From Orion to?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: From Orion to?

Postby bones » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:12 am

I came from Fruityloops to Orion. What I didn't like about Fruity was the convoluted workflow. It has just had a complete redesign so maybe it's not so bad any more but in the year or so I was using it I never managed to get a single song working. OTOH, in the first three months I had Orion I managed to port over more than a dozen songs from my hardware setup.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm

It's still convoluted. It has to ditch it's drum sample player underpinnings.
funky koval
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:35 am

to ...

Ableton, I'd say.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby heks » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I have had a cut down version of Ableton since forever to try out and kept updated it, but somehow its never, "felt right" for me. I suppose we are all different and "one size does not fit all" can easily be applied to DAW's. :roll:
heks
Apprentice

Postby bones » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:17 am

DaZoid wrote:to ...
Ableton, I'd say.

I think Ableton is very specifically a dance music tool and is built around the ability to do things I would never, ever want to do. Specifically, that is arranging on the fly. I rehearse a set dozens of times before we get up on stage. Our arrangements remain constant - we always try and deliver the best possible version of every song, not the one we feel like throwing out (and away) on any particular night. We work on the assumption that people are there to hear us, not that we are there to play for them. For that reason I would never consider Ableton.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:26 am

It does run here, so i dont even have the choice :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:22 pm

bones wrote:I think Ableton is very specifically a dance music tool and is built around the ability to do things I would never, ever want to do. Specifically, that is arranging on the fly. I rehearse a set dozens of times before we get up on stage. Our arrangements remain constant - we always try and deliver the best possible version of every song, not the one we feel like throwing out (and away) on any particular night. We work on the assumption that people are there to hear us, not that we are there to play for them. For that reason I would never consider Ableton.

Arranging on the fly is one of the possibilities of Ableton, but you can use ableton like you want
my collaborator don't use the session mode at all :cry:
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:34 pm

My personal favourite as new DAW is Reaper. I played around with all the configuration stuff and I achieved to "Orionish" things:

- I changed the behaviour of the Piano Roll to Orion style (left click insert note, left drag move note/change length, right click delete note, I even added to buttons to change between draw mode and select mode like in Orion :)).

- I added pretty basic pattern mechanism by abusing the media bay and changing some of the internal actions. So a left click in the arrangement window inserts a "pattern" from the media bay.

You can see what I mean in this animated gif:
http://knechtodawas.de/Orion.gif

So if I change to another DAW one day it may be Reaper ;).
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby funky koval » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 pm

bones wrote:
DaZoid wrote:to ...
Ableton, I'd say.

I think Ableton is very specifically a dance music tool and is built around the ability to do things I would never, ever want to do. Specifically, that is arranging on the fly. I rehearse a set dozens of times before we get up on stage. Our arrangements remain constant - we always try and deliver the best possible version of every song, not the one we feel like throwing out (and away) on any particular night. We work on the assumption that people are there to hear us, not that we are there to play for them. For that reason I would never consider Ableton.

No idea where you got the idea that Orion is targeted at a different group than Live. They're pretty much the same in concept, clip(pattern based) sequencers with the ability to drop and modify the patterns in a playlist. So Live lets you trigger clips from a grid controller. Orion could do the same if pattern triggering was implemented.
funky koval
Regular

Postby dmassive » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 pm

knechtodawas, ¿could you export your keymaps and piano roll custom toolbar config, and upload to this forum? :D
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm

dmassive wrote:knechtodawas, ¿could you export your keymaps and piano roll custom toolbar config, and upload to this forum? :D

No, he can't upload that to this forum :P
Mark

Postby bones » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:10 am

Christophe wrote:Arranging on the fly is one of the possibilities of Ableton, but you can use ableton like you want
my collaborator don't use the session mode at all :cry:

Yes, but it is a core concept behind the architecture of the application. It would be like using Orion without with the Mixer. If I were ever to replace Orion, it would absolutely have to be with something else equally mixer-centric, pattern based or otherwise.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:38 am

bones wrote:If I were ever to replace Orion, it would absolutely have to be with something else equally mixer-centric, pattern based or otherwise.

it doesn't exist :cry:
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby bones » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Which is precisely why I will stick with Orion for the foreseeable future.

funky koval wrote:No idea where you got the idea that Orion is targeted at a different group than Live. They're pretty much the same in concept, clip(pattern based) sequencers with the ability to drop and modify the patterns in a playlist. So Live lets you trigger clips from a grid controller. Orion could do the same if pattern triggering was implemented.

That's not how I see Orion at all. Orion to me is a Mixer-centric sequencer, the only one I have ever encountered. As I said, that it is pattern based doesn't matter at all, it's the fact the Mixer is at the centre of the workflow, which makes it feel like working with hardware in a real studio, that appeals to me. It allows me to leverage the 20 or so years I had been creating music before I moved to software much more than the other applications I tried (Fruityloops, Cubase, pre-Sonar Cakewalk and EnergyXT).
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:52 am

I still don't get what makes Orion's mixer so special. It was the pattern bank per device workflow that made it unique. Every other DAW, except maybe Traction, has a mixer with volume faders, pan, sends and inserts. Graphically they might be represented a little differently but functionally they're almost all exactly the same.
funky koval
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist