Clicks on note start when using sine wave

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Clicks on note start when using sine wave

Postby stekra » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:20 am

Hi,
I tried to find this topic in the forum but was not successful.

Problem:
I want to generate a sinus wave as root note sub content for a bass sound to get a clean low end.
To test it, I played a midi pattern with different notes and fully sustained Amp and Filter envelopes.
Whatever Dune settings I use, I always get clicks on the start of each note.
I already tried to get rid of the clicks by using the Init Phase modulation parameter, like shown in my attached picture.
That reduced the clicks but still is not working all the time, as not every wave of a note is ending on "0" (see second picture) so that the following note, that starts at "0", is producing a click.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 080609.png

Screenshot 2023-11-12 081158.png

This is a screenshot of a note change without Init Phase Modulation. It lead to a more severe click.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 081536.png

I also tried Serum and Ableton Wavetable and they do not produce these clicks.
Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks, Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stekra
Novice

Re: Clicks on note start when using sine wave

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:56 am

Welcome to the forum Stefan! :)

Firstly, it is sufficient to activate the RESET button in the Osc section, the Init Phase is not needed here, but it does not hurt either.

Secondly, the Release is set to zero, try a larger value there, otherwise that will cause clicks on Sine waves, as soon as you release a key. Should you still encounter problems, use higher polyphony (e.g. 4 or more voices). Then it'll work nicely for sure.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby stekra » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi Richard,

thanks for your kind welcome.
I tried what you suggested but still, there are clicks and the waveform shows jumps when a new note is played.
There seems also be an influence of the release parameter as the waveform of a new note start lower in gain and increases over time.
I guess that is a matter effect of the release settings and should be "smaller" with lower release time.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 182126.png

These are my Dune 3 settings:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 182021.png

Raising the Attack of the Amp envelope does not help, as the click only vanishes with high settings and this leads to a kind of pumping effect, which I don't want to introduce.

When I use the Init Phase in den Modulation Matrix and set it to "0", this waveform with clicks is produced:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 183613.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stekra on Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stekra
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:33 pm

Are you concatening the notes with no space in between? In that case, the release stage of one note is going to overlap with the attack of the next. Also note that since the sine wave is hard-reset to zero, it will be out of phase with the previous note almost always, which will be audible for sure.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby stekra » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:48 pm

Okay. Understand.
I did place the notes without space between them.
But even with space, there is an audible click.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 184630.png

And without release, there is an even louder click:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 184936.png

What would be a setting without a click?
I am not able to produce one.
Maybe I am too critic at this moment, as I am looking for a kind of perfect solution.
stekra
Novice

Postby stekra » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:54 pm

This is a sine wave without spaces between notes and no release of the Amp envelope from Serum. No clicks.
Screenshot 2023-11-13 185341.png

There are even no clicks in Serum when I switch every other note one octave up:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 185632.png
stekra
Novice

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:08 pm

Does inserting LowCut + KT in to Filter FX help? I hear a low thud when I repeat what you are doing. Increasing the LowCut + KT seems to remove at least some of the thud that I hear.

Edit: I find a level around 20 % helps. Also, a bit of Amp release helps
Mark

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:17 pm

One perfect solution would be to sustain a note for as long as needed and only change the pitch. This can be accomplished in various ways, e.g. simply the pitch bender, or via the arpeggiator in "Silent" mode then adding a line "Arp Note" "+100" "Pitch" to the modulation matrix. This would bypass the effect of the amplitude envelope completely.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby stekra » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:45 pm

Okay. Thanks. Will have to read the handbook for the silent arp version. Playing with the new features of version 3.6. Great stuff and well done. And thx for the update.
stekra
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)