Some questions about a patch I reconstructed

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Some questions about a patch I reconstructed

Postby Foxedge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am

Hi ! It's me again with some questions, this time it is getting interesting :)

I tried to reconstruct Fly like an eagle which is found in: Soundbanks -> XMAS Addon -> Ambient A -> 81 Fly like an eagel. (think it was supposed to mean eagle)

A few questions related to this patch, it has 2 unison voices and both has been set up separately:

1. OSC 1 on voice 1 has zero stacks, but was set up with specific settings. That means voice 1 doesnt make any sound. In the modulation matrix a LFO is moving the OSC's voice 1 pan. Why? When there is no sound, nothing can be moved between the left and right side, or?

2. The patch, just loaded out, is set on playing only voice 2's sound. Is this intended or a mistake? Since 1 doesn't have any sound anyway. But then I don't know, why voice 1 is modulated in the modulation matrix and has its own specific settings.

3. In the modulation matrix is a spot without source or destination. It just says -100 and is added on voice 1. What should that do?

4. MSEG 1 has an envelope, but in the modulation matrix is nowhere determined, what it should affect, nor is MSEG as source listened at all. So, does MSEG has any basic effect when not routed to any destination to modulate?

5. I found out that it is possible to change the order of the fxs. Does that have any effect in the way the different fx are processed? (I will look it up in the manual for further details but since I have a question list here anyway I just add it)

Would be great if someone could load this patch out and give me some insight for a better understanding of Dune II and sounddesign in general.

Big thanks in advance! :)
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Re: Some questions about a patch I reconstructed

Postby Kriminal » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:09 am

Usually it means someone has tweaked an existing preset and left artifacts in the MM.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Foxedge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:36 am

Okay, I kind of thought so but yeah.. so it doesn't has any hidden function? That is answering only question 3.
It would be reeeally great if someone can enlighten me about the other questions :) :) I am really curious!
My soundbank "Dark Cyberpunk" for Dune 2 with 40 patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVGqIAQ2rU
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:10 pm

No hidden functions AFAICS, just lazy/untidy/confusing programming. I guess whoever made them was in a rush :lol:
Mark

Postby Foxedge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Okay.. so voice 1 was erased afterwards just by taking the osc stacks off, the whole patch works with voice 2 only?
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:01 pm

At the moment yes. Nothing to stop you from switching voice 1 on and listening to what it sounds like :)
Mark

Postby Foxedge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Mark wrote:At the moment yes. Nothing to stop you from switching voice 1 on and listening to what it sounds like :)

I would have to give OSC 1 in voice 1 a stack then, otherwise there will be no sound, and I don't expect this to sound good since the creator has taken it off. But yeah, I will try that, just to know what it would sound like :p Thanks for your response and clarify things :)
Foxedge
Regular

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:24 pm

It sounds ok :)
Mark

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Some sound designers add stuff like that to "watermark" their patches. I first heard of this with DX7 patches in the 1980's. Not saying that is what he's done with this patch. More likely he just started out to make one patch and ended up with another and simply never cleaned it up. No real reason to since these were essentially free patches......
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)