Dune 2 LFO lacks sync during polyphonic midi playing

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2 LFO lacks sync during polyphonic midi playing

Postby loris16148 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Ok so this problem is a bit hard to describe. Imagine you have two chords both with the root note of C major. It doesnt really matter what the chords are but if you keep the root midi note constant without a break through to the second chord a problem with the LFO arises. So I have the LFO triggered to modulate the filter cutoff. When I play the chords it works fine. But When I set the LFO initial phase to 0 in the,odulation matrix (Constant --> LFO 1 Init Phase --> 0) Then I have this weird issue where if I play the chord as mentioned above, the LFO loses sync and it sounds as if there are two different synths playing, or two different voices with different LFO rates. Anyway its very bothersome, and I have had this problem in both Ableton and Reaper. Its clearly a bug. I was unalbe to attach the midi file here in the forum. If you have more questions please ask I will be getting back to this forum frequently. Thanks :)

In fact now i removed the LFO phase modulation from the matrix and its still doing the same thing. As long as there is one midi note going without a break from one chord into the next, this problem arises. I have tried multiple things, like setting different phase settings and trying out the sync blah blah blah, to no avail. I am using windows 8.1, latest version of dune 2
loris16148
Novice

Re: Dune 2 LFO lacks sync during polyphonic midi playing

Postby Cinebient » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:14 am

Are you modulating the LFO with another LFO or MSEG? In this case i had/have the same since the beginning.
If you just use LFO1....sure you set it to mono?
Cinebient
Regular

Postby loris16148 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:21 am

The only modulations are the ones I mentioned. the LFO sync button fixes it temporarily. But it runs out of sync soon after. This problem also occurs when you turn on the LFO sync, then you play chords, then you sustain some notes (keep your fingers on them) and change a note while holding down others, the LFO immediately starts playing at a different rate or out of sync at the very least. The LFO sync, in my mind, should prevent this from happening but it does not. Ideally no matter how you play the chord progression and which notes you are pressing when the LFO is synced it should start at the same rate for all the notes. Am I being clear enough? Its a pain in the butt to describe, but if a developer was looking at this thread then maybe they'd be able to recreate the issue and solve
loris16148
Novice

Postby loris16148 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:11 am

Here I made a video of what I mean. Pay attention to the midi chords, .....first with sylenth then with dune2

https://youtu.be/XwzOxgXYgsA
loris16148
Novice

Postby Cinebient » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:53 pm

loris16148 wrote:Here I made a video of what I mean. Pay attention to the midi chords, .....first with sylenth then with dune2

https://youtu.be/XwzOxgXYgsA

Hey, now that i saw your video, i saw that you have indeed set the LFO to polyphonic mode.
Push the button beside the sync. The red dot on "poly" must be off. You have to turn the "const LFO int" off in the matrix too, otherwise it jumps to the init phase when triggering notes with different timingand the LFO runs with different phase (like in poly mode).
Then your LFO is in mono mode and should work like you want (free running/legato).
Sync doesn´t have to do anything with it. It´s just for staying in your BPM range.
When you set the LFO to poly it will trigger an own LFO for each note. So if you hit a note at a different time it will sound like out of sync.
But i also experienced months ago that there is something not working with modulators but the developer never said something to it.
Sadly i experienced that the devloper doesn´t seems to help much and or is a bit far off from his customers but however, Dune 2 sounds great and i love it.
Try it and let me know if it worked!
Cheers!
Cinebient
Regular

Postby loris16148 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 am

Ok I see why you said that I have the poly as "on". However, in the video, I have demonstrated that even with the "poly" in the "off" state, the problem persists. I have it on for a second and then I shut it off during the specific midi conditions I described earlier. Lets review. This bug happens in the very specific condition where the root note of the chord (or any note of the chord) is sustained through a chord change. You will see that while that specific chord is playing I will have the "poly" both in the off and in the on position and it makes no difference. Not only did I demonstrate that, in the video, but also I demonstrated that once the lfo loses sync, no amount of setting changes can revert it back to normal. You will see this happen after 2:00 minutes. It is another bug that I did not expect to see. Check the video again. Also...Thank you so much for responding :D . Im gonna go back to the drawing board and explore this issue and mess with the poly settings like you recommended until we get some kind of response from the developer and see what they think and if they can replicate the issue. Have you tried replicating the conditions?
loris16148
Novice

Postby ufo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi
I think long release times on amp env can cause the clamour you describe.
I can see in your vid the release looks around 40%, which should not be an issue, however Dune being the multi dimensional beast it is.........you can have a different release setting for each voice layer.
Try selecting each voice edit button individually and checking the release time on the amp.

This was the only way I could manage to get the lfo to jumble.

Peace luv and aciiid
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby Cinebient » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:20 pm

I recreated it but i doesn't have this timing issue in mono mode of the LFO.
I just can't modulate a mono LFO with another mono LFO (or MSEG)...then i have timing issues too.
In every other synth i own it works like it should.
I gave up for complex modulations in Dune 2 and use it in a more simpler way now.
Cinebient
Regular

Postby loris16148 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Neither shortening the envelope nor adjusting the "poly" in the latest version of Dune2 fixes the problem. I have tested it on multiple daws. Either my computer sucks, or this is a clear bug. It should be reproducible. I dont know how you dont have this problem after recreating it, it baffles me. Thanks for trying guys. Appreciate it!!
loris16148
Novice

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Under the SETTINGS tab there is two ways of doing sync, "Internal" and "Host".

Choose "Host sync" if you want LFO/MSEGs to line up with the song, regardless of the notes you play. Choose "Internal" if you want to trigger modulation with Note On commands. From your description it sounds to me it is "Host Sync" you want, and Poly=off.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby loris16148 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:36 pm

WIth sync set to host, LFO set to poly off, the same thing happens. Not only that but the combination of settings all result in the same problem, I have tried the combination of all the things recommended by the users and what you recommended and what I have done in the past. It may work for about 2 seconds but then it breaks. At this point I am confident that it is not me that is doing something wrong. i just want to be able to play polyphonic notes and have the LFO in sync for each note played. That means whenever I start a new note while sustaing other notes, I want the new note LFO to start at the same phase as the notes I am already holding. I feel that this is important. It is unreasonalbe to blame it on the host, since I have tried this in multiple hosts. I feel that no other external factors could influence this behavior. I like dune far too much to let this issue go. Has anyone tried to reproduce this problem. Not only did I try to reproduce the problem on this computer but also another computer, same thing! So now I know that this problem is likely across the board.
loris16148
Novice

Postby loris16148 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 pm

I may have discovered the solution to the problem by accident. This is strange. I recreated the patch from scratch, I have enabled the modulation as I have before. The patch was created identically except for one detail. In the modulation matrix of the patch that causes the issue (broken patch) I have selected the destination, in slot 2, as LFO 1 init phase. NOW....there is no source enabled and no modulation "amt" set. This means source and amt both read "---" respectively. This means that no LFO phase modualtion should be going on. However, the new patch does not have this particular detail. With this detail missing, the synth behaves as it should. The issue now is, why is a paramater that is seemingly not being modulated, affecting the behavior of the synth?? I have been a fool this entire time, not having removed this detail from the broken patch. Now this is just an initial test but so far the broken patch has been fixed in multiple tests. But this sets off another question, if a modulation parameter is selected but no source is there to modlate it, does it still make a sound?? haha, I am sorry if I am annoying, but i have been using dune and its legacy for so long now that I pretty much know it inside out, These small things bother me. I hope this gets looked at. I will continue to pursue this broken patch issue and see if I am not mistaken about having fixed it!
loris16148
Novice

Return to Bug Reports