Move/reorder effects via drag and drop

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Move/reorder effects via drag and drop

Postby Chrispy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but it would be a nice workflow enhancement to allow insert effects to be moved between slots or channels using drag and drop. If dropped onto another slot that already contains an effect, then moving that effect (and any effects below that) downwards to make room. That would mean reordering effects on the same channel would work too (by simply moving one effect to the effect above it, which would effectively swap them). You can do this kind of thing manually by right clicking and choosing existing effects from the menus, but it's not exactly speedy workflow that way.

Of course, with only 3 inserts available per channel, if you drop one on a channel that is already "full" then you'd have to ask whether to lose the bottom effect or overwrite the one you're dropping on... Or... extend the number of inserts dynamically ;) [now, having more than 3 inserts must already have been mentioned in the wish list already, right? I assumed the limit was to not mess up the design of the mixer panel, but that already dynamically sizes width-wise as you add channels, and height-wise if you hide the EQ section]
Chrispy
Novice

Re: Move/reorder effects via drag and drop

Postby dmassive » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Chrispy wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but it would be a nice workflow enhancement to allow insert effects to be moved between slots or channels using drag and drop.

+1

I try to do that... Is something instinctive for a Windows users I think... :lol:

When you have a lot of effects its real difficult to select an effect just for move that to another slot. One thing I do for make things easy is give a more descriptive name to effects, holders, etc, but drag & drop will be better.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Chrispy wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but it would be a nice workflow enhancement to allow insert effects to be moved between slots or channels using drag and drop. If dropped onto another slot that already contains an effect, then moving that effect (and any effects below that) downwards to make room. That would mean reordering effects on the same channel would work too (by simply moving one effect to the effect above it, which would effectively swap them). You can do this kind of thing manually by right clicking and choosing existing effects from the menus, but it's not exactly speedy workflow that way.

I think it would make more sense to have it work like swapping.
Say you have all three inserts filled, and you move the one from I1 to I3. Instead of losing the assignment for I3, it could swap places and become I1 instead. That way it would still remain as a part of the chain of effects for that channel.

Then again, it draws the question about effect holders. I doubt it would be possible to move them from holder to mixer/master insert slots.
Of course, with only 3 inserts available per channel, if you drop one on a channel that is already "full" then you'd have to ask whether to lose the bottom effect or overwrite the one you're dropping on... Or... extend the number of inserts dynamically ;) [now, having more than 3 inserts must already have been mentioned in the wish list already, right? I assumed the limit was to not mess up the design of the mixer panel, but that already dynamically sizes width-wise as you add channels, and height-wise if you hide the EQ section]

The skinning system doesn't allow dynamic expansion of the mixer when new insert slot is inserted. You would then have it same for all channels, even where you don't need them to keep the uniformity of the mixer, and the easiest way for that is to simply add additional insert slots to the mixer, at the expense of the height, of course. The EQ is different story. It uses a secondary mixer image, the one without the EQ section that is shown when you hide the EQ, which is something that wouldn't be possible to do with additional insert slots.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 pm

All that "extra" behavior is too complex I think to develop and testing... I think a simple drag and drop is enough, and if you drop a effect over another one, just do the same as is now, current effect will unlinked and the new one will linked.

Then you can check modules "unlinked" in the modules list if something goes wrong.

This will be useful to move quickly a long chain of "MultiFx Holders" to other channel or insert slot.

P.D.: LOL terrible my english... I know. :shock:
dmassive
Regular

Postby dmassive » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Dune 1.4 use a basic drag & drop to reorder effects, why not do the same with insert slots in Orion? :)
dmassive
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Dune also doesn't bring up an effect module up when you click on it.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby bones » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:07 pm

dmassive wrote:I try to do that... Is something instinctive for a Windows users I think... :lol:

Maybe for a teenage Windoze user but it is not something I ever think to do. OTOH, right-click workflows, as we have now, are simple and precise. I generally find D'n'D quite annoying and the way we allocate effects now is so simple that I don't see any point in changing it or adding another option.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Wishlist