Dune 2.5 - Cubase overload CPU

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2.5 - Cubase overload CPU

Postby zafir » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 am

A greeting at all, i need your help to figure out why cubase shows the saturated CPU overload indicator when i use Dune VST.
The composition is difficult because the software crashes or clicks.

My setup:

Windows 10 64Bit
Intel I7 3,6
Ram 8GB
HD: SSD
VGA: Nvidea 770
MB: Asus z87 deluxe

Cubase 8.5 Pro 64bit
Motu 828 mk3, buffer 512

Thanks so much!
Last edited by zafir on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
zafir
Novice

Re: Dune 2.5 - Cubase overload CPU

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:31 am

I've seen this issue mentioned before (I don't own Cubase so don't pay much attention). If I remember correctly the solution is to turn off Dune 2's Multi Threading.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Cubase&fid%5B%5D=7
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby zafir » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:53 pm

Now it's better. This vst is great, but I think it should better manage the might of new CPUs. However, clicks do not feel anymore, but when come it the Dune track, the Cubase indicator covers almost the overload. For this reason I believe that developers should make an effort and better manage the CPU.
Thanks for you support!
zafir
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:12 pm

zafir wrote:Now it's better. This vst is great, but I think it should better manage the might of new CPUs. However, clicks do not feel anymore, but when come it the Dune track, the Cubase indicator covers almost the overload. For this reason I believe that developers should make an effort and better manage the CPU.
Thanks for you support!

It handles CPU fine, its cubarse that is the problem. It doesnt like multi threading vsts.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby zafir » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 pm

I would agree with you if I had a generalized problem with all vst but this is not the case: only Dune created this problem.
So for me it is Dune who runs the CPU badly. There is no story. I'm sorry.

PS:
If the problem it's Steinberg I write to Steinberg but for now it does not seem to be that way.
zafir
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm

zafir wrote:I would agree with you if I had a generalized problem with all vst but this is not the case: only Dune created this problem.
So for me it is Dune who runs the CPU badly. There is no story. I'm sorry.

PS:
If the problem it's Steinberg I write to Steinberg but for now it does not seem to be that way.

Since you're so easy to dismiss any potential causes, by your logic, just as same, if DUNE2 doesn't have any problems with other hosts, it must be a problem with Cubase. End of story. Right?

Instead of dismissing so easily, maybe you should also try running DUNE2 with same settings in a different host and see if the problem persists. If it does, then yes, it's problem with plugin and Synapse should definitely look into it.
If not, well, then maybe consider doing that PS thing you wrote ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 pm

A lot of people own DUNE 2. Only a few of them complain about CPU....coincidentally those people use Cubase. No problems with CPU here on multiple systems and DAWs....but then I don't use Cubase. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Touch The Universe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 am

If Cubase also behaves the same with Lush-101 or any of the uhe synths, all of which use the similar multi-threading, then I think its safe to say its more of a cubase issue and to give Dune 2 a bit of slack :wink:
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby zafir » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:31 am

The logic is clear but should not be the final user to do tests but the builder; from me it works like this: when a user buys the software and complains of an anomaly, the first thing to do is to verify that exact condition because the user often sees us well.
I will try to contact you Cubase but I remind you that the VST technologic was produced by Steinberg. I also believe that Cubase, born on Germana in 1989, is more than reliable in managing the approach to the CPU. I do not even think about installing another DAW and testing. It's not my job.
zafir
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 am

The problem is with Cubase and there's nothing Synapse can do about it. Contact Steinberg Support and explain the situation.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 pm

I don't own Dune (but Cubase). Since it looks like Cubase is the only DAW having that issue, it would be a bad idea to disable cpu multi threating by default but this issue should be mentioned somewhere people would notice... if thats not the case already, you know what I mean ;)
@zafir
since you mentioned that VST was invented by Steinberg: sadly that doesn't mean that Cubase has to handle VSTs perfectly (or better than other DAWs). I own a Microsoft Keyboard (Sidewinder X4) and a few months ago I learned that there's an issue which was a little surprising to me (Microsoft Keyboard + Microsoft Windows =has to be working perfectly... NOT)
And most of the other DAWS supported vst side-chaining but Cubase added that feature (VST!) very late... I'm still asking: why?!
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby zafir » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am

ThehakkeMadman wrote:I don't own Dune (but Cubase). Since it looks like Cubase is the only DAW having that issue, it would be a bad idea to disable cpu multi threating by default but this issue should be mentioned somewhere people would notice... if thats not the case already, you know what I mean ;)

I see. I wrote in the Steinberg forum but it seems that the admin does not want to publish it. Steinberg, however, for optimize DAW, suggests disabling MT from bios. I did it but nothing changed. I think that in my case the guidance made available by Steinberg to optimize is useless. I read on the DUNE manual I will try to retouch the Present and see if anything changes.
zafir
Novice

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Other than DUNE 2, there is very popular multi-threaded plugins like Diva, Kontakt and others. Unless they run flawlessly in MT mode while Dune does not, it probably is a Cubase issue. That said it runs fine here (Windows 8, Cubase 8.5 64-bit).

What I recommend in general is to fully optimize the PC for audio, e.g. by making sure your Anti-Virus package is audio-friendly (some packages eat way too much CPU), by checking your energy saving settings and making sure the CPU performance is set to 100%, by getting rid of background services you do not need, etc. This is really important for multi-threaded plugins, because multi-threaded plugins are less forgiving about any flaws in the system.

Richard
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I tested the Dune 2 demo with Cubase 8.5 (32+64bit) and I had no such issues, no matter if MT was switched ON/OFF
Since my PC setup is similar to zafir's PC (Intel i7 3770k, Z77 mainboard, SSD, nvidia card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit) I'm now curious why Dune2 runs smootly with Cubase on my system... at 48khz and 128 buffer size (TC Studio Konnekt 48)
I'd try some BIOS/UEFI tweaking since the Asus Z87 Deluxe has a lot of options. "disabling MT from bios" means Hyper-Threading, I guess? I have HT enabled and never, ever had to disable it. Even overclocking and energy saving (cpu idle) is enabled.
Or maybe it has to do with Cubase' configuration itself? ASIO guard, audio priority or something like that...?
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Christophe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

or with Cubase 9 ?
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)