FR: Memory Usage Readout

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

FR: Memory Usage Readout

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:37 pm

It would be nice to have a Project Memory Usage Readout perhaps somewhere on the Status bar or as we've discussed eliminating the status bar perhaps on the main toolbar......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Re: FR: Memory Usage Readout

Postby dmassive » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Teksonik wrote:we've discussed eliminating the status bar

:?: Hi!, Sorry about the offtopic but, ¿that is true? the status bar is very helpful, and I say some advantages...

- CPU Resources, may be innacurated, but useful to compare VST loads.
- Current Note on Piano Roll.
- Values of Knobs, come on, without this we always must trust in our ears, a perception of sound changes, but numbers are numbers for ever.

On the other hand, I give you +1 to show Memory Usage by Orion Application, I think all technical info are welcome. :wink:
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:07 pm

To clarify, the discussion....and it's been only that so far....was to move the useful information from the Status bar such as CPU meter etc to another area such as the Main Toolbar or to perhaps an expanded Time Window not to eliminate any of the readouts.

The Status Bar is really a lot of wasted space at this point. It runs the entire width of the monitor but only contains a relatively few pixels of useful information. Now with Full Screen Mode in effect the Status Bar just sticks out like a sore thumb and defeats the purpose of FS Mode which is to gain workspace.

So the idea at least the way I understand it is to eliminate the Status Bar but not any of the useful information it contains. But the discussion has been dead for awhile so I don't know where it stands as of now........

Thanks for the +1 on Memory readout....... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:18 pm

To further expand.....with certain Monitor resolutions and using certain Orion skins there is a lot of unused space on the Main Toolbar where useful information such as CPU readout, Project Memory usage etc could be given readout boxes but the problem then becomes not everyone uses the same size monitor so what may fit perfectly here may be off screen on someone else's setup..............

So this was my suggestion for where to place the Status Bar readouts:

It's a very crude mockup and certainly not something that is planned at the moment but would solve the dual issues of wasted space on the Status Bar and Variable Widths of the Main Toolbar. The Time/Info window could then be placed anywhere on the workspace the user wishes.....

I'd personally still like to see something useful done with the empty space on the Main Toolbar since there is a lot of it here at the resolution I use......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

...and at the same time, there are those that have issues seeing everything at the resolutions they're using (1024px and less).

An ideal solution would be to have a modular transport bar. That way, you could attach or detach anything you need or don't.

"Don't need transport buttons, because you're using a controller or keyboard? No problem, just click and detach it. Don't need loop bar? Easy-peasy, click, drag - detach. Midi in and metronome? Who needs that? :lol: Detach!
But you could use a time view? Just drag it right up there. CPU usage? Various other statusbar info? Clip it right next to that tempo there."

So, basically, there wouldn't be one long transport bar, but instead could consist of several modules that would make a whole. It could also auto-arrange so when you remove a module from in between two, they would move... or not. Well, something like that.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, you´re right, in 1024x768 hides mixer channels labels. Until now I believe that the optional status bar (CTRL+U) is enough... but Image

Actually "Time View" waste a lot of space, needs to be more dynamic, look:

Better will be look like this:

Maybe as you said, the new "Time View":

will be standalone like now and/or "dockable", like this, up right corner:

"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:...and at the same time, there are those that have issues seeing everything at the resolutions they're using (1024px and less).

only with the ridiculously oversized (and painfull to look at) new default skin :wink:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Andy-b » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm planning switching to fully 64 bit setup in the next couple of month,so I can said hallo to the ram limit :lol:
Andy-b
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:...and at the same time, there are those that have issues seeing everything at the resolutions they're using (1024px and less).

An ideal solution would be to have a modular transport bar. That way, you could attach or detach anything you need or don't.

"Don't need transport buttons, because you're using a controller or keyboard? No problem, just click and detach it. Don't need loop bar? Easy-peasy, click, drag - detach. Midi in and metronome? Who needs that? :lol: Detach!
But you could use a time view? Just drag it right up there. CPU usage? Various other statusbar info? Clip it right next to that tempo there."

So, basically, there wouldn't be one long transport bar, but instead could consist of several modules that would make a whole. It could also auto-arrange so when you remove a module from in between two, they would move... or not. Well, something like that.

I agree with this 100%. A customizable Main Toolbar would be the most elegant solution. I don't know if it's possible from a coding standpoint but I'd welcome it as an end user.........Maybe something like Show/Hide ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:55 pm

dmassive wrote:will be standalone like now and/or "dockable", like this, up right corner:

+1 That would work for me.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Andy-b wrote:I'm planning switching to fully 64 bit setup in the next couple of month,so I can said hallo to the ram limit :lol:

That's all well and good but wouldn't you still like to know how much you are using?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Andy-b wrote:I'm planning switching to fully 64 bit setup in the next couple of month,so I can said hallo to the ram limit :lol:

That's all well and good but wouldn't you still like to know how much you are using?

Yes of course,can you believe just a couple of days ago I'm was tinking about to start a thread about these,but I'm a little bit lazy . Serously speaking ta ram meter will be more useful for people want use a 32 bit host with all ram limitation and even with big ram amount it's easy reach the limit with 64 bit too :lol:
Andy-b
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Well I don't think I'm reaching a point where I'm running out of memory even on 32 bit ...........but that's the point.... I don't know because there is no meter telling me how much I'm using......... :P
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ufo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Modular toolbar is a great idea - I think Wavelab and Soundforge both had toolbar menus to check which module you want to appear, then you drag em around and dock em in any order you see comfortable.

Woo.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby Teksonik » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:06 pm

That would work for me and give every user the ability to customize to fit their needs......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Wishlist