for later in Orion's life...

Postby suneel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 am

you mean something like this ?
suneel
Guru

Re: Odd request for later in Orion's life...

Postby hseiken » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:40 am

suneel wrote:you mean something like this ?

Sort of, but more immediate and not necessarily something that drastic...but also have the option to be randomly done by the program on each new song. And that covers the 'feel', but the other items still have no alternative other than just owning a deck of those cards for the strategies and jumping on a random lyric generator on the internet.

Like I said, these are just flourishes I think would be nice in the program, they serve no purpose. I mean, maybe something more useful would be including composition tools such as fractal music generation and other abstract things, but I think inspirational additions that just get your brain off the dead end street would be very welcome.

IDK...those were just features that I really like about Bhajis that I've never seen duplicated and probably won't.
hseiken
Novice

Return to Wishlist