User presets vanished

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

User presets vanished

Postby BassBus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Hope someone can help with this. When I started using Dune 3 I altered several patches and saved them under my own title for each. Clicking on 'load a preset' brought them up no problem but this last week clicking 'load preset' shows absolutely nothing. I'm sure it must be some setting I might have changed. Anyone experienced this? Using a PC with Dune on the back of Cubase. Windows 10 and full activated version of Dune 3.
BassBus
Novice

Re: User presets vanished

Postby Teksonik » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:46 am

The presets should be somewhere in Documents > Synapse Audio > DUNE 3 > Soundbanks and then whatever folder you saved them in.

Check to see if they're still in that location first.

"Load Patch" should open up the last folder that a patch was saved in. There's really no setting Dune 3 that could change anything.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby BassBus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:18 am

Thinking back to last week when this happened when I openned it up it had no presets at all, just an initialized patch. Had to reinstall the VST and all worked again but none of my patches. I suspect they have all gone. Worse things could happen.

What I don't understand is where patches I edit are saved to when I put them under a new name. I've tried saving a new patch and it comes up in the menu when I press 'load preset'. I can't find it in any list though and don't seem to be able to find a 'user' list. I know this is all about the learning process.
BassBus
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:43 pm

have you updated Win10 recently?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Yes this could be the same Win 10 update issue some others are reporting but I don't know why only certain files go missing.

I think it only effects the latest update to Win 10 version 20-04 though. I let my laptop take the 20-04 "update" and the maintenance update from the 17th and all my Dune 3 patches are still there so maybe I just got lucky.

If you did do an update you could roll back to an earlier version and you may get your files back.

I found this article dated Oct 17 in regards to missing files after a Win 10 update:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a1a973f01b

BassBus wrote:I can't find it in any list though and don't seem to be able to find a 'user' list.

There isn't a list. Preset files are handled just like any other file on your system. They reside in folders and subfolders. If you create a new folder called BassBus and save your patches in there then when you select "Load Patch" it should automatically open up to that folder.

D3 102020-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:15 pm

also, to add to the above advice.... if a tweaked a preset and saved it (without or without changing name) it prob saved in the original folder it was in, so you might try looking there, or...

it may be in the root folder, so should be in a list when you browse folders (usually there are a few presets there, demo bank i think)

best thing to do is make a new folder (your name) and make sure you always save to that folder
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby BassBus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks for the help guys that's really useful. I'm auto updates for windows and it did do one (pun inteded) last week. The guy who built the PC for me has said in the past he is often called in to reset machines following Windows updates. Glad I'm not alone here. I have some more time available tomorrow so will look into things a bit more.
BassBus
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)