phase on repeated notes

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

phase on repeated notes

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 am

I don't understand why when I repeatedly hit a note that the sound is phasey? A bit like the fx phaser but it isn't switched on. There must be some sort of technical explaination I haven't read. The sawtooth wave seems to randomly start it's phase or something, is that correct? This preset has the mod const +25 in the mod matrix with osc 2 having 100ct offset and they are in tune (based on previous observation in this forum - Yorrrrrr viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11319).
Here is the basic preset
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzbj8korhsnp8rw/osc1-modfineoffset1.fxp?dl=0
jk-d2
Novice

Re: phase on repeated notes

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 pm

jk-d2 wrote:I don't understand why when I repeatedly hit a note that the sound is phasey? A bit like the fx phaser but it isn't switched on. There must be some sort of technical explaination I haven't read. The sawtooth wave seems to randomly start it's phase or something, is that correct?

Turn on the Reset button........with it off the Osc's are free running. :)

jk-d2 wrote:This preset has the mod const +25 in the mod matrix with osc 2 having 100ct offset and they are in tune (based on previous observation in this forum - Yorrrrrr viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11319).
Here is the basic preset

I'm checking out the patch right now but I'm not coming up with an answer. Maybe it's because it's now 4 AM or maybe it's because I'm stupid......... :lol:

Hopefully Mark will respond....he's much smarter than I am............ :mrgreen:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Even with reset on both the oscillators it sounds phasey. Seems like you have to set the phase to 0 in the mod matrix ('osc 1 init phase'). But this seems to do nothing, still got phasey sound going on, (osc 1 and osc 2 init phase set in mod matrix to 0, source = const)
jk-d2
Novice

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:26 pm

The manual says when reset is enabled then that creates strong phasing effects (when using 1 or more oscillators)...
I don't understand.
jk-d2
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:30 pm

jk-d2 wrote:Even with reset on both the oscillators it sounds phasey.

Not here it doesn't. What's your Density for Osc 1 and 2 and Unison Voice number ?

Initialize a Patch. Set Unison to 1 voice. Set Osc 1 and 2 to 1density. Set Reset to On for both.. No phasing here.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Still here the phasing going on - although more subtle, repeated notes cause inconsistent timbres.
jk-d2
Novice

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Could you post a link to your preset or a screen grab please? It's difficult to answer without all of the info :)
Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Teksonik wrote:
jk-d2 wrote:I don't understand why when I repeatedly hit a note that the sound is phasey? A bit like the fx phaser but it isn't switched on. There must be some sort of technical explaination I haven't read. The sawtooth wave seems to randomly start it's phase or something, is that correct?

Turn on the Reset button........with it off the Osc's are free running. :)

jk-d2 wrote:This preset has the mod const +25 in the mod matrix with osc 2 having 100ct offset and they are in tune (based on previous observation in this forum - Yorrrrrr viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11319).
Here is the basic preset

I'm checking out the patch right now but I'm not coming up with an answer. Maybe it's because it's now 4 AM or maybe it's because I'm stupid......... :lol:

Hopefully Mark will respond....he's much smarter than I am............ :mrgreen:

I'm not sure about your last two comments there :lol:
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Oh I am quite confident that you are much much smarter than I am................ :mrgreen:

Anyway I'm off to work now....will check back this afternoon........ :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Flattery like that will get you almost everywhere :shock: :lol:
Mark

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7be6wz51gup5lk/osc1-2init1.fxp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuihe4a02u153rr/osc1-modfineoffset2norev.fxp?dl=0

osc1-2init1.fxp causes phasing on repeated notes
osc1-modfineoffset2norev.fxp also causes phasing - with a reverb on it sounds really sweet - subtle phasing ambience.
jk-d2
Novice

Postby Yorrrrrr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Looking at the os1-2init1.fxp patch, there is indeed some "phasing" when playing repeated notes , because there is some release on the amp envelope. If the release is 0, the phasing effect is gone. It happens also on other synths (checked on Sylenth1).
Yorrrrrr
Regular

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Yorrrrrr wrote:Looking at the os1-2init1.fxp patch, there is indeed some "phasing" when playing repeated notes , because there is some release on the amp envelope. If the release is 0, the phasing effect is gone. It happens also on other synths (checked on Sylenth1).

I just came to post exactly this. It is just the release tails interacting with the new notes and is perfectly normal. You'd have to hit new notes exactly in phase with he old notes to not get this, which would be impossible when playing manually and near impossible any other way.
Mark

Postby jk-d2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Aha! So the release causes overlapping sounds which are - out of phase?
In monophonic mode seems like this doesn't happen, no sounds overlap. I could maybe think that a 'retrigger sync mode' might cause the overlapping waves to resync. Or am I being stupid?
jk-d2
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:49 am

No of course you're not being stupid but I think you might be worrying too much about numbers and readouts. Just relax and create patches. Obviously DUNE 2 is capable of creating an incredible range of high quality sounds......just let the creative juices flow......... :D
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)