Reason rack extensions

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Reason rack extensions

Postby mrbrico » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 pm

I would like dune as a RE, tried the demo, love the synth..
mrbrico
Novice

Re: Reason rack extensions

Postby funky koval » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 pm

oh man you're going to get ROASTED for this request hahaha :wink:
funky koval
Regular

Postby mrbrico » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:09 am

Really? And why is that?

With softube, korg and sugerbytes making rack extensions already for 6.5 release why could synapse not?
mrbrico
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:29 am

Rich hasnt mentioned anything yet, so you'll have to wait and see.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 am

There has been some discussion about this on the Beta forum and Kriminal was the the who originally brought it up. I guess it comes down to how easy will it be to convert Dune to RE format, is there enough financial incentive to do so and does it make sense for Synapse to make Reason a more attractive app since they sell Orion as an alternative.

Like Kriminal said Rich hasn't commented yet so time will tell........

mrbrico wrote:Really? And why is that?

With softube, korg and sugerbytes making rack extensions already for 6.5 release why could synapse not?

Those companies you mention don't sell a DAW like Orion that could be considered in direct competition with Reason so they have nothing to lose. They are also primarily effects producers except for Korg. Has anyone actually committed to porting an instrument to RE format?

EDIT: Hmmm I keep seeing that the Props will be taking 30% of the profits for any Rack Extension plugin......factor that in as well.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby mrbrico » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 pm

You make some valid points, I think your right in saying time will tell...

Dune can be used on other daw's so maybe it's not such a factor..

30% take yes.. Not hurt devs producing for the apple app store, I suppose it depends how successful their own store will be, maybe more incentive for smaller dev's to get their work out to more people.

I think some are keeping quiet for now to see how it pans out, we will know more by the summer I guess

Thanks
mrbrico
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm

mrbrico wrote:Dune can be used on other daw's so maybe it's not such a factor..

That doesn't make sense. Other DAWs didn't require any conversions to be made on the DUNE since all of them use it natively as either a VST or AU format, which isn't the case with Reason. Synapse is a 2 man operation, so adding another format to maintain kind of makes it a factor.

Personally, if I was Rich, I wouldn't do it. Why? Props make a DAW that basically banned VSTs, and now want those same VSTs to work on it, but they'll charge devs 30%? Bloody hell!
DUNE sells for $139, with cut going to Props leaves Synapse with around $97, not even a whole 100.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby mrbrico » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Vst and au are two formats..

Alegedly there is not so much work on the conversion process, it can be used on windows and mac versions of reason.

It will be interesting to see what happens....

They could put their price up for the RE version if that was a factor.. They don't have to lose on it!
Luckerly it will be the developers decision and not yours, I am sure developers would like more people to use their products, it's a new market, and there is plenty of people on the reason forums who are looking to expand their racks.
mrbrico
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 pm

charge more for an Re version, if users want it in Reason, they have to pay for the work involved, simple solution :)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:45 pm

There are people asking for lower price on DUNE. You think them or anyone on the RE market for that matter would be willing to pay $180 once those 30% are included in the price?
mrbrico wrote:Luckerly it will be the developers decision and not yours

Yes, luckerly ;)
I am sure developers would like more people to use their products, it's a new market, and there is plenty of people on the reason forums who are looking to expand their racks.

The Props could add the VST support. That way, users would get the plugins they wanted, and devs wouldn't even have to work on converting them.

But, I guess we can all agree on one thing: it will ultimately be Richard's decision. If he and Marcin think they can maintain the further development on Orion along with one more format of their plugins, and if that means both 32 and 64-bit versions, then that's two of each (or whichever they choose), by all means.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Andy-b » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:56 pm

I think after an initial hype,things may become cold,I don't see many devs interested to join RE (exept Uhe and some FX oriented devs)
And about 30% Props maybe must pay the developers to joint :lol:
Andy-b
Regular

Postby mrbrico » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Andy-b wrote:I think after an initial hype,things may become cold,I don't see many devs interested to join RE (exept Uhe and some FX oriented devs)

I think your very wrong, but time will tell, it's not released yet...

No one uses the apple app store either because of the fee... ;)
Sounds more like daw bias going on here..

Reason is rubbIsh I use daw x therefore no one will possibly release anything for them...

This is a wish list thread, not a daw flame...
mrbrico
Novice

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Andy is merely offering his opinion as are the others. He didn't, nor did anyone else, say that Reason is rubbish.

Don't over- or mis-interpret what other people have written for it will be you that is responsible for any flames.
Mark

Postby Andy-b » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:02 pm

mrbrico wrote:
Andy-b wrote:I think after an initial hype,things may become cold,I don't see many devs interested to join RE (exept Uhe and some FX oriented devs)

I think your very wrong, but time will tell, it's not released yet...

No one uses the apple app store either because of the fee... ;)
Sounds more like daw bias going on here..

Reason is rubbIsh I use daw x therefore no one will possibly release anything for them...

This is a wish list thread, not a daw flame...

I will explain my point of view,many plugins devs are small companies (2/3 people) which maintain several plugins format,such vst,au,32/64 bit just to say and developing new and original stuff is more reliablbe rather than made another "DLL" from older stuff,said that,I think Reason is more than a good music tool,but from my point of view,better was an implementation of vst tecnology,instead to force devs to learn another program stuff and frankly speking,it looks to me more like:we want to montize to max our daw,instead of give real new ideas,see the Ipod toy,but these is another story

Peace

Andy
Andy-b
Regular

Postby mrbrico » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:34 pm

I think it's mainly about the dsp code, I am not a developer so I can't state the complexity of converting to an RE format.
If its overly complex devs will not be on board, simple as that, if it's worth it for developers, big and small, all the better.

All I have said is that DUNE is a nice product and that I would love to see it as an RE.
Hopefully this would be a win for reason users and for developers.

Let's keep positive eh...

Thanks all
mrbrico
Novice

Next

Return to Wishlist