Modulation sources not in snyc

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Modulation sources not in snyc

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:04 pm

O.k. after there is no sign of something official it´s maybe a bug (if not please forgive me and i just want to do things in Dune 2 which are technical not possible).

First, i´m using the latest LogicProX, 15" MacBookpro retina (late 2013), no additional sound card and of course the latest version of the Dune 2 synth.

The problem is i can use tons of modulators and everything is fine. But when i now f.e. modulate an LFO with another LFO (rate in this case) or MSEG to change the rythm from 8th sync to 16th sync etc. and i set all to sync and mono it just stays in sync when i hit the first notes. When i hold some notes and add new ones in the chord the envelopes of the new notes are not in sync (or perfect legato) like it should. They start slightly off. For me it´s a huge problem because i can´t do routings i want even if they are possible in theory. Only polyphonic LFO/MSEG works here of course but this is not what i want.

I wonder why no one can tell me if it´s a bug (or a fault on my side) or Dune2 just can´t do it. So i know that it makes no sense to make patches like this with Dune2.
That said... i really really love Dune 2 :!:

Greetings
Cinebient
Regular

Re: Modulation sources not in snyc

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:59 pm

I'd like to be able to check this as I modulate modulators a lot. Unfortunately I'm on holiday atm so it is difficult to check. I have been doing cascaded oscillator modulation and that works as expected.

Are you using the LFOs in poly mode btw?
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:05 pm

You've been asked to post a Patch that demonstrates this issue. If those of us on the Beta Team can reproduce this issue we can report it as a bug or design flaw at the Beta Forums and it's likely to get attention there.

Right now we can't rule out user error. I'm not saying that it is user error I'm just saying until we rule that out we can't call it a bug or design flaw.

You were going to release patches for free so I don't see any reason for you not to post just one patch that demonstrates this issue. We'll test it and either confirm it as a bug or maybe someone will come along with a solution. We won't know until we try. That's the process of bug fixing....first confirm it as an actual bug on multiple systems and then move on from there. In the end it may not be a bug but simply a design decision made necessary due to DUNE's multiple layer system. But we won't know until we start the process of testing and the reporting of findings.

Fair enough ? :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:42 pm

So it works if lfo/mseg are poly....why cant you use that?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:25 pm

I mean that i don´t need sync of envelopes in poly mode of course so it doesn´t matter in this case :D
I deleted the patch(es) but i will create a new one and post it here for testing. I hope it´s just my fault... def. possible :roll:
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Works fine here, but im not sure its the same as what you are doing...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:55 pm

This here f.e. When i add or change fast some notes while holding the others it always gets out of sync after a few seconds.
Sometimes it seems to work for a while but mostly not :?:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjalkrsqjq5s0 ... t.fxp?dl=0
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Ok I'll boot up the studio and give it a try right now.............. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Ok I kind of see what you're saying but it's hard to tell for sure. Can you try Const to LFO Init Phase and see if that helps ? Seems to help here but I'm sure we're not playing the same notes exactly the same way so it's not easy to tell if this will fix the issue for you or not............

(I'm using Const -100 for testing purposes)

EDIT: After spending some time with it and making my own patch I seem to think it's more a matter of how notes are triggered. If you play notes out of sync then the patch's timing will go out of sync as expected but I'll let the others give their opinion. And as Krim mentioned switching the LFO's to Poly helps and doesn't effect the purpose of the patch. I'd like for Mark to take a look at your patch as well. If others think this is a bug or something to do with the design we'll post it at the Beta Forums or maybe Rich will see this before then and comment.........
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:57 pm

@Teksonik: Sadly that doesn´t help.... but thank you!
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Ok see my edit above. Let's see what others say and we'll take it from there.............

Another EDIT: Ok after creating a similar patch as close as possible in Sylenth 1 the difference is very noticeable. Sylenth stays synced much better. So I say it wouldn't hurt to bring this up to Rich and see what he says.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Ah, maybe thats it, un-quantized notes.... dunno. Cant try right now.

Did you try my sfs file Cinebient?
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Thank's..... i reproduced this inside most of my other synths and there it works like it should. Only Omnisphere had the same in free run mode but there i can put the LFO to legato where it always is in sync whatever i do. I mean all i do in this patch is controlling the amplitude in mono.... so why should it ever get out of sync whatever and whenever i press a key?
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:34 pm

Kriminal wrote:Ah, maybe thats it, un-quantized notes.... dunno. Cant try right now.

Did you try my sfs file Cinebient?

I'm off from computer at the moment. Just my iPad here......

Will try it later.... thank you!
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:51 pm

i tried your preset, it seems perfectly in sync here. Played all kinds of off beat chords etc... :?
Kriminal
Immortal

Next

Return to Bug Reports