From Orion to?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

From Orion to?

Postby heks » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:26 pm

As Richard has officially retired Orion, what do you think would be a suitable replacement?
heks
Apprentice

Re: From Orion to?

Postby Kriminal » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 pm

There isnt one. You will have to learn a new host from scratch. Slow, painful process if you are not already familiar with other hosts, and a
creativity killer...
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Not the case for everyone. Used Orion for 10 years, moved on to something else and am more productive than ever. You just have to get over that initial bump. Didn't take more than a couple of months in my case.
funky koval
Regular

Postby kmatm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 am

I'm sticking with Orion for now. Despite it's flaws with plugins etc, it does almost all I need for now.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:14 am

I have no need to switch from Orion just yet. It does everything I need, runs on Windows 10 so no problems with OS specific changes for some time yet. Any plugins that I have problems with (and there are a few) I just run inside a VST host wrapper thingy.
Mark

Postby heks » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Mark wrote: Any plugins that I have problems with (and there are a few) I just run inside a VST host wrapper thingy.

How are you managing that Mark, are you "hiding" the plugins from the plugin checker in another file and loading them in the wrapper.
I loaded up all the plugins that crashed Orion to see how other hosts handled them, all are working fine in other hosts, but I can't open Orion any more. I should have thought ahead and installed them in another folder :roll:
heks
Apprentice

Postby cooliadh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:14 pm

All my synths are working flawlessly with Orion and I do not miss any features. So, for me: I'll stick to Orion as long it works on my machine. Do not want to have to learn other workflows when it's not really in need.
Orion 8.6 | DUNE | DUNE 2 | EKS Pro | Hydra | Sylenth1 | Predator | Predator 2 | Blue 2 | Windows 10 Pro | ESI Maya 44 XTE | Oxygen 8 V2 | X-Board 49 | Edirol MA-20D | Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WdwS ... SQD86w25Dw
cooliadh
Apprentice

Postby kmatm » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:12 pm

Mark wrote:Any plugins that I have problems with (and there are a few) I just run inside a VST host wrapper thingy.

Does this work or have you tried this with VST3 effects? (I'm thinking specifically with the newer Waves plugins).
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby bones » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:54 am

funky koval wrote:Not the case for everyone. Used Orion for 10 years, moved on to something else and am more productive than ever. You just have to get over that initial bump. Didn't take more than a couple of months in my case.

Moved on to what? That's what the OP wants to know, which host is easy to move to from Orion.

Personally, I cannot envisage a time when I would need to move on from Orion. I've got ten times more instruments and effects than I will ever need or use. I haven't so much as looked at a demo of a VSTi for years - I think Olga was probably the last one and I didn't end up buying it. That was probably 2008.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:09 am

Ableton :
pro : easier collaboration and hardware integration, better pitchshift and timestretch
con : no mixer, no detachable window (fixed UI) , no link between a pattern in session view and in arrangement view
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:36 pm

kmatm wrote:
Mark wrote:Any plugins that I have problems with (and there are a few) I just run inside a VST host wrapper thingy.

Does this work or have you tried this with VST3 effects? (I'm thinking specifically with the newer Waves plugins).

Not the one I use. I think Hermann Seib's VSTHost does VST3 though.
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:39 pm

heks wrote:
Mark wrote: Any plugins that I have problems with (and there are a few) I just run inside a VST host wrapper thingy.

How are you managing that Mark, are you "hiding" the plugins from the plugin checker in another file and loading them in the wrapper.
I loaded up all the plugins that crashed Orion to see how other hosts handled them, all are working fine in other hosts, but I can't open Orion any more. I should have thought ahead and installed them in another folder :roll:

Managing? Me? Hell no :lol:

I only really have one VST that causes very minor problems and that's Dust Analyser, which causes Orion to crash when I close Orion so no real problem tbh.
Mark

Postby heks » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark. I find Orion(64) crashes on scanning AIR plugins and Steven Slate Drums, to name a few.I've updated allot of plugins and been messing around with MuLab 6 and studio one v2 which they work in, but I want to use Orion as well and it just crashes checking the plugins.
heks
Apprentice

Postby funky koval » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:15 pm

bones wrote:
funky koval wrote:Not the case for everyone. Used Orion for 10 years, moved on to something else and am more productive than ever. You just have to get over that initial bump. Didn't take more than a couple of months in my case.

Moved on to what? That's what the OP wants to know, which host is easy to move to from Orion.

Personally, I cannot envisage a time when I would need to move on from Orion. I've got ten times more instruments and effects than I will ever need or use. I haven't so much as looked at a demo of a VSTi for years - I think Olga was probably the last one and I didn't end up buying it. That was probably 2008.

Ableton Live. Once you get over the initial confusion of how it's setup it ends up being quite similar to Orion. You have a bunch of clips(patterns) per device which sit on a mixer channel. After you come up with an initial idea you can drop(or record) them into the arrange view(playlist).
funky koval
Regular

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Nobody mentioned Fruity Loops here, right? I think I'll take a closer look on that. Instead of switching to Cubase which I didn't manage to handle for about three years by now, god damn it!
Orion is not full capable of Midi Hardware, so it's time (for me) for a change...
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Next

Return to Wishlist