Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby Kriminal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Richard has already posted that Orion will NOT be developed any more.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:03 am

He also said there might be another host in the pipeline.
funky koval
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 am

bones wrote:Yes, it's about marketing.

You will always live in denial. Ever see any Reaper Marketing ? Neither have I and it's user base is many orders of magnitude larger than Orion's. You can continue to make all the excuses you want but it won't change the facts.

bones wrote:It works just like a studio, which allows everyone to fully leverage 50 or 60 years worth of experience to get the best results. That's not something you can say about any other application out there.

That is such an incredibly ignorant statement. You are blinded by loyalty my friend.

Anyway as Krim says Orion is dead. We can argue about who or what killed it ad infinitum but that won't bring Orion back to life.

Move on or stagnate the choice is yours........
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Suonoecomputer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:44 pm

I saw this software http://it.ntrack.com/work.php Maybe you can ask for some collaboration to develop a new platform for even a new Synapse DAW ... :roll: :)
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Is this even worth discussing? Orion's dead. Get over it. Move on.
Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 am

I would actually like to see a discussion about what would be a suitable replacement for Orion, if there are any, what are differences, workflow, etc. I don't think it's bad to be prepared in advanced for the time when Orion stops working for whatever reason, just so you can minimize the switch-over time that it would take to learn a new host. But, I'm not really hopeful about that discussion, so I'm butting out of this one.

Cheers!
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby voidloss » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 pm

For what it is worth, here is my take.

I used Orion from V1, I was on the Beta team.

I taught a lot of people to produce and perform live in the studio and I turned a lot of people on to Orion.
Over time Orion lacked some fundamental features common to DAW`s (common for the reason that they are extremely useful and make life easier) that it lacked.
There were some great developments over the years, but the same weird left handed features (I`m sure everyone is aware of them ie automation, routing etc) persisted, and loud voices like Bones stuck their head in the sand and their feet in the mud over any sort of change (common with old people :) ).
Support was very impersonal and infrequent, and over time I realised that nothing was going to happen and moved on to make another DAW my main choice in the studio as working with Orion was stifling when wanting to push things further.
Everyone I turned on to Orion eventually moved away from it for pretty much the same reason. Only 1 guy out of the many who I got on to it at the time, that I know, still uses it.

It`s a shame, it was nice having the mixer centric ideal, but slow developement, ignoring the community that supported the software, and loud voices stubborn to any kind of development Doomed the produce.

this is my first time in the forum for years, only to find out Orion, as I sort of expected, eventually had to be put to rest.
A true shame, but obviously inevitable.

I still love the synths though (Hydra and Dune have been in loads of my releases, vinyl, digi and CD, over the years) , Dune 2 is lovely and I`ve lost count of the amount of people I recommend Ecks Pro for kick generation.
I hope at least the synth side of things doesn`t die too.
voidloss
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:23 pm

I dont know why ppl think anything Bones (or anyone) says has any sway. Rich has always has his own route and he has stuck to it with Orion.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:47 pm

imho, orion died because of the lack of advertisement, i never see a single page of ads in any review or web site !
of course a free, cheap or with an insane demo mode product like reaper does not need any ads !
only the word of mouth is enough.
you can't compare the price model of reaper and orion, it's not the same at all.
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:08 pm

voidloss wrote:Over time Orion lacked some fundamental features common to DAW`s (common for the reason that they are extremely useful and make life easier) that it lacked.
There were some great developments over the years, but the same weird left handed features (I`m sure everyone is aware of them ie automation, routing etc) persisted, and loud voices like Bones stuck their head in the sand and their feet in the mud over any sort of change (common with old people :) ).
Support was very impersonal and infrequent, and over time I realised that nothing was going to happen and moved on to make another DAW my main choice in the studio as working with Orion was stifling when wanting to push things further.
Everyone I turned on to Orion eventually moved away from it for pretty much the same reason. Only 1 guy out of the many who I got on to it at the time, that I know, still uses it.

*Boom* That sums it up perfectly.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Christophe wrote:imho, orion died because of the lack of advertisement, i never see a single page of ads in any review or web site !
of course a free, cheap or with an insane demo mode product like reaper does not need any ads !
you can't compare the price model of reaper and orion, it's not the same at all.

You too are living in denial my friend. I'll say it one more time. Orion did not fail because of a lack of advertising. That's simply ridiculous. Would advertising have helped ? Not if your product is inferior to the competition.

I admire the loyalty you guys display but really it's blind loyalty.......... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Mark wrote:Is this even worth discussing? Orion's dead. Get over it. Move on.

No it's not really worth discussing but what else is there to talk about around here ? The fabulous new synth from Synapse ? The exciting new features announced for DUNE 2 ?

Orion is dead, these forums are one foot in the grave and Synapse is coughing up blood. They don't even care enough to comment on their own forums.

So party on dudes. I've enjoyed the camaraderie here even from those with whom I disagree on a consistent basis.

Adios............... :cowboy:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Suonoecomputer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 am

Christophe wrote:imho, orion died because of the lack of advertisement, i never see a single page of ads in any review or web site !

Damn, and I that I am committed to making a manual in Italian language ... At least I did a little 'advertising .. eh eh :lol:
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Teksonik wrote:

You too are living in denial my friend. I'll say it one more time. Orion did not fail because of a lack of advertising. That's simply ridiculous. Would advertising have helped ? Not if your product is inferior to the competition.

I admire the loyalty you guys display but really it's blind loyalty.......... :wink:

I can understand that after some time you get sick/bored over your work or you just wanna come to an end. Rich is doing good in Plugins and there comes the money. Todays DAWs are not comperable with DAWs ten years ago, there are huge research teams. How could you even come close to that even if you are obsessed with DAWs?
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby heks » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:39 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:I would actually like to see a discussion about what would be a suitable replacement for Orion, if there are any, what are differences, workflow, etc. I don't think it's bad to be prepared in advanced for the time when Orion stops working for whatever reason, just so you can minimize the switch-over time that it would take to learn a new host. But, I'm not really hopeful about that discussion, so I'm butting out of this one.

Cheers!

Would that be allowed, is it a forum etiquette thing? I suppose if Richard or a moderator gave their approval it would be Ok, especially now as plugins seem to be central to Synapse development.
heks
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist