Dune vs Dune 2 problem

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune vs Dune 2 problem

Postby montagnolo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought both Dune and Dune 2 and I find them brilliant. However, I ran into a "problem":

— I can't come too close (at all) recreating a simple string-pad sound, such as a great, warm soft base on Dune - preset called 058 Mellow Pad RH. FAT parameter has been replaced with what on Dune 2, I'd guess DENSITY? What about Dune's LFO1*PW...? I did look into manual, but this is not explained. Dune original both with filter (in this example ladder 24) and envelope sounds much smoother, softer...

I do have some subtractive synthesis background, however, I think this calls for a specific answer from more expert person on Dunes.

Please help... :)

Thank you.
montagnolo
Novice

Re: Dune vs Dune 2 problem

Postby montagnolo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Bump...
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Try using DUNE 2's "Dune 4P" filter under DUNE1 in the drop down menu to recreate that patch although it uses D1's LP Ladder 24 filter.. As for "LFO1*PW" I don't see that but I do see LFO1*MW which simply controls an LFO with the Mod Wheel.

EDIT: Try using a Lowpass Filter effect on DUNE 2 to get the smooth sounds of that patch.
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby montagnolo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:43 pm

...hm, thanks for a reply. Sure, the filter choice, as I know, is obvious, but everyhting else sounds night and day here (dune vs dune 2). In this example of a sooooft string-pad, Dune 1 much softer and smoother...I think I'm missing sth here, Dune 2 must be able to recreate such a pad...
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 pm

I got about 25% into recreating that patch. Use the Lowpass Filter Effect to smooth out D2's sound (try different Filters and Filter Effects which might not be so obvious) then just try to copy the parameters one by one and you should be able to recreate that patch pretty close to 100%. :)

Oh and since you own both Dune 1 and 2 just use version 1 if you like some of it's sounds better.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby montagnolo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 pm

I know, Teksonik, I can use Dune 1 np. BUT...I want to understand where so much difference comes from...and kinda refuse that Dune can sound so softer and nicer for such a pad...I mean we talking quite basic VA pad here, no special WT stuff involved.
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Diff filters, diff envs, diff osc, diff fx...all add up to diff sounds
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby montagnolo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:25 pm

...so different it should be called NUDE instead of DUNE :D

A little joke.

Well. OK I'd still like to hear some "insider comment" on what replaces FAT parameter exactly in Dune 2 and what that LFO1*PW, as I found out it does some nice modulation on that sound...anyone please? Sorry, I don't believe that an explanation of what became what between D1 and D2 is nonsense...although two different, non-compatible synths...
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Solid Technica » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:46 am

Same goes for the basses that I've tried to recreated in Dune 2. Dune 1 had some beautiful basses, but couldn't recreate them in Dune 2. Dune 2 also can produce some amazing basses with the megs too, just not as smooth and plucky a s f a s t. Cheers
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:10 am

Fat is replaced by density, and you have more control/options.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby montagnolo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:00 am

I guess you're right, Solid, I have noticed such a thing myself. However, starting from scratch, initialized, I created some really great lush strings on D2.

A direct comparison, regardless of filter chosen, I still think D1 is smoother, softer. Also harder to get into that "phasy, notch-like" harshness of D2. I believe it may be due to fine-tuning D2 - so many options...
I must also dig in deeper to have working with layers, voices and extensive modulation.

Well, glad I have both D1 and D2. I have a decent collection of softsynths, also Diva, for example, and looking into which one I will use for what, they are all so different :)

I'd like to figure out the replacement for that LFO*1 PW (pulse width), to find exactly how it can be replicated on D2.

Cheers!
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:12 pm

montagnolo wrote: Sorry, I don't believe that an explanation of what became what between D1 and D2 is nonsense...although two different, non-compatible synths...

I argued during Beta that DUNE 2 should have a different name since it is quite different than version 1. They really are two different instruments since neither can read the others presets. I can't think of any synth whose version 2 wouldn't read version 1 presets but there may be one or two out there just not in my arsenal. However from a marketing standpoint naming it DUNE 2 and building on the reputation of DUNE 1 made sense.

Anyway as I said before if you work with the Filters and Filter effects you can get that same smooth sound. I only spent a few minutes with it and was able to get close to emulating that patch. Maybe Rob Lee if he is around would be kind enough to do a conversion to show that it is possible.

At any rate you have both instruments so just use them instead of trying to make one sound like the other. Seems like that would save you a lot of time and effort.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby montagnolo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Of course, you are absolutely right. I have both, so will use both. This is all mostly curiosity, having new little toys and want to understand how they work well. That's why some detailed questions.

Yes, by now I managed to create many great string pads, found my way around with mod matrix well, too. Studying complex multilayer sequenced presets too, really cool. I find the interface of D2 better, too.

Also, found out myself now that Sylenth is much harsher sounding, thinner too, most of times. But can't get that metallic roughness from Dune 2 so far :)
montagnolo
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:15 pm

montagnolo wrote:
Well. OK I'd still like to hear some "insider comment" on what what that LFO1*PW, as I found out it does some nice modulation on that sound...anyone please?

P.47 of the manual
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby montagnolo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Kriminal, I know.I did check it. But this is D1 manual and I am looking for an analogy of that particular parameter in D2! :)

That...I haven't found :(

Help if you know it...thanks!
montagnolo
Novice

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)