Question about the Mod Matrix

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Question about the Mod Matrix

Postby Foxedge » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:50 am

Hi! :D I am referring to the Factory Patch: Chords -> 004 Chordscape RH*.

I am trying to rebuild some patches. This one has only 3 Unison voices but 7 different pitch-changers in the mod matrix, routing to the voices 1-7. When I turn off the routing to voice number 7, the sound is completely different. But when I play voice 7 solo, there is no sound, and the manual says about the solo voices section, that I would be able to set up my >unison< voices, which are only 3 here.

So, where is this voice 7 leading to?

Last edited by Foxedge on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Re: Question about the Mod Matrix

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:10 am

I can hear voice 7 here, but only really at lower pitches.
Mark

Postby Foxedge » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:16 am

When you select 7 above "Voices solo" on the right side? Tried it again now, played all lower notes,
still no sound. :?

Only 1-3 give sound, since there are only 3 unison voices set.

Edit: Did you choose the wrong patch?

Maybe it happens because the settings routed to 4-7 do nothing, but when I unroute them the sound changes - not because I took something away, but because I made the mod matrix apply it to the whole patch, instead of not-used voices?
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Did you change the number of Unison voices to 7?

Edit: when you say that you turn off the routing to voice 7, do you mean that you remove the 7 in the mod matrix there, but leave the rest of the entry intact? If so, then yes you will hear a difference because that entry is now being applied to all voices. To hear voice 7 in solo mode you will need to increase the number of unison voices to 7.

Edit2: My guess is that the patch was designed to be good enough with 3 voices, but for those with higher spec'd computers then adding the additional voices (with concomitant increased CPU usage) will add a certain higher frequency sheen to the sound.
Mark

Postby Foxedge » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:40 pm

No I did not change them. I just totally forgot about that when I remove the routing to voice 7 (yes I only did that) it's gonna be applied on the whole patch. So my conclusion was, voice 7 is doing something and when I remove it I can hear the difference because it's not doing whatever it did anymore, but yeah it is vice versa :)
Foxedge
Regular

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)