D U N E user waveforms

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

D U N E user waveforms

Postby ufo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Would be very cool if we could load some OSC wave forms into Dune.
Would be very cool if we could load custom waves into LFOs.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dune :drool:
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Re: D U N E user waveforms

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm

That would be sweet!
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Sweeter still......sfz support.......... :mrgreen: +1 for user waveforms.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 am

lots of ppl like this idea, i dont care either way myself, but its easily the most requested addition.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:15 am

Just think of the added possibilities for sound design.......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 am

I'm just wondering how those would be shared. I guess you'd have to send a waveform along with the patch.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:I'm just wondering how those would be shared. I guess you'd have to send a waveform along with the patch.

I think they can be embedded in .fxp patches,like Toxic Biohazard
Andy-b
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 am

That would be the way to go with single cycle wavs since they are so small.....if .sfz support was added (I don't think that will happen anyway) you'd have to send the samples/sfz file with the patches.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am

Teksonik wrote:That would be the way to go with single cycle wavs since they are so small.....if .sfz support was added (I don't think that will happen anyway) you'd have to send the samples/sfz file with the patches.

I think single cycle are a good upgrade option,about .sfz I don't know,they can be transform a great straightforward synth in a bloatware thing :mrgreen:
Andy-b
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm

It's only bloatware if you're forced to use .sfz files. As an option it would only help expand DUNE's capabilities.......but like I said I don't think .sfz support will be added........Shame too as you could get some great wavestation type sounds by assigning a different .sfz file to each of the 8 voices and then cycling thru them.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 am

Support for SoundFont (sfz and sf2) files would be an option only whether you'll use SoundFonts or not, but it will be permanently visible on the GUI. Being that they are multi-sampled files, you will need a mean to swift through them. Making it visible on the GUI is rather obvious way to do it; ModMatrix doesn't seem like a good place for it.

Another thing to consider is the size of these files. SoundFonts can hold samples of any sizes, so your patches might get quite big. And while we're on that, I'm guessing that passes the use of waveforms, since they would cease to be that. Realistically, there wouldn't be anything to stop you from using eight 3 minute samples, encoded in 96KHz in 24-bit rate, right?

Unless you guys have some good options to overcome all those issues, quite frankly, thinking about it, I just don't see that kind of support coming. Loading a .wav waveform, sure, but SoundFonts? As much as the idea of loading each waveform to separate voices using SoundFont sounds enticing, no, sorry, I don't see it coming.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:11 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Support for SoundFont (sfz and sf2) files would be an option only whether you'll use SoundFonts or not, but it will be permanently visible on the GUI. Being that they are multi-sampled files, you will need a mean to swift through them. Making it visible on the GUI is rather obvious way to do it; ModMatrix doesn't seem like a good place for it.

Another thing to consider is the size of these files. SoundFonts can hold samples of any sizes, so your patches might get quite big. And while we're on that, I'm guessing that passes the use of waveforms, since they would cease to be that. Realistically, there wouldn't be anything to stop you from using eight 3 minute samples, encoded in 96KHz in 24-bit rate, right?

Unless you guys have some good options to overcome all those issues, quite frankly, thinking about it, I just don't see that kind of support coming. Loading a .wav waveform, sure, but SoundFonts? As much as the idea of loading each waveform to separate voices using SoundFont sounds enticing, no, sorry, I don't see it coming.

sfz's are good for several things, one being multi samples

i can have a single cycle wavefrom sampled on every note, from a hardware synth, and use that, the file would still be tiny.

i think user wavetable are a better idea myself tho, along with an app or at the very least in depth instructions for everyone to create them 8)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Support for SoundFont (sfz and sf2) files would be an option only whether you'll use SoundFonts or not, but it will be permanently visible on the GUI. Being that they are multi-sampled files, you will need a mean to swift through them. Making it visible on the GUI is rather obvious way to do it; ModMatrix doesn't seem like a good place for it.

Nobody said anything about Soundfonts...........

Overcome what issues? There are several synths that quite successfully use the .sfz format and Alchemy just added the feature.

Of course any addition may cause some changes to the GUI or otherwise. That's unavoidable and I don't see any problem with it....the other option would be to leave DUNE as it is.......Who cares if "your patches might get quite big"? The concept would be to increase the types of sounds DUNE can create. Single cycle wavs although a welcome addition would only bring a limited amount of new sound colors to the palatte....while sfz support would bring a huge new capability to DUNE but as I've said before I don't see it happening as Rich has never commented on the subject. I don't think there are any disadvantages to adding .sfz support it may just be that it's not within the vision plan that Rich has for DUNE...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Kriminal wrote:
i can have a single cycle wavefrom sampled on every note, from a hardware synth, and use that, the file would still be tiny.

i think user wavetable are a better idea myself tho, along with an app or at the very least in depth instructions for everyone to create them 8)

How would user wavetables differ from the .sfz format ? Would it be the same concept just a different format where you define what samples are loaded and what key range they play? Sort of like the Wavefusion concept but with full sized samples? I could support that concept as well. It's just that there are several sources for .sfz format sample sets now and that would open up the possibility of third party expansions for DUNE. However I could see the advantage of a closed format for DUNE where all expansion content comes from Synapse....Again it may not be Rich's vision for DUNE that it becomes a sample based synth. Still I'd love to be able to load some nice samples and route them through DUNE's Effects and Mod Matrix....like I said before you could get some great Wavestation or PPG sounds....if the idea is to grow DUNE and to create a DUNE 2 I can't think of anything that would add more bang for the buck than .sfz support or a similar proprietary format for loading full multi-samples
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Kriminal wrote:sfz's are good for several things, one being multi samples

SF2 are multi sampled too, aren't they? I really can't tell the difference. Maybe the support for the format, I don't know.

And I agree for cycle waveform samples, but the question is what happens when people start throwing in long samples encoded in HQ? You will get big files very quickly. Of course, that would be on the them to use (or not) lengthy samples.
So, should the use of sfz's be limited then? I don't see how that's possible, maybe if you limit the file size used or something, or do extensive check for sample times, as a measure of prevention from using X minutes long samples across the key range.

Teksonik wrote:Nobody said anything about Soundfonts...........

Then you should consider what .sfz is.

Taken from the Cakewalk's page, it's a collection of samples put inside one file. So, how is that different from a SoundFont definition? There is none. The only difference is structural and functional implementations, with added compression for sfz. But it still falls under the SoundFont category.

Who cares if "your patches might get quite big"? The concept would be to increase the types of sounds DUNE can create. Single cycle wavs although a welcome addition would only bring a limited amount of new sound colors to the palatte....while sfz support would bring a huge new capability to DUNE

I think patch creators would disagree when they need to upload big archives with such patches, though if that happens, it's entirely on them (read reply to Krim above).

----------------------------------------------------------
I'll just add here quick note, which isn't a direct reply to anyone here, that personally I have nothing against adding the sfz support. In addition to the possibilities they would bring (I wholeheartedly agree with Tek on the subject of DUNE's sounding variety), I'm also trying to look at the negative aspect of it as well.

Carry on ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Next

Return to Wishlist