The Legend by Synapse Audio - VST Released

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

The Legend by Synapse Audio - VST Released

Postby Kriminal » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:18 am

http://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html

Some info:

brok landers wrote:hi fellas,

i think it's time for me to chime in here to clear up some stuff.
as maybe some of you know richard from synapse audio and me developed legend.
he did the coding (which was a tremendeous and very tedious effort), i brought the mini (in i must say _exellent_ condition - thanks, till!) and measured it via ear, waterfall diagrams, oscilloscopes and analysers and whatnot and tweaked the "rough cut" to as close as imo one can get. i also made the dry/wet demo comparsion files, which are posted on the propellerheads forum.

the minimoog, although not a very mojo-filled synth as one who only knows it from the myth behind it might think, is very tricky in quite some aspects, that, if you do not put weight on these aspects, lead to a sound that can never reproduce the behave of the minimoog.

the envelopes are complex beasts in terms of behaviour, they have a quite noticable amplitude-spike within the first milliseconds, which flattens as soon as the attack and the decay are raised (other fully analog synths show that behaviour, too). as you can imagine, _this_ makes the sound _very_ snappy. then there's some kind of dc-overflow in the filter env amount, which has the tendency to rise and add up from a lower point of the amount originally being set up with every keystroke, up until it reaches the full amount that has been set up. to get this behavoir right over the full range of the pots, we did sweat blood. :)
then there's, obviously the cascaded ladder filter which the minimoog is so famous for, which interacts with several filter-internal gainstages and dc-offsetfactors, of which the typical, characteristic drive behaviour comes from. the vca stage does the rest of the silky and round sound. also, the minimoog ladder, due to some kind of highpass in the feedback of the filter, is flat response at max resonance, down to around 150-100hz (depending on how carefully the original was maintained and serviced), then the resonance rapidly drops off into nirvana. this also is the reason, why the mini handles basses so well, as the resonance, as soon it reaches the first few harmonics of the osc, doesn't overlay these, as it drops away in level at below this frequency.

also the osc shapes _mandatorily_ have to be done perfect, otherwise the filter doesn't behave like in the original. the square and the two pulses were really hard and crucial, but the hardest was the triangle - because in the late versions of the model d (83/84) were _far_ away from a real triangle shape - strange enough the older versions were way closer to a triangle.

then the pink noise, which, when used for frequency/filter frequency modulation, is filtered down in the control path only to some kind of red noise, was also very crucial. if you want fm that sounds close to a minimoog, the osc behaviour as well as the red noise has to be quite acurately modelled, otherwise it will sound _nothing_ like a minimoog.

there' s plenty of stuff i could go on about, but you might understand what i am trying to say.
i myself owned three minis, one from 76 and two from the last ones in the 80s.

now as i was deeply involved in the development of legend i can tell you that up to now there is _no_ emulation of the minimoog coming so close as legend does - in all aspects. richard did a einstein-like job on this, sitting here in my studio day after day, programming like a maniac. but of course you don't have to believe me (of course you might think i'm biassed) - just listen to the dry comparsion wav files i did once they're on the synapse audio site, ready to be downloaded or get them from the link of the propellerheads forum (i believe someone posted the link to these here in this thread), if they're still there, and judge for yourself. and get the demo, once it is out and fiddle around with it.
i can only say, that legend sounds and behaves nearly identical to the minimoog we had here, and as i stated before, it was in excellent condition and well serviced.

the video demo which kevin made is a very nice one, but i can see some users wanting something completely different, when they have the sound of a minimoog in mind, so for them a rather contemporary edm/bigroom demo might be a red flag. but believe me - legend delivers.

so, to sum it up, if you are after the minimoog-sound/behave for your daw, legend is the closest to get there. while i know all minimoog emulations there are, and some of them are great synths in their own right, they fail when it comes to some of the above stated aspects, which make a great part of the minimoog sound (even monark fails f.e. deeply in the noise fm modulation). and on top of it legend offers quite some tweaking possibilities, that an original minimoog only gives you, if you open it and tweak the screwpots. and it's polyphonic - so _that_ is unique, as there obviously never was a polyphonic minimoog.

now there you have it.

Rich has lots of info too, i'll check if its ok to copy/paste from beta forum.

Enjoy 8)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Re: The Legend by Synapse Audio - VST Released

Postby Solid Technica » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:06 am

Fantastic :dance:
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 pm

A little retro something i did during testing

https://soundcloud.com/kriminal-dave2/september
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby counterfeit » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Ok, just bought it, and it's f***ing great (i have access to a real model D and it's really close)
I'm a big fan of Monark, but this one is a bit more "musical"
Anyway i have a bug on MAC OSX 10.11 in Ableton LIVE 9.6 : there's a problem with the AU version with automatable parameters, they don't appear in "configure "mode in LIVE....the VST version works fine...
Thanks
and congrats Rich and BT!
(i also bought my upgrade to DUNE2 , now it's also f***ing great with the analog enveloppes!!)
counterfeit
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:02 pm

There's a blast from the past :shock:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby balistic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:22 am

Oh wow. G-funk basslines sound great on this thing! I'll be buying it as soon as I'm able.
Brian "balistic" Prince
positive.future.funk
balistic
Regular

Postby bassg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:07 am

Briefly checked the demo yesterday - wow, just wow! :drool:
Fantastic work, can't really comment on modelling accuracy (never heard the real Minimoog live) but the plugin sounds lovely! Congratulations on the release.
bassg
Novice

Postby Suonoecomputer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:19 am

My congratulations for finally resizable graphics, great selection, I did some fast test here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfQ3SyNIKk
Excellent sound, clean and tidy graphics as I like it. I wanted to ask if the demo version the settings are not saved on purpose or not. Thank
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby tobiasvanderavort » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi awesome Synth!! Good for trips of sonic adventuring :)))

I can't seem to get the 'midi learn' to function in LogicX?! Also not if I go the Control Surface route..

And that is a shame because I would like my Minitaur Moog knobs to control the Legend ones...

Dune's midi learn works just fine in the same local setup...

Does anybody have an anwser to the above?

Tobias
tobiasvanderavort
Novice

Postby balistic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:02 pm

There's no MIDI-learn yet, but it sounds like Richard is thinking about adding it in a future update.
Brian "balistic" Prince
positive.future.funk
balistic
Regular

Postby tobiasvanderavort » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Hope Richard does ;)

It is what makes Dune 2 for example the most awesome to create with and ultimately my 'go to' synth in my entire setup because of it.

Richard please develop a midi learn for Legend to become Legendary!

All the best

T
tobiasvanderavort
Novice

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes MIDI Learn is coming :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Cirque » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:37 pm

Scala/Tun file microtuning would be the icing on the cake for some of us, if this can be achieved easily... Still hooked on Dune1 for this.

Anyway sounds really musical and inspiring, love it, congratulations.
Cirque
Novice

Postby Yorrrrrr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:01 pm

To me, the icing on the cake would be: MIDI learn, additional LFO, velocity and aftertouch.
Yorrrrrr
Regular

Postby Suonoecomputer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 am

I apologize but finding problems in using the MOD MIX function. I personally do not understand should be used. From what I understand, it is a mix between the oscillator 3 and the noise, but when I turn the wheel does not perceive any change. Can someone kindly give me an example video, so I understand better how to use this function? Thank you. :oops: :oops:
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)