DUNE 2 is out!

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE 2 is out!

Postby Richard » Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 pm

DUNE 2 is finally available!

Listen to the Audio Demos here:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/dune2.html

Grab the free demo version here:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/download.html

Overview

The design goal of DUNE 2 was to increase both the sound quality and the versatility of the synthesizer as much as possible, compared to its predecessor. We're very happy with the result and hope you will be, too!

Oscillator concept

Dune 2 comes with two stereo oscillator stacks, each stack can emit up to 32 oscillators with adjustable Detune, Pan Spread and a variety of tuning modes. Each stack can be toggled between virtual-analog (VA), Wavetable (WT) and FM Synthesis. A third oscillator can be used as a sub-oscillator.

Overall up to 65 oscillators are available per voice. Since Dune 2 also features 8x unison, up to 520 oscillators can be synthesized per note. Since Dune 2 is furthermore a polyphonic synthesizer with 16 voices, the overall maximum is 8320 oscillators playing simultaneously.

A stereo noise generator complements the oscillator section.

Filter

Dune 2 introduces zero-delay feedback filters, which more closely mimic the behavior of analog hardware. A drive parameter allows to adjust the saturation characteristic (important when using strong resonance). Most filters can reach self-oscillation and have proper resonant tuning.

A separate filter effect section offers special effects like Bitcrush, Ratecrush, Distortion, etc and can be used pre- or post-filter.

Graphical Envelopes

Dune 2 introduces four multiple segment envelope generators (MSEG). MSEGs can be used to draw precise custom envelopes, or they can be used in loop mode tempo sync'ed to the host, which allows to create rhythmic effects such as the well-known "trance gate" effect.

Unison

One of the most important changes in Dune 2 is the ability to edit all 8 unison voices directly, essentially turning Dune 2 into a multi-part synthesizer. This allows to stack completely different sounds, using different synthesis models (VA, FM, Wavetable), a different filter, etc.

Arpeggiator

The arpeggiator now offers the classic up/down/random etc modes in addition to its sequencer. The sequencer adds a slide feature and allows to import MIDI files. Polyphonic MIDI sequences can be played back as well.

Master Effects

Dune 2 features two master effect chains, each containing 9 effects. The new effects offer higher quality and more parameters than previously. Effect parameters can be modulated via the modulation matrix.

Patch Management

The patch management in Dune 2 is now based on files and folders, to simplify patch management. When launching Dune 2, all available banks will be scanned automatically. This greatly simplifies using third party content, as it is no longer necessary to explicitly load banks. Sound design becomes easier, as the file-based system allows to duplicate, remove, and rename patches, and to sort them in arbitrary categories. Additional standard functions like Initialize and Revert Patch speed up the workflow.

Audio-Rate Modulation

The new engine can be set to audio-rate modulation mode, allowing all synthesizer parameters (except the master effects) to be modulated at audio-rate. Audio-rate modulation is very CPU-intensive, but allows to develop new sounds with rapid modulations previously not possible. Furthermore it is useful for percussive sounds such as kick drums.

Multi-threaded processing

In order to achieve a higher sound quality, most DSP algorithms employed in Dune 2 are much more complex than in Dune 1. This also means a higher CPU load, at least in theory. In practice the optimized SSE vector code, as well as the multi-threaded engine lower the processor load substantially. A modern PC or Mac with an i5 quad core or better is required, however.

Final Note:

DUNE 2 is structurally different from DUNE 1 in many areas, and thus not compatible with it. Both run just fine in parallel, however. There is no need to uninstall DUNE 1 prior to installing DUNE 2.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Re: DUNE 2 is out!

Postby Andy-b » Fri May 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Andy-b
Regular

Postby Mark » Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Congratulations Richard and Marcin :dance:
Mark

Postby Steven_Blair » Fri May 02, 2014 2:14 pm

That is so bought tonight!
Steven_Blair
Apprentice

Postby Quickmix » Fri May 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Bought....
Quickmix
Novice

Postby chimp_spanner » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Purchased...Cubase is loading...first impressions incoming!
Lenovo Z500T: i7 3632QM, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Cubase 7.5
chimp_spanner
Novice

Postby poppers » Fri May 02, 2014 3:26 pm

The Gui is to big (height) in Logic Pro X, can it be resized?
poppers
Novice

Postby chimp_spanner » Fri May 02, 2014 3:30 pm

First of all it sounds absolutely amazing. This is a Nexus killer for me. Amazing work guys. Gonna take me a while to get to grips with it fully. It's more CPU intensive than Dune 1 (obviously) but I can see that it's only using it where it has to. So it can be as complex or as simple as I need it to be, so that's good!

The only issue I've got at the moment is that it's performing worse at higher buffer settings than at low ones. So at 96 samples my average CPU use is say, 50%. At 128 the average use is 20% but the real time is spiking at 100%. Any ideas? Sorry I know this is kind of a technical thing!

More than anything that, amazing job guys. Can't wait to delve into this.
Cubase 7.5
chimp_spanner
Novice

Postby piel » Fri May 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Bought!
piel
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Fri May 02, 2014 4:01 pm

poppers wrote:The Gui is to big (height) in Logic Pro X, can it be resized?

no, you will have to change your screen resolution.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby cosmicrain » Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 pm

im try the Demo....... firs impresion is ......... :cowboy: :cowboy: :santa: :drool: :drool:

Nice deep sound.....very clear! ill make some more tests
thanx for this
cosmicrain
Novice

Postby DaZoid » Fri May 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Toll, Richard! Congrats!

Probiere es gleich mal aus. Dune 1 ist oft in meinen Arragements. Maybe 2 even more often.

:dance:
DaZoid
Guru

Postby AmeyahAudio » Fri May 02, 2014 4:46 pm

looking really good! the sound is a lot warmer. :dance:

one question! where are the waveforms from dune 1?
AmeyahAudio
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri May 02, 2014 5:09 pm

its called 'legacy' i thnk
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby chimp_spanner » Fri May 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Can anyone test their ASIO performance with higher buffer settings? I get a higher average CPU load but a clean sound at lower settings, and a lower CPU load but lots of clicks and pops at higher settings. Specs in signature. Can anyone replicate?
Cubase 7.5
chimp_spanner
Novice

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)