DUNE 2: additional FM algorithms is possible?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE 2: additional FM algorithms is possible?

Postby docam » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Hello,

My question is in subject: for now, they're two algorithms about FM synthesis in DUNE 2.

Q1/ Is it possible to create custom FM algorithms around A/B/C operators? some synths (like free "Dexed") can do this easily.
Q2/ only if yes: are they existing tool(s) and/or tutorials?
Q3/ Is it useful (or useless) to create another FM algorithms in DUNE 2 synth?

Of course, I understand DUNE 2 isn't a pure FM synthesizer (such NI FM8, Tone2 Nemesis or Dexed).

Thanks in advance for explanations.
docam
Novice

Re: DUNE 2: additional FM algorithms is possible?

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:54 am

docam wrote:Q1/ Is it possible to create custom FM algorithms around A/B/C operators? some synths (like free "Dexed") can do this easily.

I don't think Dexed can create "custom" algorithms it just has the 32 included in the original DX7. Unless I'm missing something or you mean by altering the open source code in which case it couldn't be done "easily".

But anyway I believe Mark has devised a way to expand DUNE 2's FM capabilities but I'll let him explain his method since he is many orders of magnitude smarter than I am.......... :)

Expanding DUNE to 6 Operators and including custom algos would certainly expand it's range of sound but I don't know if that's possible or practical from a coding standpoint.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby docam » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 am

Many thanks for your explanations, Teksonik, you're right about Dexed and it's 32 algos from Yamaha DX-7.

Having more FM operators/algos in future DUNE 2 releases will be a great idea - like "Sine" and "inverted Saw" in VA OSCs :D but it's another debate.

DUNE 2 remains my favorite synth, however!

Thanks so much!
docam
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 am

Nothing to thank me for............ :)

Let's wait for Mark to comment on his work with D2's FM engine. I think he will give you a lot of ideas........ :dance:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:29 am

Sorry, only just seen this. I'll post something tomorrow. Bedtime for me :)
Mark

Postby docam » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:44 am

Don't worry, Mark, it was only a simple question (and not a feature request, anyway), also it was the time for bed for us in Europe (very late for me about previous posts, at Paris) I agree, sometimes bedtime is necessary :lol:
docam
Novice

Postby ufo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 am

Hi
You can do simple FM by modulating the osc with LFO at audio rate and use depth control for FM amt.
This works a bit like the FM in Dune.
I like it.

Peace luv and aciiid. :mrgreen:
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby docam » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 am

ufo wrote:Hi
You can do simple FM by modulating the osc with LFO at audio rate and use depth control for FM amt.
This works a bit like the FM in Dune.
I like it.

Peace luv and aciiid. :mrgreen:

Thanks ufo! :music:
docam
Novice

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:41 pm

So one way you can do this is to use the output of an oscillator to audio-rate modulate the FM amount(s) of another oscillator. Now how close this is to what happens IRL, I don't know, but it does allow you to do more complicated FM patches. So, for instance, if you had Osc1+2 set to FM mode and Osc3 as a sine wave (doesn't have to be), by chaining Osc3 to modulate Osc2 FM Amt A and Osc2 set to modulate Osc1 Amt A, you have what would be close to a 7-operator FM chain. Of course you can modulate other FM parameters instead e.g. Amts B and/or C. This way you can go quite far from what you can do with Yamaha FM :) Be sure to use your envelopes, MSEGs, LFOs to modulate the amount of oscillator modulation :)

The other way, which is true to Yamaha style FM is to have 1 oscillator containing my sine phase change wavetable, which I uploaded somewhere. This is the same sine wave in 64 slots of the wavetable, but with linearly increasing phase offsets. Set up oscillator modulation again, but this time modulate wavetable position. Set osc1 and 2 to the same sine phase change wavetable and osc3 to sine and you basically have the same as a single FM module in DUNE2. So what I hear you say? Well, we've moved in to the realm of wavetables. That phase changing wavetable doesn't have to be a sine wave. It can be any wave you want! For instance, I have phase changing wavetables that correspond to each of the different waveshapes of the TX81z and OPL3 FM synths. I have wavetables that apply this phase changing approach to waveforms that have probably never been FM'd ever :)

Finally, we can move away from Yamaha style phase modulation when we replace the sine phase change wavetable with another wavetable with completely different waves in each slot, e.g., the default wavetable: sine->saw->square. Modulating that will basically allow you to do more general waveshaping. Try to set Osc1 to default wavetable in the mid position and osc2 as a sawttooth wave set to modulate osc1 wt position with +50. Set osc reset to on for both. Now try messing with the osc2 init phase to see what different waveshapes you get. Also try changing wt position and modulation amt for osc1. Now think about how you could do a chain of osc3->osc2->osc1. Loads of possibilities 8)

Here are some of the waveshapes possible from the default wavetable when modulated with a sawtooth and changing init phase from 0 through 16 steps of a full cycle.:

Default WT waveshaping.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Note with the last general waveshaping method, some wavetables sound really bad and not in a good way :lol:

The key is to experiment with different wavetables, modulation sources, amounts and phase offset.
Mark

Postby docam » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:52 pm

It's very interessing, so I'll take some times to study this (it's complex)! :D

Many thanks, Mark!

Greetings from Paris.
docam
Novice

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Just a note on the wavetable modulations here. It might help to understand what's going on better if you think that basically we're adding higher dimensionalit(ies) to the wavetable via the waveshaping, although I wouldn't want to be accused of flying too close to the sun with that one :lol:
Mark

Postby docam » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 pm

docam wrote:Many thanks for your explanations, Teksonik, you're right about Dexed and it's 32 algos from Yamaha DX-7.

Having more FM operators/algos in future DUNE 2 releases will be a great idea - like "Sine" and "inverted Saw" in VA OSCs :D but it's another debate.

DUNE 2 remains my favorite synth, however!

Thanks so much!

I've mentionned above the "inverted Saw" in VA OSCs, but Saw waveform is correct (after oscilloscope analysis), but its representation in DUNE 2 GUI is... inverted:
DUNE 2 VA Saw.jpg

of course, it's not a drama (but a bit confusing). Same also for saw in drop lists (when clicking arrow).

Considerations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
docam
Novice

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 pm

I have a wavetable for doing waveform inversions if you want it :lol:
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Here's a very simple waveshaping patch. Made with latest version of DUNE2.

MH The Mod.zip
Mark

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)