Feature Request for Dune 3

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Feature Request for Dune 3

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't have any idea how far along development of Dune 3 is, but I wanted to throw this out there for consideration. One thing I notice about Dune 2 is how close in structure it is to the Yamaha Motif XS series and later synths. Like Dune 2, they have up to 8 parts (what they call "elements") each with its own oscillator, wave forms etc). All of that is available in what Yamaha calls "Voice" mode...where you call up a single patch made up of the combined characteristics of up to 8 elements, just like we can with Dune 2. But there another mode called "Performance Mode" where you can combine up to 4 patches, each with its own ARP (or not), and effects.

I've thought it would be cool to have a performance mode equivalent with the next version of Dune, and the ability to route the audio outputs of each separately. It might be too hard on the resources to pull this off, I don't know. But thought I'd mention it, just in case it might be something worth considering.

Thanks, Synapse team, for making such a versatile and great sounding VI!

Donald M
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Feature Request for Dune 3

Postby bones » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 am

Development is well advanced now so I don't think it would be reasonable to expect any action on a feature request at this stage. What you describe sounds like a variation on Korg's "Program" and "Combination" modes, which have been around since the M1 in 1990. In the microX, for example, you could have a Combination that used one arp to play a drum pattern, the second arp to play a bassline and you could then play something else over the top. We actually recorded a couple of those things for our 3rd album because we couldn't get close to the same effect in software.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby DonnieAlan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm

bones wrote:Development is well advanced now so I don't think it would be reasonable to expect any action on a feature request at this stage. What you describe sounds like a variation on Korg's "Program" and "Combination" modes, which have been around since the M1 in 1990. In the microX, for example, you could have a Combination that used one arp to play a drum pattern, the second arp to play a bassline and you could then play something else over the top. We actually recorded a couple of those things for our 3rd album because we couldn't get close to the same effect in software.

Yes, a lot of the mid 90's synths had similar features. Some VI's have a similar structure as well, such as Onmisphere (up to 8 parts), AIR Transfuser, Structure and Xpand and a few others. You're probably right about the stage of development for Dune 3, though. It was just a thought!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby synthbum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 am

I would like so see something added to dune 3. Please consider adding phase distortion next to the ring modulation or maybe add several synth methods to choose from in one slider. Frankly I think it sounds good just the way it is since I'm knowing Dune 2 more and more.
I think may have talked about this but consider adding an option to switch between (equal temperament) and (fine tuning) on each individual keys or which keys we select. Highlight them visually indicating which keys to be played and which ones not to be played. Something like you see on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqa2Hbb_eIs
This only applies of what awesome patches we're creating.
synthbum
Novice

Postby Foxedge » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Imho Dune 3 definitely needs a new Arpeggiator interface. I don't quite understand why it still has the old interface as it's not much fun to program, due to its slowness. There are a lot of visual arps out there on other VSTs that you can just draw with your mouse and programm super fast, and it's a lot of fun! Would love to see that in Dune 3.

This is what I'm talking about:
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:55 pm

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Those sorts of interfaces are quite awful. Each to their own I suppose though!
Mark

Postby Foxedge » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Mark wrote:I'm sorry, but I disagree. Those sorts of interfaces are quite awful. Each to their own I suppose though!

I didn't mean the whole interface with all the stuff around, just the visual arp sequencer :) I don't know what is to find awful on being able to draw a few notes instantly in instead of picking them all solo with the mouse and dragging them slowly. It's still okay, but it doesn't do 2018 justice.

Especially if you link the velocity values to parameters and have to do it for every single note instead of just drawing in.
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:23 pm

I'm not against the feature request but I'd prefer to see the Note Value than a Bar. On some synths I find adjusting the Bars a bit fiddly. It would be nice to able to draw more Arp steps in one go though.

But I agree that any improvements to D3's Arps would be welcome. For example one of the other synths I use allows you to record notes from your midi controller which I find useful since I can see different patterns with the keys than I can with just entering +5 -12 etc. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)