Master channel

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Master channel

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 am

I generally don't have anything on the master channel, but when I do I use my very own Expresso plug-in. On the master channel it acts as a limiter, but also has various distortion algorithms inc saturation plus high and low pass filters.
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

Master here usually contains T Rack's White 2A, Brickwall Limiter and sometimes Nomad's Cosmos. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby knechtodawas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Solid Technica wrote:
knechtodawas wrote:This is the master channel of one of my last tracks. Very weird ;).

Master.png

How about pics of the vst settings and some audio examples :mrgreen:

The following clip demonstrates the master chain shown in the screenshot I attached to my first post. First half of the clip is rendered with an empty master bus, second half of the clip is rendered with all the plugins activated:

https://soundcloud.com/mopp-b/lobeholddemo/s-IigM5
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby bones » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:59 pm

My Master strip always has PSP MixSaturator on it and, at least while I'm working, Tug-of-War Compressor (ToW) to give me a rough idea how it might sound after mastering. But when I render the mix, ToW is switched off. I master separately.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:11 pm

knechtodawas wrote:
Solid Technica wrote:
knechtodawas wrote:This is the master channel of one of my last tracks. Very weird ;).

Master.png

How about pics of the vst settings and some audio examples :mrgreen:

The following clip demonstrates the master chain shown in the screenshot I attached to my first post. First half of the clip is rendered with an empty master bus, second half of the clip is rendered with all the plugins activated:

https://soundcloud.com/mopp-b/lobeholddemo/s-IigM5

Cool, thanks for going through the trouble :wink: However the link isn't working. Did you take it down already?
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:44 am

I tell you how my master channel looks - ABSOLOTELY EMPTY!

not efx nor anything else. Maybe a bit of equing. There should never be stuff on the master in case you want you stuff to get mastered by a professional studio/engineer.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:07 am

I'm sorry you don't have the skill to master your own material. :(
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby knechtodawas » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:25 am

Solid Technica wrote:Cool, thanks for going through the trouble :wink: However the link isn't working. Did you take it down already?

Still working fine here :/.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:09 pm

Teksonik wrote:I'm sorry you don't have the skill to master your own material. :(

I bet my ass that there are hardly more than 5 people here on the forum who can master propperly. It s about focusing on the important thing. And I would also not use Orion for mastering. I sometimes master my suff with wavelab. But just to get an idea. I rather let a mastering engineer do it.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby ufo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Probably doesn't matter so much for those of us who are not creating work intended for commercial release.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby Teksonik » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 am

DaZoid wrote:I bet my ass that there are hardly more than 5 people here on the forum who can master propperly.

Define "properly".................

How many times have you actually sent any material to a professional mastering house ?
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Steven_Blair » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

That was one of the reasons I dropped using a Limiter on my final wave, because I was getting a few tracks mastered professionally, and they always told me to remove the limiter so they had some space to make my music sound nice.

After playing around with frequencies and compressors I can pretty much get the same volume out of my tracks now that I did with Elephant, although, it's more guesswork and just fiddling with settings til it sounds good.
Steven_Blair
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am

Steven_Blair wrote:it's more guesswork and just fiddling with settings til it sounds good.

Or you can use plugins to remove the guesswork and fiddling........... :wink:

What dd the professional mastering house do for your tracks that you couldn't do for yourself ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Steven_Blair » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 am

The last time I paid for the mastering service, here is what they guys did (first snippet is my original)

https://soundcloud.com/steven_blair/sets/egyptian-style-mastered

I think my tracks sound a lot louder / clearer than back in 2013, but I don't think it's anywhere good as a pro.

I find it difficult getting the tracks sounding really loud and punchy, as well as having less muddy basslines (although you could argue final mastering might not cure that).
Steven_Blair
Apprentice

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 am

Master.png

Just a note: Of course the picture above shows my master channel when I do not plan to send the track to a mastering engineer ;). Otherwise I would not do any limiting and less compression.
knechtodawas
Regular

Previous

Return to Tips'n'tricks