Bread and butter soundsets for DUNE

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Bread and butter soundsets for DUNE

Postby megawattt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Mark.
I could take the GM patches from the first bank, polish them up a bit more and add your requests to it to make a mini-GM bank (64 patches). I wouldn't have time to do a full bank just yet

That would be a brill idea if you get the time to do it

I would love to hear the below sounds somehow tweaked slightly to bring them into the 21st century : -

1. Acoustic Grand Piano 65. Soprano Sax
2. Bright Acoustic Piano 66. Alto Sax
3. Electric Grand Piano 67. Tenor Sax
4. Honky-tonk Piano 68. Baritone Sax
5. Electric Piano 1 69. Oboe
6. Electric Piano 2 70. English Horn
7. Harpsichord 71. Bassoon
8. Clavi 72. Clarinet
9. Celesta 73. Piccolo
10. Glockenspiel 74. Flute
11. Music Box 75. Recorder
12. Vibraphone 76. Pan Flute
13. Marimba 77. Blown Bottle
14. Xylophone 78. Shakuhachi
15. Tubular Bells 79. Whistle
16. Dulcimer
41. Violin 105. Sitar
42. Viola 106. Banjo
43. Cello 107. Shamisen
44. Contrabass 108. Koto
45. Tremolo Strings 109. Kalimba
46. Pizzicato Strings 110. Bag pipe
47. Orchestral Harp 111. Fiddle
48. Timpani 112. Shanai
49. String Ensemble 1 113. Tinkle Bell
50. String Ensemble 2 114. Agogo
51. SynthStrings 1 115. Steel Drums
52. SynthStrings 2 116. Woodblock
53. Choir Aahs
117. Taiko Drum
54. Voice Oohs 118. Melodic Tom
55. Synth Voice 119. Synth Drum
56. Orchestra Hit 120. Reverse Cymbal
57. Trumpet 121. Guitar Fret Noise
58. Trombone 122. Breath Noise
59. Tuba 123. Seashore
60. Muted Trumpet 61. French Horn
62. Brass Section 126. Helicopter
63. SynthBrass 1
64. SynthBrass 2
megawattt
Regular

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I know what sounds are in the GM specification, which ones are you most interested in? :lol:
Mark

Postby megawattt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 pm

I like all of them :D but if i was pushed it would be Timpani ,Tremolo Strings , Pizzicato Strings ,Violin ,Choir Aahs ,Voice Oohs ,Orchestra Hit ,Reverse Cymbal ,Agogo ,Glockenspiel ,Xylophone ,Celesta ,Music Box ,Harpsichord ,Tubular Bells ,Clavi ,String Ensemble,Piccolo.
megawattt
Regular

Postby knechtodawas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 pm

megawattt wrote:I like all of them :D but if i was pushed it would be Timpani ,Tremolo Strings , Pizzicato Strings ,Violin ,Choir Aahs ,Voice Oohs ,Orchestra Hit ,Reverse Cymbal ,Agogo ,Glockenspiel ,Xylophone ,Celesta ,Music Box ,Harpsichord ,Tubular Bells ,Clavi ,String Ensemble,Piccolo.

Maybe an entry level orchestra library would fit your needs more than a Dune Soundbank? :wink:
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

These are the ones that I have done already or can transform existing sounds in to:

Timpani ,Tremolo Strings , Pizzicato Strings ,Violin ,Choir Aahs ,Voice Oohs , Reverse Cymbal ,Glockenspiel ,Xylophone ,Celesta ,Music Box ,Harpsichord ,Tubular Bells ,Clavi ,String Ensemble,Piccolo.
Mark

Postby megawattt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:22 pm

knechtodawas wrote:
megawattt wrote:I like all of them :D but if i was pushed it would be Timpani ,Tremolo Strings , Pizzicato Strings ,Violin ,Choir Aahs ,Voice Oohs ,Orchestra Hit ,Reverse Cymbal ,Agogo ,Glockenspiel ,Xylophone ,Celesta ,Music Box ,Harpsichord ,Tubular Bells ,Clavi ,String Ensemble,Piccolo.

Maybe an entry level orchestra library would fit your needs more than a Dune Soundbank? :wink:

I really like DUNE and would like it to be my "Go to" synth for most of my needs :)
megawattt
Regular

Postby megawattt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Mark wrote:These are the ones that I have done already or can transform existing sounds in to:

Timpani ,Tremolo Strings , Pizzicato Strings ,Violin ,Choir Aahs ,Voice Oohs , Reverse Cymbal ,Glockenspiel ,Xylophone ,Celesta ,Music Box ,Harpsichord ,Tubular Bells ,Clavi ,String Ensemble,Piccolo.

Many thanks for your help Mark :)
megawattt
Regular

Postby Reny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Mark wrote:These are the ones that I have done already or can transform existing sounds in to:

Could you please give some demo for Xylophone and Music Box? Really would like to hear them. Xylophone is something, what is really hard to find, good sounding.
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

He he, I didn't say they were good sounding, but hopefully close enough. I get the impression that music box is very much open to interpretation (at least on the GM-compatible hardware that I own). I'll try to post something later. Busy at work atm and have visitors this evening.
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Seriously every one of those sounds would be done better in Soundfonts. Not that Dune couldn't replicate some of those sounds and I understand the academic challenge it would present but again you're asking a screwdriver to do the work of a hammer....while all along there are free hammers available for use (on the subject of Hammers....try Hammersound for a ton of free Soundfonts and load them into Orion's Sampler or the SF player of your choice (SFZ is free as well) :)

http://www.hammersound.net/

---
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:02 am

Each to there own? I agree with the sentiment of having one go to synth and there ain't many better than DUNE. It's certainly my first port of call synth.
Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

Mine too, I even started using it for my bass sounds almost exclusively now, and not just that but much more. However, I have to agree with Tek. If the sounds of GM are what megawatt is after, he might be better off using SoundFonts, instead trying to have people recreate every one of them in DUNE.

And yes, Hammersound has some nice SF's over there.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:20 am

Sure, hammersounds has some good stuff, but there are still some people who want to stick to pure synthesis methods for their sounds.
Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 am

I'm not disputing that, I just don't see the point. Either you will stick to the authentic sounds, or you'll go with synthesis.

Say you're looking for an authentic piano sound, you have 2 options:
1. Get a recorded piano sound, or
2. Try to get a piano sound via synthesis.

However, you can't get an authentic piano sound by synthesizing it. You can end with one of two results:
1. You will get the piano sound you were looking for, or
2. You will try to get a piano sound, will fail, but you might end up with something entirely different and cool.

Like Tek said, recreating the GM sounds would be an academic endeavor. if you're looking for authentic sounds, either record them, or get something others recorded for you, and soundfonts can be decent for that use. Really, what is the purpose in reinventing the sounds that are already there, just waiting to be loaded?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 am

Here's a ditty called Triplets by George Hamilton Green, Jr, who was a xylophonist. Taste warning for those who only listen to EDM etc. :lol:

http://www.box.com/s/6ad2861ef3b210bc245f

One patch is an attempt at a xylophone. I've taken the liberty of changing the other instrument to an attempt at a harpsichord patch. Either way, they aren't dance sounds ;) :D

Edit: I should say that the MIDI file I used was arranged by Robbie Rhodes and was downloaded from the following site:

http://www.mmdigest.com/Gallery/Sounds/index.html

Edit 2: For those that prefer streaming from Soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/markholt/dune-interferon-xylophone-and
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)