Factory MIDI Files - Where are they?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Factory MIDI Files - Where are they?

Postby dhearn3 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi,

Love Dune 2 completely. In the patch "Brick Wall" there is a MIDI file called Trance05. Where does this MIDI file exist on my Mac? Search doesn't find it, and I would like to copy and then alter it.

TIA,

Dave Hearn
dhearn3
Novice

Re: Factory MIDI Files - Where are they?

Postby Christophe » Thu May 15, 2014 7:39 pm

this is not a file, you can't find it
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby dhearn3 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:15 am

Christophe wrote:this is not a file, you can't find it

Thank you for the answer, Christophe. Is it possible for a user to build patches with embedded MIDI as well? It would be lovely to be able to edit these .mid files within Dune 2.
dhearn3
Novice

Postby Christophe » Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 am

dhearn3 wrote:
Christophe wrote:this is not a file, you can't find it

Thank you for the answer, Christophe. Is it possible for a user to build patches with embedded MIDI as well? It would be lovely to be able to edit these .mid files within Dune 2.

in the mod matrix, click on arp, select midi on the top left and preset to the top right then load midi file
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Teksonik » Fri May 16, 2014 11:34 am

dhearn3 wrote: Is it possible for a user to build patches with embedded MIDI as well? It would be lovely to be able to edit these .mid files within Dune 2.

You can just make a copy of the Brick Wall patch and then edit it.....you'll keep the embedded midi file in that case.

A lot of people are asking for Save Midi and Save/Load MSEG files so maybe these features will make it into a future update......or maybe not as Rich seems to have some reservations........ :?

Another option for now would be for the sound designers to provide the actual .mid files used in their patches but of course that's up to them individually......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby dhearn3 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Teksonik wrote:A lot of people are asking for Save Midi and Save/Load MSEG files so maybe these features will make it into a future update......or maybe not as Rich seems to have some reservations........

I guess I'm just curious how they embed the MIDI files in the first place. If a designer can do it, it must be possible for others to do it too.

Teksonik wrote:You can just make a copy of the Brick Wall patch and then edit it.....you'll keep the embedded midi file in that case.

That isn't quite what I wish for because the user has no access to the MIDI file. I can edit the synth voices, but not the MIDI.

All of this should be placed in the proper context. The functionality of Dune 2 is terrific and it sounds spectacular. But, put me in the camp that is asking for the ability to save MIDI and MSEG files, and to be able for a humble user to be able to embed MIDI files in the patches.
dhearn3
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri May 16, 2014 11:20 pm

dhearn3 wrote: and to be able for a humble user to be able to embed MIDI files in the patches.

You can do that already. Create your midi file in your favorite sequencer, load it in to DUNE 2 and you're good to go. Then if you share that patch with someone else they don't need to have the actual midi file on their drive to play the patch. Much better than having to keep track of which midi file goes with which patch....... :D
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 pm

I think the argument against allowing the user to export Midi Files from a patch is that third party sound designers may not want their sequences shared with other users or as was pointed out used in other products from other companies..........

That is a pretty compelling argument against allowing export...............
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby rob_lee » Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 am

@OP

Maybe just knock up your own midi and import them in to Dune 2 ? It should take no longer than 5 minutes to come up with a cool riff and then import. The factory ones are hardwired. I have the midi from my own patches but again, this takes a few minutes to create and import. At least you know there all original if you roll your own :D

Rob
rob_lee
Regular

Postby Christophe » Sat May 17, 2014 11:33 am

dhearn3 wrote:If a designer can do it, it must be possible for others to do it too.

In the mod matrix, click on arp, select midi on the top left and preset to the top right then load midi file
Christophe

Postby dhearn3 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:02 am

rob_lee wrote:@OP

Maybe just knock up your own midi and import them in to Dune 2 ? It should take no longer than 5 minutes to come up with a cool riff and then import. The factory ones are hardwired. I have the midi from my own patches but again, this takes a few minutes to create and import. At least you know there all original if you roll your own :D

Rob

I'm very happy to roll my own, as you put it, and btw I bought your patches as well as the Renegade patches and like them both.
Thanks for taking the time to make the patches.
dhearn3
Novice

Postby dhearn3 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:03 am

Christophe wrote:
dhearn3 wrote:If a designer can do it, it must be possible for others to do it too.

In the mod matrix, click on arp, select midi on the top left and preset to the top right then load midi file

Ahhhh! Christophe! This is what I was looking for! Thanks!
dhearn3
Novice

Postby rob_lee » Thu May 22, 2014 7:28 am

dhearn3 wrote:I'm very happy to roll my own, as you put it, and btw I bought your patches as well as the Renegade patches and like them both.

Sorry mate didn't mean to come across like a twat lol.. There'll be midi though in the next bank, thanks i'm happy you liked the first one :)

Rob
rob_lee
Regular

Postby dhearn3 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:09 pm

rob_lee wrote:
dhearn3 wrote:I'm very happy to roll my own, as you put it, and btw I bought your patches as well as the Renegade patches and like them both.

Sorry mate didn't mean to come across like a twat lol.. There'll be midi though in the next bank, thanks i'm happy you liked the first one :)

Rob

No offense taken at all. I'm just learning what the MIDI structure of Dune 2 is. What a great synth! :)
dhearn3
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)