Declick option?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Declick option?

Postby chk071 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey,

so, i guess I'd have to strike out a bit more for this topic… there are quite a few soft synths which have declicking applied by default, and some which haven't, and which even offer an optional declick option, Spire (which offers a declicking option since a few versions), and Thorn, to name two. Now, the thing is, i find turning the declicking off can be very useful for certain sounds (for example, when you set the oscillators to phase retriggering, choose a sine wave, set the phase to 90°, you get a very nice attack click, which can add a nice timbre to the sound). Also, with declicking off, there can be a very pleasing attack squelch, when you crank up the resonance, and dial in some very short decay times for the filter envelope.

Now i wonder, i figure that Dune 2 does some kind of declicking by default? At least, i wasn't able to get a clicky attack for the sine wave using the method i described above. And, if that is the case, are there any plans to deactivate declicking, and maybe to add an option for that in Dune 3? Would be great if you could give a heads up on that. :)
chk071
Novice

Re: Declick option?

Postby Mark » Fri May 18, 2018 8:17 am

The initialised patch has the attack set to somewhere around 7-8% to reduce clicking. You can set this to 0% and clicking will occur. You can also set oscillator init phases in the mod matrix to decrease or increase clicking to your taste.
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

I forgot to add that you would want the analog switch for the envelopes to be OFF if you want clicking. With it on, the clicking is suppressed.
Mark

Postby chk071 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

Alright. So i understand it right, and Dune 2 has no declicking on per default?

Then i wonder why the sine wave, for example, doesn't have such a clicky attack as on some other synths. Here's an example file i made once, using different synths (they're stated in the description):

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/sine-wave-click-test

Don't get me wrong, many other soft synths also don't have that click, or have a rather soft attack, so, that's not limited to Dune 2 alone. Always wondered why that is though. I always thought that the synths have some kind of declicking on per default, or have too slow envelopes. I don't know what is the case with Dune 2.
chk071
Novice

Postby ufo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 am

Re trigger osc phase with note on
If the note trigs the osc mid cycle you can get the clicks

Also turn off compressors as this will accentuate any clicks.

Peace
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby chk071 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am

You're right. I just tried again with the Dune 2 demo, and with constant init phase of 25%, and the sine from the wavetable oscillators, it gave me quite a clicky attack. Guess i either had analog envelope on, or didn't dial back the amp envelope attack. User error. :)

Wonder why this is though:

Mark wrote:I forgot to add that you would want the analog switch for the envelopes to be OFF if you want clicking. With it on, the clicking is suppressed.
chk071
Novice

Postby bones » Fri May 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Seriously, this is a thing? Synths have done that since forever. You fix it by increasing the VCA envelope's Attack. Why would a synth need a button to press to do it?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby chk071 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Good question. I have no idea why many soft synths do declicking by default, or even have a declick option. I guess some people just don't like it, for whatever reason. I think it's very useful, and, rather not having it is a unpleasant thing.

Only reason i asked for it is because i thought Dune 2 does declicking by default, which was wrong, how i found out now.
chk071
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri May 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Dune didnt click, unless you used a pne shot WT.
Dune2 has a massive click. I had a big argument with Rich about it. Increasing attack is not the option imo.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 am

I've never had a problem with it in DUNE 2. Surely it is only with very specific settings? And, as I said, synths have been doing it since forever, it's not exclusively a problem with softsynths. aTo me it's no different to turning the resonance up too high and getting uncontrollable squealing and I bet those declicking buttons just change the envelope so you can't make it as snappy, anyway. i.e. They are changing the attack, even if you won't.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)