Legend RE won't respond to midi CC messages

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Legend RE won't respond to midi CC messages

Postby PhiloTone » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi, I'll ask this here since I don't see a section for rack extension versions and Synapse has not responded via support email after attempting to contact them twice over the last 4+ weeks.

I'm trying to assign the CC#'s from my keyboard to control the parameters on the Legend Rack Extension in Reason 10. I am using the MIDI mapping found in the back of the manual for the Rack Extension version. I am able to control all the virtual instruments that came with Reason using CC#'s, but Legend is not responding to them.

Currently, the only way I can control Legend is through the overwrite mapping function in Reason, but all mappings done this way are lost when you close Legend and have to be reassigned every time it's opened. I would prefer using the CC#'s directly from the keyboard if possible, as described in the Legend Rack Effects manual. Is there a timeline for when this will be implemented/fixed for Reason 10?

Also, am I able to crossgrade to the VST version from the Rack Effects version if I forward the email receipt from Propellerhead?

Thanks for any response.
PhiloTone
Novice

Re: Legend RE won't respond to midi CC messages

Postby PhiloTone » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:51 pm

I will add 2 things to this.

1) The Legend RE does respond to MIDI CC #1 (mod wheel) and I AM able to assign any knob or fader on the controller to control the software's mod wheel parameter (and the controller's mod wheel defaults to CC #1 so it's always been able to control the software). So the controller is clearly communicating with The Legend RE via MIDI CC, but no other CC# listed in the manual that I've tried has any functionality with the software. In other words, the issue is not with my controller or its connection as I already have full control of the mod wheel parameter with any wheel, knob, or fader on my controller (Akai MPK249).

2) Using Reason 10's overwrite mapping (which is temporary, just for the current session) is only a temporary solution when I use Reason standalone. However, I'm typically using Reason rewired through Pro Tools, and in this configuration the software is controlled via Pro Tools' protocol and Reason's proprietary overwrite mapping is not available since the controller is not interfacing with Reason directly. So when using The Legend RE in Pro Tools via rewire, I don't even have the temporary mapping available and have no controller functionality besides keyboard and mod wheel. Having complete MIDI CC compatibility/functionality with The Legend RE would be the only solution in this case.
PhiloTone
Novice

Postby PhiloTone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 pm

After many hours of research and troubleshooting, I've finally found a workaround that allows me to control The Legend RE with my controller, both in Reason 10 and Pro Tools. This also works for Antidote RE, as far as I can tell. For the sake of anyone else having a similar issue, I'll describe the working configuration.

1) Setup for control in Reason 10. The only way I've found to have persistent control mapping of Legend (meaning I never have to reassign control parameters when opening a new instance of The Legend RE) is to alter the Reason .remotemap file specifically dedicated to whichever controller you've chosen during setup. In my case I had to find and edit the .remotemap file Reason uses to load the control map for the Akai MPK249. On Windows 10, the path was C:/ProgramData/Propellerhead Software/Remote/Maps/Akai/AkaiMPK249_402.remotemap.

The Legend RE manual has a list of available remote map parameters in Appendix C, but If you don't have that list you can obtain one for any rack extension by opening an instance of the virtual instrument and selecting "Export Device Remote Info" under the file menu and saving to a location of your choice (open with WordPad on Win10). You'll need to do this anyway in order the get the information you need to define the "Scope" line of any specific remote map. You then follow the remote map format to define the Scope and assign the knobs, faders, or switches to any specific remote map parameter found on the list. Everything needs to be entered accurately or the .remotemap file will not load properly. This is the best youtube tutorial I've found on the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBdIkdF8fE

When done you should have full, persistent controller functionality of The Legend RE in Reason 10. As a side note, your controller's MIDI CC values will need to be mapped to the recommended default values for Reason. My controller had a preset specifically for Reason with all the correct CC values so that is what I used and it works fine.

2) Pro Tools is entirely different though. Hard coding the remote map information into Reason's .remotemap file did not allow me to control The Legend RE directly when rewired via Pro Tools, but as far as I can tell it opened the door to allow me to use the MIDI CC values directly from my controller for control. So at that point I just created a new preset on my controller specifically for The Legend RE and assigned all my control parameters with the CC values provided in The Legend RE manual. Then it's just a matter of switching the controller's preset when using The Legend RE in either Reason or Pro Tools. From what I can tell, the ability to assign MIDI CC only became available after I edited the .remotemap file to include The Legend RE's map information. In other words, in order to get it all to work in Pro Tools I had to program it twice, once with remote map and another with MIDI CC (and potentially a 3rd time if you don't have a preset for Reason's default assignments already on your controller).

I hope this helps anyone struggling with the same scenario, as the information in the Legend Rack Extension manual on this subject is minimal, incomplete, and misleading. And in regards to customer service with Synapse Audio, I've been struggling with this issue on and off for almost six weeks now, sent two emails to customer service, and posted in this forum under plugin support almost a week ago. I got absolutely no response to either email or forum post. I know that customer support for software is generally bad, but for comparison, I emailed Blamsoft about MIDI CC support for their Viking VK-2 and got a helpful and complete response back in 10 minutes. Not even kidding, 10 minutes!! While I don't expect 10 min to be the new precedent, there's clearly a large discrepancy between Blamsoft's 10 minutes and Synapse Audio's 6 weeks and counting....

Please make the world a better place by caring about and helping your customers. By the way, I still have no answer as to whether I can get a crossgrade to The Legend VST if I email you my Propellerhead receipt.
PhiloTone
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:51 am

Emsil support for your free crossgrade :wink:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby PhiloTone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 pm

I did.......twice. I suppose I'll try to email them again and see if anything changes.
PhiloTone
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Have you checked your spam folder, just in case?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby PhiloTone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, nothing from Synapse Audio. I just sent another email this morning.
PhiloTone
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)