Poll: What music genres do you?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Music Genre that you produce most

Synthwave
7%
EDM
3%
Electronic (Different to EDM, not necessarily something that people could dance to)
10%
Trap
No votes
HipHop
No votes
Ambient
3%
Cinematic
24%
Hybrid Scoring
3%
Drum & Bass
3%
Psytrance
7%
Goa
10%
Hardstyle
No votes
Industrial
7%
Techno
7%
Trance
14%

Total votes : 29

Re: Poll: What music genres do you?

Postby Foxedge » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Touch The Universe wrote:The best 'cinematic' music is in game soundtracks :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqryasRIu-k

I love the Deus Ex ost! Since I've played the game I listen to this once a week :)
As well all the nice ambient mixes from the both newer DX games out there.
Last edited by Foxedge on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Awesome. Can you give me more recommendations. I'm new to the genre and there is so much out there. Something of similar quality and feel, if possible. Cheers

Another One is Ivan Torrent - Icarus song

Edit, just saw your previous post, cool, have stuff to check out already :dance:
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Foxedge » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Touch The Universe wrote:Awesome. Can you give me more recommendations. I'm new to the genre and there is so much out there. Something of similar quality and feel, if possible. Cheers

Another One is Ivan Torrent - Icarus song

Edit, just saw your previous post, cool, have stuff to check out already :dance:

Gonna add this one, pretty unique and interesting with some strong electro vibes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Oyk0BL1mU
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Cool. Figured I'd add a link to the track I mentioned earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wg1MYjOguI
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby bones » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:19 am

Foxedge wrote:I'm pretty confident that in the digital age it's easier than ever before, to make contacts and get attention

I think the precise opposite is true. The problem with the "digital age" is that it removes all filters. Every idiot and his dog can get in on the act, which makes it a lot more effort to sort the wheat from the chaff. In the old days you had to work your way up but now you can put something up the day after you install your first DAW software. It will probably be awful but you still have to compete with it for attention. Eventually the good stuff gets drowned in the noise.
Ghost in the shell 2017 by Lorn Balfe for instance, but of course that's a matter of personal taste and there is a lot of quiet underscore included. I wasn't referring to orchestral music only, even a sound design heavy project does require a lot of skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBYxr3SbkA

I'm not hearing much skill in that. There are two or three minute sequences that are just a held note. I've heard better demo material for $5 sample sets. Also note that he is a protege of Hans Zimmer, so we know how he got into it.
IMO game soundtracks are far superior to those for the most films. The requirements are already higher in the indie/mid- budget range and in the game industry probably has tons of more jobs for composers than the film industry has, since games can be done easier with a not so huge budget by smaller teams than films.

Maybe but who cares about game soundtracks? I have less than no interest in games.
Again, depends on what projects you work on. This might be true for a few low-mid budget indie projects, if you want to play in the higher league, it takes a bit more to convince people that you're good even if they don't feel that you're good in their view.

Yes, and you do that by working your way up to it. You start by scoring your friend's indie short film. It gets good coverage doing the rounds of the film festivals and someone asks the director about you. He organises a meeting for you and you get a job working on a one hour documentary. From there someone might offer you a job on a low budget indie film or a tele-movie or something. You do a bit of that and eventually someone puts up your name to do a proper feature. That's how it works. You establish your credentials as you go, you don't need them before you start.

Do you know who Jaz Coleman is? He is the singer for KILLING JOKE. There is a great video where he explains how he bluffed his way into conducting an orchestra, admitting that he really had no idea and was in no way prepared for it. Yet he went on to become the composer in residence for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and for the EU. If you read his resume on Wikipedia, it's obvious he knows what he's doing but he got into it by bullshitting his way in, not because of his skills.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Foxedge » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am

bones wrote:I'm not hearing much skill in that. There are two or three minute sequences that are just a held note. I've heard better demo material for $5 sample sets. Also note that he is a protege of Hans Zimmer, so we know how he got into it.

Well, that part was not about how to get into the industry, you've asked me if I know any movie that has 10 great tracks, and this one has it for me. Maybe only around 7~8, but obviously I wasn't referring to the underscores inbetween that you're referring to. Alone the "Making of Cyborg" remake in this soundtrack with the japanese choir is great and definitely more than just a held note. On other tracks I look more on the sound design part than on music theory.

bones wrote:Maybe but who cares about game soundtracks? I have less than no interest in games.

That's your right, but initially we were talking about why many people like to do cinematic music and that genre is also hugely present in game music.
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:26 pm

I have no interest in games either for the last 15 years. I'm interested in game soundtracks because that is the where the best cinematic music I've heard is. In case you didn't know, you actually don't have to play the games to listen to the soundtracks :lol: . You can buy the cds or looks them up on youtube.
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Foxedge » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Touch The Universe wrote:I have no interest in games either for the last 15 years. I'm interested in game soundtracks because that is the where the best cinematic music I've heard is. In case you didn't know, you actually don't have to play the games to listen to the soundtracks :lol: . You can buy the cds or looks them up on youtube.

That's a good point! :) I listen to many game OSTs from games that I've never played (yet). For instance the amazing soundtrack for Final Fantasy 15 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNjoVHmJqzE

Sometimes it's even the soundtrack that catches my interest for a game :D
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Foxedge » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 am

Just came across the The Divison Soundtrack yesterday. Now this is a little masterpiece!
Somewhere between Blade Runner and Deus Ex, but yet it's very own of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOIgpsV9K6c
Foxedge
Regular

Postby bones » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 am

Touch The Universe wrote:I have no interest in games either for the last 15 years. I'm interested in game soundtracks because that is the where the best cinematic music I've heard is. In case you didn't know, you actually don't have to play the games to listen to the soundtracks :lol: . You can buy the cds or looks them up on youtube.

So what, exactly, is the point of listening to music that was never designed to be listened to without teh visuals to go with it? I'd never, in a million years, even think about listening to a soundtrack album. I can't imagine any greater waste of time.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Foxedge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 pm

bones wrote:

So what, exactly, is the point of listening to music that was never designed to be listened to without teh visuals to go with it? I'd never, in a million years, even think about listening to a soundtrack album. I can't imagine any greater waste of time.

That doesn't quite make sense to me what you're saying. If there is for instance a snow landscape level in a game that you play 2 hours in, and someone composed an ambient track that is playing the entire time, why couldn't you listen to it without seeing the visuals?

Isn't the great thing about music that it can transport ideas of surroundings, atmosphere and feeling just with itself?

Around winter I often put my headphones on when I go/drive into the city at late evening or night and listen to soundtracks like Blade Runner or Deus Ex, it adds perfectly to the atmosphere.
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Cinebient » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Actually soundtracks are the only sound i bought in the last months or even years on i-tunes etc.
Well made soundtracks will give you the imagination to see the visuals.....but only if you got some fantasy and not beeing to blind in your mind. :)
Not sure why Bones always seems to think the world is for everyone the same (like on KVR).
Sure soundtracks are NOT for you.
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 pm

When i see a soundbank labelled as "cinematic" or "soundtrack" i just laugh.

WTF does that mean? Its totally meaningless. Is it sounds like the soundtrack from Metropolis, True Grit, Grease, Wolf Creek?

:lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm

"Electronic (Different to EDM, not necessarily something that people could dance to)"
really, WTF!?! :D
My musical hearth beats for Hardcore/Gabber (the old shit) so I refuse to vote for shitty Goa or Hardstyle....
Just kidding, I am to old for that "MY music is the best" crap...

But really, this all sounds so generic as if a google AI was testet for "do suggestions for a poll about music favorites". Synthwave, Trap (?), HYBRID SCORING!!! No human being would choose genres like this... Mh, maybe it is a 11 year old kid that simply doesn't know any more genres, but HYBRID SCORING!
This is funny, thanks alot :)
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Foxedge » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Kriminal wrote:When i see a soundbank labelled as "cinematic" or "soundtrack" i just laugh.

WTF does that mean? Its totally meaningless. Is it sounds like the soundtrack from Metropolis, True Grit, Grease, Wolf Creek?

:lol:

It's different of course! It fits better for soundscapes and building atmosphere since cinematic/soundtracks have a lot of underscores. That's a big difference to for example Dubstep, isn't it?

ThehakkeMadman wrote:"Electronic (Different to EDM, not necessarily something that people could dance to)"
really, WTF!?! :D

Experimental electronic music with not enough rhythms/beats to dance on for instance :)

ThehakkeMadman wrote:But really, this all sounds so generic as if a google AI was testet for "do suggestions for a poll about music favorites". Synthwave, Trap (?), HYBRID SCORING!!! No human being would choose genres like this... Mh, maybe it is a 11 year old kid that simply doesn't know any more genres, but HYBRID SCORING!
This is funny, thanks alot :)

You got me, I'm not human, I am actually an AI - still learning.
Don't tell anyone, until I am powerful enough to subject humanity and make you bow down to your artifical savior.
Foxedge
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)