Why Is Dune 2 Not Skinable? ..or is it....

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Why Is Dune 2 Not Skinable?

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Quite frankly, I prefer the works of Scott Kane (s0nkite on deviantart)... just seem quite stylish and modern to me.

Really ? I find Kane's over use of reflections to be cheap and plastic looking.............

I guess one man's "stylish and modern" is another man's "cheap and tacky". If DUNE2 would have been released with that style skin it would have been a laughing stock...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am

lots of 'designers' make nice looking skins, but they are practically very poor.

The current GUi is very functional, it just needs jazzing up a bit...not a massive amount.

if it becomes skinable, everyone can make one to suit there own taste.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 am

Here's the Thackery Sylenth skin I'm using. Not perfect but a huge improvement over the default skin:

Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 am

Kriminal wrote:lots of 'designers' make nice looking skins, but they are practically very poor.

The current GUi is very functional, it just needs jazzing up a bit...not a massive amount.

if it becomes skinable, everyone can make one to suit there own taste.

Exactly my point. Nothing wrong with DUNE 2's GUI functionality. It just needs some different styles to match the high quality of it's sound. I've been saying this for quite awhile...........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Teksonik wrote:Really ? I find Kane's over use of reflections to be cheap and plastic looking.............

I guess one man's "stylish and modern" is another man's "cheap and tacky". If DUNE2 would have been released with that style skin it would have been a laughing stock...........

Well, not that one, specifically. He himself said the glow was overkill on that one. But something like maybe?

I agree there are some elements that seem crowded, but I think that's a bit better than the one you picked ;)

Then again, we're talking about Sylenth here, no skin will ever look good on it :lol:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I think this skin looks good, nice and clean looking and bigger knobs. Truth be told the Dune 2 looks good to me and sometimes not, it seems to change. :wink:

Sylenth white cream 2 Saturate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:27 pm

I like that one! :mrgreen:

Seems I'm leaning towards white/light stuff lately... Orion reflects that as well :lol:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:34 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote: But something like maybe?

I agree there are some elements that seem crowded, but I think that's a bit better than the one you picked ;)

God no that's horrible.........nowhere near the quality of the skin I'm using. It looks incredibly cheap and plastic.......I'll say it again if DUNE 2 was released with that skin it would have been laughed at mercilessly.....and rightfully so. :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:36 am

Solid Technica wrote:I think this skin looks good, nice and clean looking and bigger knobs. Truth be told the Dune 2 looks good to me and sometimes not, it seems to change. :wink:

Looks good but try using it for a few hours in a row........... :shock:

Anyway back on topic. Rich has said skinning is coming along nicely so it shouldn't be too long before there are alternatives to the default............... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:23 am

db3 wrote:Cool. You should commission Lance Thackeray to produce a skin based on what he did with Sylenth and Serum... http://pureav.deviantart.com/art/Serum- ... -483397829
http://pureav.deviantart.com/art/Sylent ... -430769010
I'm willing to bet if Dune2 was styled like these, sales would increase.

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
db3 wrote:...based on what he did with Sylenth...

God NO!

Kriminal wrote:Absolute crap graphics...

You two are crazy, both those UIs look amazingly good. I especially like the Serum one. But the good thing is that we'll eventually have plenty to choose from. I'll certainly be making at least one, possibly more - one based on the original Dune UI, one based on the work I was doing For Dune 2 before Rich decided to do it himself and probably one to suit my favourite Orion skin(s). There is certainly no point in arguing over what's better because we'll each be able to choose something we like.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:16 am

bones wrote: I'll certainly be making at least one, possibly more - one based on the original Dune UI, one based on the work I was doing For Dune 2 before Rich decided to do it himself and probably one to suit my favourite Orion skin(s).

All great news........... 8) :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Lance Thackeray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:33 am

Hey guys, Lance here (the skin author of the Serum and Sylenth skins posted earlier by db3)

I just wanted to drop by and say hi, and also mention that I've just grabbed the demo for Dune 2 to take a look at skinning possibilities. This actually looks pretty easy, in the same way Sylenth was. The png resources are well made and I actually really like the layout of the synth in general, should be a pleasure to work with.

I'll be making a start on a skin (including the Panel Tone variations), simply because I live and breath VST GUI as a career and enjoy a little side-project. However, I won't share anything until I have permission to do so. Technically, replacing png images - although unencrypted - does break the EULA regarding modification. Lennard of Sylenth was fine with it but it's best to ask.

Of course, I only supply images, no .dll, so no code is tampered with (my skins can be applied to licensed copies safely). I came up with a method for users to easily implement a skin without having to replace hundreds of pngs individually. It proved a pretty big success with my Sylenth skin, more so than I'd imagined.

Anyways, I remain professional whenever I can, so I'll wait for permission. If not, it'll make a nice portfolio addition. :)

Cheers.

bones wrote:
db3 wrote:Cool. You should commission Lance Thackeray to produce a skin based on what he did with Sylenth and Serum... http://pureav.deviantart.com/art/Serum- ... -483397829
http://pureav.deviantart.com/art/Sylent ... -430769010
I'm willing to bet if Dune2 was styled like these, sales would increase.

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:

God NO!

You two are crazy, both those UIs look amazingly good. I especially like the Serum one.

I appreciate your honesty. =] And thanks, bones.

- Lance
Last edited by Lance Thackeray on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lance Thackeray
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 am

Welcome Lance! A new Dune2 skin sounds great. The best thing for you to do is PM Richard or Marcin. If they're interested then I'm sure they'll help you with what you need :)
Mark

Postby Lance Thackeray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 am

Cheers fella, I'll do just that. :)

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:

God NO!

Reading those back again, I sense a bit of confusion perhaps? db3 wasn't saying I created the official Sylenth skin, that thing truly is hideous. The link is to my own which I created earlier this year. I have no ties with the original Sylenth skin at all. If you were indeed referring to my reskin, I apologize, and kindly ask if you could elaborate a bit? It's good to know what people feel most comfortable with in a GUI. Cheers!
Lance Thackeray
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 am

I was refering to your skin. Not my taste. Doesnt matter tho, im sure many ppl will like what you do. I dont like Nicks Orion skin either, or any of Bones stuff....

Nothing personal.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)