How on Earth is this Dune3 so efficient?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

How on Earth is this Dune3 so efficient?

Postby karmoon » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:24 am

Honestly, the efficiency of Dune3 (and other Synapse synths) is obscene.

Using an old shitty laptop, and no amount of unison seems to increase CPU use. Dune seems more efficient than even ancient plugins like Hybrid3. The thing is that Dune3 sounds great too; it doesn't compromise in quality at all.

How the hell is that even possible?

Actually, don't bother explaining it to me - I won't understand why. I'll leave coding to the professionals so I can focus on making music.

But damn, what an absolute joy to use. It has just the right amount of modulation and options to give it meaningful depth, but limits them carefully to preserve a practical workflow. This synth has opened up a ton of options for me in terms of what is possible.

Dune3 has established itself firmly as my 'workhorse synth'. It has the trifecta of incredible performance, great sound and fast workflow. The fact it's not on ilok is also a huge joy to me. The preset system is durable and very important to me. It means I can make patches on my shitty laptop on the road, and then easily transfer them to my main studio rig.

My only regret is not investing in this synth sooner. I thought I had myself covered with Arturia, U-he, TAL, UVI...but Synapse have crafted something that still makes itself relevant. And none of those other companies make 'bad' synths - they're great too. That's what makes Dune3 so impressive.

My only request would be for drag and drop modulation from the tabs at the bottom (so you drag the LFO1 label to the parameter you want to modulate and it automatically creates the entry in the modmatrix).

Absolutely incredible. Very happy. I am surely going to rant about this synth to everyone on other forums and social media.

I don't need any replies or anything. I just hope someone on the Synapse team reads this so that they know their work is greatly appreciated.
karmoon
Novice

Re: How on Earth is this Dune3 so efficient?

Postby wonner » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:44 am

I agree 100%. I too recently discovered Dune and couldn't believe I had somehow not found it sooner. The sound quality is at whole other level compared to most other VSTs.

Kudos to the team!
wonner
Novice

Postby Jouni » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:02 pm

Yes I can agree. This has been Richard's "secret" always since the Orion times. Very performant code and deep knowledge in DSP with good compiler settings for optimizations. You can set multiple instances of Dune with no sweat and yet the sound quality is absolutely top. My favourite as well. As to top this, also make sure you have the other Synapse synthesizers. Sonically as good, low CPU and nicely complement Dune in areas that need more analogue style.

The Dune is almost all the synth and DSP knowledge Richard has done in the past 20 years and being privileged to see the underhood code, I can say it's very solid. I would buy hardware Dune if such existed. Without any trouble, it would fit right next to all the big names.
Jouni
Godlike

Postby Chill Science » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:40 pm

According to the various forums out there, DUNE sounds like hardware.
Personally I think it outperforms hardware, not to mention the fact that the workflow is faster.
I use it with Bitwig. Match made in Heaven from a controller integration viewpoint.
Chill Science
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)