Motu Ethno V.1 Problem

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Motu Ethno V.1 Problem

Postby Nullgrad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:17 pm

I have just upgraded to Win 10 and I am finding Ethno will not open in Orion Platinum although it's being picked up. It fails to open and crashes my PC. It does run in the Standalone version. Orion is up to date....

Any idea's......
Atmosphere /Omnisphere / Discovery Pro / Ethno / Arturia V Collection / Korg Legacy Digital Edition / Waldorf Edition / Garritan Personal Orchestra /Beatmaster / Industrial Tones / Analogue Loops / Industrial Tones /Korg Legacy Analogue Edition
Nullgrad
Novice

Re: Motu Ethno V.1 Problem

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:40 pm

From the Motu Site:

"Are you thinking about upgrading to Windows® 10? Have you already made the jump? Current versions of all MOTU software products and hardware drivers available at motu.com/download (latest versions only) appear to be compatible with Windows 10, although final compatibility testing is still on-going. If you own a MOTU AVB interface and plan to use it with Windows 10, be sure to download and install the latest MOTU AVB Windows Installer".

http://www.motu.com/

Your only hope is that the fix will come from Motu. No fix can be expected from the Orion side.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Nullgrad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply ' I saw that on the MOTU webiste - my version of Ethno is the earlier version. I wasn't planning to upgrade to version 2, but I also don't want to go back to Win 7 where it ran OK.
Atmosphere /Omnisphere / Discovery Pro / Ethno / Arturia V Collection / Korg Legacy Digital Edition / Waldorf Edition / Garritan Personal Orchestra /Beatmaster / Industrial Tones / Analogue Loops / Industrial Tones /Korg Legacy Analogue Edition
Nullgrad
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm sorry then I'm out of suggestions. I'm having similar problems with new plugins in Orion and I imagine it will only get worse as time goes on. :(

Someone suggested IL's Mini Host as a "wrapper" for plugins that don't work in Orion but it doesn't solve my problem. Mini Host is also in beta and I'm not sure it even works in Win 10

http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?entry_id=1391136116

Doesn't look like the Mini Host beta has been updated since April 2014 so I imagine Win 10 compatibility is not assured.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Nullgrad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Am I correct in thinking that Orion Platinum will no longer be supported ?
So far Ethno is the only plug in that will not run in Orion Platinum .
Nullgrad
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Richard has announced there will be no more development of Orion.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Nullgrad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:27 pm

That is bad news I have been a user since the early days......
Nullgrad
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:57 pm

So have I.........since the Orion Pro days. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Reny » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Same here.

I remember I had option to choose Orion Pro or FL, I took Orion Pro, despite that FL had demo project of Aaliyah - Try Again track.

Do you remember times when was this FL vs Orion Pro DAW war? And Orion Pro was rated by many musicians far better than FL.
Crazy days.
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Postby Nullgrad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 pm

There is little chance of me learning how to use another sequencer program, it took me years to get my head around Orion and I'm still discovering new things even now.
Nullgrad
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Reny wrote:Do you remember times when was this FL vs Orion Pro DAW war? And Orion Pro was rated by many musicians far better than FL.
Crazy days.

Oh yes I remember the Orion vs FL wars. I was on the "dark side" for awhile myself. I originally downloaded Fruity Loops to make loops to use in Orion as it allowed .wav export. But then I found myself wanting to save projects so bought a copy.

Orion should have won the War.........shame it has surrendered. :(
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Nullgrad wrote:There is little chance of me learning how to use another sequencer program, it took me years to get my head around Orion and I'm still discovering new things even now.

Well Orion still works even on Win 10 as reported it's just that issues like yours and mine are likely to get worse as time goes on since no developer will bother if anyone reports issues with their plugins in Orion. There is no incentive for a plugin developer to spend any time at all trying to fix issues with a discontinued DAW....Orion or any other.

I've just decided that since I have other DAWs I might as well use them even if the workflow is not as fast as Orion's. At least I know bug fixes and new features will be coming in future versions.........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Nullgrad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Are there any other DAW's out there that like look and function similar to Orion. I will try and keep Orion as long as possible and so far as I stated only Ethno V1 doesn't open in Orion. I am also finding Orion is crashing a bit more too especially if I'm moving notes about with the mouse while playing.

I did have a problem with audacity not finding my external sound card (or the internal one as well) but some how that has sorted itself out.

My only work around with Ethno is going back to Win 7 which would mean I would have to re-authorise several of my plug ins as the operating system will have changed, I have enough problems there every time I format and re-install Windows.

I am not planning to buy any more plug ins as I have more than enough Ace - Omnisphere and Blue 2 being my favourites.
Nullgrad
Novice

Postby dmassive » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:00 pm

If Image Line Minihost Modular didn't solve your problem, you can try with Jbridge with the advantage to run 32 or 64 bits plugins into Orion 32 or 64 bits.

Nullgrad wrote: I will try and keep Orion as long as possible

You are not alone. I'm doing the same. I also tested Orion running on virtual machines, works good, only there is a problem with delay because no ASIO Drivers, but, and this is a good news, I read Windows 10 works much better with audio, so less delay. This will let us run Orion many years.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:28 pm

I think Orion itself will continue to work for quite awhile it's just that issues with new or updated third party plugins will keep popping up. I now have 4 plugins I really like that won't work in Orion not even with the wonky Mini Host workaround so I've just moved on. No hard feelings from me as I understand the decision by Synapse to drop Orion development. I just ask there be no hard feelings towards me for deciding to move on. I guess it would still be rude to discuss other DAWs by name here even though the "War" is over. But if the decision is ever made to restart Orion development I'll be the first in line to test.

Anyway I still use Orion as a "Synth Rack" to load up several of the plugins that do work in it, layer them and just play for the joy of playing. For that it still works brilliantly......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)