Would love to see these in Dune 2

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Would love to see these in Dune 2

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 am

Kriminal wrote:I also dont have a prob with anyone releasing a synth with 32 layers.... some ppl will buy anything if they are told they need it.
As for finacially viable...who knows. Sometimes the simplest/best ideas go straight over ppls heads.

Obviously I disagree with your opinion and your condescending attitude. But since we're going there remember "simple things amuse simple minds".......... :lol:

Kriminal wrote:Here's a question. If Dune had one layer, would you still buy it?

No.

Kriminal wrote:You could do everything you can in D2 just by loading multiple instances and copying midi. Timewise, it would prob take the same.

Of course not. Loading multiple instances, selecting multiple patches, and copying multiple midi events would not be anywhere near as time efficient as having everything in a single instance/patch. Also of course DUNE 2's layers can interact in ways that would be difficult or impossible to duplicate with multiple instances.

But you realize you don't have to use all the power of a synth right ? If a simple patch in a single layer is all you need that's fine. The rest of D2's power is still there for those who want/need it........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 am

The point is, nobody does....

Time wise, you're wrong. If you are programming 8 diff sounds on 8 diff layers, its the same. If you're not, whats the point.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Dune isn't Dune without multiple layers/voices --no? Otherwise the unique unison engine wouldn't exist -- the whole point. :D
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:51 pm

Solid Technica wrote:Dune isn't Dune without multiple layers/voices --no? Otherwise the unique unison engine wouldn't exist -- the whole point. :D

its not unique, its unison is just 8 voices, either playing or not. its the same as 8 synths, and thats exactly what D2 is, a synth with 8 identical layers/engines.

Unison just means 'at the same time'

The sound is great, the features are pretty good, but its still just 8 synths in one interface.
Last edited by Kriminal on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:52 pm

I use multiple Arps on LuSH101 all the time. They don't all play the same notes or have the same time

from the same instance? how?
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Kriminal wrote:
Solid Technica wrote:Dune isn't Dune without multiple layers/voices --no? Otherwise the unique unison engine wouldn't exist -- the whole point. :D

its not unique, its unison is just 8 voices, either playing or not. its the same as 8 synths, and thats exactly what D2 is, a synth with 8 identical layers/engines.

The sound is great, the features are pretty good, but its still just 8 synths in one interface.

The idea is that each unison gets its own page though, no? Each voice effects the spread and detune of each other via the Global detune, a change in 1 voice would bleed through the others slightly. I think...

Basically, what happens when each unison can get its own detune, voice numbers, spread,etc :D
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Solid Technica wrote:
I use multiple Arps on LuSH101 all the time. They don't all play the same notes or have the same time

from the same instance? how?

Unlike DUNE 2, LuSH101's Arps are not Global but Per Layer. So you can have one playing Up/Down at 1/16 and another playing Random at 1/8 and another at Down with 2 Oct range, one layer set to +7 semitones etc etc (these are just examples off the top of my head not be taken literally ). Makes for some very complex poly-rhythmic sounds. I've spent many enjoyable hours playing such patches.

To stay on topic I've requested this feature for DUNE but was told that due to it's engine architecture it's not possible. Fair enough, if it can't be done then it can't be done.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Solid Technica wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

The idea is that each unison gets its own page though, no? Each voice effects the spread and detune of each other via the Global detune, a change in 1 voice would bleed through the others slightly. I think...

Basically, what happens when each unison can get its own detune, voice numbers, spread,etc :D

No, thats not how it works. Try setting unison voices to 3, and solo 4 voices. You will only hear 3 voices (layers)
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Kriminal wrote:
No, thats not how it works.

which part?
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Cinebient » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I agree that 8 layers are too much..... for just 3 LFO and 4 MSEG. I would like to have more of those.
I know, someone will tell me now that i don´t need it. :mrgreen:
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Cinebient wrote:I agree that 8 layers are too much..... for just 3 LFO and 4 MSEG. I would like to have more of those.
I know, someone will tell me now that i don´t need it. :mrgreen:

These are changeable on a voice by voice basis to a certain extent. Personally I think it's better to have too many than not enough. FTR, I do have some patches that use 8 voices.
Mark

Postby Bftucker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:54 am

Kriminal wrote:Rich just needs to send him the current WT tool then. Trouble is, yoy will get hundreds of WT's from waveforms HE selects....might not be to everyones liking.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I am certain it won't be to everyone's liking. On the other hand, I understand that HE has a reputation for a good though somewhat eccentric ear...

Good to read that it is being considered anyway.

:wink:
Bftucker
Novice

Previous

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)