MIDI controller stepping with Dune2 ?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

MIDI controller stepping with Dune2 ?

Postby Sendy » Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi, I'm getting very bad stepping when using MIDI modulations, for example, if you goto the INIT patch, play a high note, set pitchbend to 12 and do some bends of various speeds, on my system at least, I'm hearing bad stepping that's not present using the internal modulation.

Changing the mod samplerate setting doesn't affect it. The quantizing appears to be in time at regular intervals, as opposed to actual MIDI value quantization, and if you squiggle the wheel around you can hear the refresh rate.

This is also true for modwheel, aftertouch, etc, modulating any synth parameter.
Sendy
Novice

Re: MIDI controller stepping?

Postby rob_lee » Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Sendy wrote: if you goto the INIT patch, play a high note, set pitchbend to 12 and do some bends of various speeds

Not happening here, i think someone might post this on the beta forum though (MARK) incase someone else heard of this but i can't reproduce it here.
rob_lee
Regular

Postby Sendy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Forgot to mention, I'm talking about Dune 2. I have some demos. First, audio. Dune 2 first, then Diva.

https://soundcloud.com/sendy/dunesteps

And here's a spectrograph of the above recording, because it's a lot easier to hear when you can see it also:

Sendy
Novice

Postby Mark » Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Just to let you know Sendy, I'm cytospur from KvR. I hope you find the forum useful here, and yes, I will pass on your query to the beta forum :) thanks ROB :D :lol:
Mark

Postby rob_lee » Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Ok just tried this with the Arturia Keylab 49 - Virus TI and a Novation X-Station to see if it was a controller issue... you are right it can be heard clearly.
Welcome to the beta team, nice find :mrgreen:
rob_lee
Regular

Postby Mark » Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 pm

I have just posted a link to this thread in the beta forum. As much info as possible would be much appreciated :)
Mark

Re: MIDI controller stepping with Dune2 ?

Postby xanderevo » Thu May 15, 2014 11:17 am

Hi Rob, seems you have ported the bug from dune1.

I posted several times about dune1 on kvr stepping into logic with pitch bends and a lack of a fix after several months made me abandon the synth,

I just upgraded to dune2 hope this will be looked into, crossing fingers.
xanderevo
Novice

Postby Yorrrrrr » Thu May 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Richard/Synapse have already said this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5747860

It is going to be fixed, I think.
Yorrrrrr
Regular

Postby Richard » Fri May 16, 2014 7:53 am

One more imporant thing to add to the KVR post - a reasonably small buffer size (e.g. 256 samples) should already give a smooth response. Strong smoothing will mostly be useful for larger buffers, but we recommend small to medium buffers as it gives a much better and more instant hardware-like playing feel. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 pm

My buffer size on this computer is 256 samples and as I reported at KVR I can confirm the stepping issue with Aftertouch to Sync Frequency on it..... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Sat May 17, 2014 11:09 pm

The aftertouch stepping will be fixed. Furthermore we'll improve the smoothing for larger audio buffers. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Sendy » Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm

I just want to post a followup, because there was a "development" last night. Apparently, my driver settings have changed without my being aware of them. Whilst some synths like Diva sound fine, I noticed really bad filter stepping in Lush-101, even worse than I got with Dune 2, and since I know Lush-101 has never stepped, I knew something was amiss

So, I switched to "generic low-latency drivers" instead of my M-Audio ASIO drivers, and it has fixed all of the stepping issues with Dune 2 and the newly stepping Lush-101.

I tested the aftertouch, yes, that still needs smoothing out a bit but the pitchbend and MIDI modulation is much better now.

Somewhat puzzled here, as I've been using the M-Audio drivers without event until now. Not sure what happened there, but I figured I'd report the improvements in Dune 2.

My buffer size has always been 2048.
Sendy
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue May 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Sendy wrote:the M-Audio drivers without event until now. Not sure what happened there,

Recent Windows update ? (Win 8.1 perhaps? )

Sendy wrote:My buffer size has always been 2048.

Does that work for real time playing from a midi keyboard ? Do you notice the latency ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Sendy » Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm

To my knowledge I haven't updated anything, though occasionally I get settings mysteriously change themselves overnight.

The 2048 buffer is fine, sounds instant to my ears, Cubase reports 40ms lag. Sometimes I have to move recorded MIDI forwards a bit, sometimes not... My computer is overclocked, don't know how that interacts with buffer size (if at all), in fact my knowledge of this stuff is pretty shaky in general :)

I set the buffer size relatively high because I like to run many, many plugins at once, and the modern synths sound so good like that I never felt a need to lower it.
Sendy
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm

2048 is huge, i couldnt work with that!

Still, the boss said he made some workaround fixes that should suit everyone.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)