Polyphonic Aftertouch!

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch!

Postby Teksonik » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Saukar23 wrote:It's really not a silly request. LOTS of people use it... just maybe not everyone here. And since it's on older synthesizers, it's not really a question of IF someone can control it, but WHO can. Dune 2 could definitely benefit from it.

My Ensoniq VFX has Poly AT. I've never spent enough time with it to develop the technique to apply different pressure on different fingers in any reliable musical way. I'm not opposed to Poly AT in DUNE 2 but I doubt it's something I'd use much.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:53 am

Still would love to try this with Dune 2. Playing Dune 2 like Animoog would be a wet dream :D
Of course we can´t have everything!
Edit: With the Roli Seaboard Rise (i will get one) it could be very usable!
Cinebient
Regular

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch! AND RELEASE VELOCITY!

Postby stubbsonic » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 pm

MIDI only provides three per-note controllers. Note-On Velocity, Note-Off Velocity, and Polyphonic Aftertouch. I.e., through your playing you can set a value for the start of each note, change values throughout the sustain of each note, and set final value for the end. It's a pretty good system.

Dune 2 only responds to Note-On velocity. The manual justifies Dune 2's lack of Poly AT response by saying that those keyboards are rare, and that may be so. Some newer controllers are now providing 3 dynamic controls per note, X (horizontal), Y (vertical) and Z (poly AT pressure); the MIDI spec only provides for one polyphonic control stream (Poly AT). I don't know if a new MIDI spec will expand that to Poly AT A, B, C, etc.

Keyboards with release velocity are not rare. My last keyboard (Roland A-70), and my next keyboard (VAX MIDI) both transmit release velocity, which I like to use to control release time, and volume/cutoff of release. And my reason for buying the VAX MIDI is for the poly AT (and other great features).

But regardless of whether a keyboard is capable of transmitting poly AT or release velocity, most DAWs will let you use those control values/streams via editing.

Synapse Audio should add release velocity to the source list immediately. And if Poly AT can be added, it should be.
stubbsonic
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm

RV and AT/CP are of no interest here. Synapse should not add them immediately
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch! AND RELEASE VELOCITY!

Postby drakmaniso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

stubbsonic wrote:I don't know if a new MIDI spec will expand that to Poly AT A, B, C, etc.

Midi MPE (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression) is (very) slowly taking form, but is still a moving target AFAIK. There's already a few controllers (and DAWs) that can take advantage of it (e.g. Roli's Seaboard, Roger Linn's Linnstrument and a few others), but it's always riskier for a developer to be an "early adopter" of proposed standards, as there's always the possibility that they won't gain enough traction to become relevant (and profitable).

I think it's safe to say there's a push toward more expressiveness in electronic instruments, so IMHO supporting poly-aftertouch would be a nice idea (and could be a first step for MPE). I would certainly love seeing that in Dune! But it's possible that would conflict with some optimizations in the engine? In anyway it would be heavier on the CPU, so this should probably be an advanced option, like the audio rate modulation setting...
drakmaniso
Novice

Postby stubbsonic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:35 am

I REALLY would like to see RELEASE VELOCITY supported-- as it couldn't be that big of a hit on CPU since it is just a static value. And the ability to scale release times with release velocity is very intuitive and nice to play with.

Also, if you have a voice that is triggered on KEY-UP, which I think Dune 2 can do, then you could control the volume/filter of that key-up note (the same way you can with the key-down notes).
stubbsonic
Novice

Postby zerocrossing » Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I'd like to revisit this request. Poly AT would be super sweet, but MPE support would be even nicer. If you've not played a Roli yet, I highly recommend it. The first time to touched mine I thought, "Ah! This is the way it should have always been."
zerocrossing
Novice

Postby zerocrossing » Fri May 24, 2019 11:32 pm

8 voices of Legend sure is sweet... maybe even sweeter if it accepted poly pressure! :mrgreen:
zerocrossing
Novice

Postby Richard » Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 am

Legend has MPE support, so you can have poly pressure easily e.g. via the Timbre controller (CC74).
Choose Timbre as a source in the mod matrix on the back panel, then Volume, Filter or Env Amt as a destination. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby bones » Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 am

zerocrossing wrote:I'd like to revisit this request. Poly AT would be super sweet, but MPE support would be even nicer. If you've not played a Roli yet, I highly recommend it. The first time to touched mine I thought, "Ah! This is the way it should have always been."

Absolutely but that has almost nothing to do with MPE support, it's all in the "five degrees of touch". I use mine exclusively in normal MIDI mode and it still gives me all the same intuitive control I get in MPE mode.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby zerocrossing » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:41 pm

Richard wrote:Legend has MPE support, so you can have poly pressure easily e.g. via the Timbre controller (CC74).
Choose Timbre as a source in the mod matrix on the back panel, then Volume, Filter or Env Amt as a destination. :)

Now that Native Instruments has their Kontrols and Korg has its Keystage with polyphonic aftertouch, I think it's even more important than ever. :cowboy:
zerocrossing
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:05 pm

MIDI Polyphonic aftertouch has been added to DUNE 3 a long time ago, and additionally MPE is supported since v3.6 released recently. So in fact both ways to get polyphonic aftertouch are now supported :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Previous

Return to Wishlist