Dune 2 factory soundbank is too small

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 2 factory soundbank is too small

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 pm

From my experience, synths with lots of patches are primarily filled with bad ones, so it just takes longer to wade through all those patches to find the few gems. There's a few exceptions I can think of, but not many- and those are synths where patches have piled up over many years. I haven't seen any new synth hit the market that ships with 5000 spectacular patches right away. And I doubt this will ever happen ;)

Btw, we're working on a first sound expansion for Dune 2, should be out in September.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Totally agree Richard :D Omnisphere comes to mind with 8000 presets and atleast half aren't noteworthy imo. I think blue 2 has 4000 or so but judging from the demo it's even a quarter to an eighth that sound 'good'. :roll: Dune on the other hand judging from the presets is quite a different story, especially like that preset that slide's an 8th note via mod wheel in demo version, very cool sounds :wink:
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby bones » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 am

knechtodawas wrote:I think, that a person who exclusively uses presets can be still be a good musician!

Wading through banks of someone else's sounds to find one that fits what you're doing is not a skill and it is certainly not something that will gain much respect from me, in much the same way as a performer who sings other people's songs will have less respect that someone who writes their own.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 am

Flipping through presets on a melody is often rewarding. Even to the point of sifting through hundreds of presets. But you are right to get it to gel in the mix almost always requires extra tweaking.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 am

bones wrote:Wading through banks of someone else's sounds to find one that fits what you're doing is not a skill and it is certainly not something that will gain much respect from me, in much the same way as a performer who sings other people's songs will have less respect that someone who writes their own.

So if the Bass Player writes the lyrics the singer is in some way not deserving of respect ?

I don't get this anti preset snobbery. To me it's no different that taking musical inspiration from other band members. But having said that, learning to create your patches can only help your music...............

I can't tell you how many times over the years and this goes back to my hardware days long before anyone ever heard of a VSTi that a synth's preset has inspired the start of a song.

I certainly hope the presets I've released both free and commercial have musically inspired others to create new songs.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Christophe » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Teksonik wrote:I can't tell you how many times over the years and this goes back to my hardware days long before anyone ever heard of a VSTi that a synth's preset has inspired the start of a song.

I certainly hope the presets I've released both free and commercial have musically inspired others to create new songs.

+1
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby knechtodawas » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:41 pm

bones wrote:
knechtodawas wrote:I think, that a person who exclusively uses presets can be still be a good musician!

Wading through banks of someone else's sounds to find one that fits what you're doing is not a skill and it is certainly not something that will gain much respect from me, in much the same way as a performer who sings other people's songs will have less respect that someone who writes their own.

I did not mean to say that a person using only presets has skills because of doing so, he can have other musical skills despite doing so. By the way, there are so many people out there being sooo proud of using only self designed sounds. But if you have a listen to their music you recognize that their sounds are everything but inspired. They just sound like common EDM synth sounds only worse...
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby bones » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:11 am

That kind of makes my point, if you want respect you need to do a good job but at least that guy is having a go, so he still deserves more respect than the guy who doesn't even try. And, of course, what you're describing is 99% of the presets for most VSTi anyway. You also need to understand that everything worth doing has already been done. Just because you find something to be original or different doesn't mean that someone else won't have heard stuff that sounds very similar. It's inevitable.
Teksonik wrote:So if the Bass Player writes the lyrics the singer is in some way not deserving of respect ?

Of course not, he's just the bloody singer. Any idiot can do that (even me).
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:28 am

But any idiot can twiddle knobs on a synth and make a patch (even me) but that gets your respect ?

Anyway I think everybody should try making their own patches if for no other reason it's lots of fun but I don't think someone who only uses presets should be ridiculed........maybe they would just simply prefer to spend their time with composition, melody, harmony etc etc......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 am

Respect isn't an on/off switch, it's a slider with a broad range, something like 0-999. That said, 99.99% of inhabitants of this backwater planet struggle to make double figures, mostly because nothing is really hard if you know how to do it and most sheeple who are good at something are good at it because they have worked at it obsessively, which means there is something deeply wrong with them. Therefore, it's hard to have respect for them so much as pity.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am

Im equally mediocre at everthing, mainly cos i cant be arsed.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 am

bones wrote:Respect isn't an on/off switch, it's a slider with a broad range, something like 0-999. That said, 99.99% of inhabitants of this backwater planet struggle to make double figures, mostly because nothing is really hard if you know how to do it and most sheeple who are good at something are good at it because they have worked at it obsessively, which means there is something deeply wrong with them. Therefore, it's hard to have respect for them so much as pity.

WTF ? :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello,
I bought Dune 2 today after a few days of playing with the demo and i must say that this comes with the best factory patches of every synth i ever used. Especially the patches from KS are awesome. I don't think the amount of patches it enough to start because this synth is so intuitive and easy to program. But of course i would be interested in additional banks. I just hope that this synth will not become aonther mainly dance/trance machine since it's so versatile. I make mainly cinematic and ambient stuff (also a few trance tunes here and there) and i love Omnisphere and Alchemy but this is my new favourite synth. Dune 2 is so far (for me) the best sounding software synth (only Diva coould top this but it's too limited when it comes to sound design).
So thank you for this wonderful tool. All i would need now would be a proper iPad remote to control this app.
The most patches in Dune 2 are very unique and it's the only synth where i can say that i like at least 75% of all factory patches and could use them straight away in a new track ;)
Cinebient
Regular

Postby rank1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:40 pm

rank1
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:36 pm

£32 :?:

:shock:

:lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM