Where are the presets?

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Where are the presets?

Postby terminalman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 am

User presets are not showing in Dune 2 and the factory defaults are not in my Home folder - I'm quite anxious about this i didn't want to be in this situation again and here i am. Where does Dune 2 save the presets to has this changed? why is there no preset management? I cant access over a thousand user presets that iv'e made i cant load any of my tracks please help this is so frustrating.

PC
Last edited by terminalman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terminalman
Novice

Re: Where are the presets?

Postby Kriminal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:29 am

PC or Mac?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 am

terminalman wrote:User presets are not showing in Dune 2 and the factory defaults are not in my Home folder.

"Home folder" sounds like a Mac thing but I could be wrong, can't help you if you are on a Mac. On a PC the presets are automatically installed in User/Documents/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2/Soundbanks, so unless they are moved or there is some kind of permissions issue DUNE 2 should find them with no problem. User Patches go in the same Soundbank folder (again on PC).

I saw this in your first post in these forums:

terminalman wrote:Considering you cant save wave tables in the patches which prevents me from wanting to write patches with custom wave tables (data will inevitable be lost)

Why do you think "data will inevitable be lost" ? I've still got all the WT's I've collected since DUNE 2 was released. The only thing is if you want to share a patch with someone they will also have to have the same WT installed for the patch to sound as you intended.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby terminalman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Teksonik wrote:
terminalman wrote:User presets are not showing in Dune 2 and the factory defaults are not in my Home folder.

"Home folder" sounds like a Mac thing but I could be wrong, can't help you if you are on a Mac. On a PC the presets are automatically installed in User/Documents/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2/Soundbanks, so unless they are moved or there is some kind of permissions issue DUNE 2 should find them with no problem. User Patches go in the same Soundbank folder (again on PC).

I saw this in your first post in these forums:

terminalman wrote:Considering you cant save wave tables in the patches which prevents me from wanting to write patches with custom wave tables (data will inevitable be lost)

Why do you think "data will inevitable be lost" ? I've still got all the WT's I've collected since DUNE 2 was released. The only thing is if you want to share a patch with someone they will also have to have the same WT installed for the patch to sound as you intended.

Hi i am on PC and i have that folder with my Custom presets and they do not show in Dune 2 plugin so how do i determine where the installer puts the dune 2 presets folder when installing as it dose not show the path anywhere
terminalman
Novice

Postby heks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 pm

As Teksonik informed in his previous post on a Pc presets are found in "User/Documents/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2/Soundbanks"
heks
Apprentice

Postby terminalman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Iv'e found where its saving the Presets its saving it to a folder on my Onedrive folder a tad strange as i cant see how it thinks that's in some way my home folder as it is not - is it too much to ask for a promt to save the presets folder is a specific place?
terminalman
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:29 am

DUNE 2 does install the Presets in a specific place....so it can find them. I've never seen anyone else complain in the years since DUNE 2 was released that the Presets were installed any place else. You've made "over a thousand user presets" and you didn't know where they were located ? Every time you save a Preset it shows the path where it will be saved. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 am

What the heck is a "home folder"? Isn't that usually a UNIX thing (OSX, Macs, possibly Linux distros)? What OS do you use anyway? You say you're on PC, but doesn't have to mean you use Windows.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

I don't know why it didn't hit me at first but my Linux Ubuntu system does have a "Home" folder. If he's using Linux then I feel nothing but pity. It's ok for simple stuff like web, e-mail etc but I'd never be crazy enough to try and make music on a Linux system running Wine.

That might explain why he can't find the presets. No telling where it might place DUNE files and Linux is not listed as a supported operating system. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby heks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:41 am

It never occurred to me that they wouldn't be using windows on a PC. Doh! :roll:
heks
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 am

Well, here's the thing. Onedrive is Microsoft's service, and is a part of Windows now with the integration (you can save files to cloud). Also, a "home directory" for Windows is the 'Users' or 'Documents and Settings" folders, but even when not set at default, DUNE will install patches/banks/WTs in the propriate folder structures. For example, I changed my Documents location to be on my D drive (D:/Documents), and I have zero problems with Orion or any of the synths that write patches in Documents folder. But the thing that's confusing is that NO ONE is calling those folders "home".

So, best to let him say what OS he's using. :)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby heks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Well, here's the thing. Onedrive is Microsoft's service, and is a part of Windows now with the integration (you can save files to cloud). Also, a "home directory" for Windows is the 'Users' or 'Documents and Settings" folders, but even when not set at default, DUNE will install patches/banks/WTs in the propriate folder structures. For example, I changed my Documents location to be on my D drive (D:/Documents), and I have zero problems with Orion or any of the synths that write patches in Documents folder. But the thing that's confusing is that NO ONE is calling those folders "home".

So, best to let him say what OS he's using. :)

I should have thought of that myself as my documents and allot of programme folders are on my E drive here as well (D's full of Kontakt stuff) could only run to a small SSD when win 10 last eff,d up and decided to do a clean install and minimise what had to go on C:. It all seems to work fine,,,,wonder if I'm going regret saying that, famous last words and all that... :lol:
heks
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Well, here's the thing. Onedrive is Microsoft's service

I can access my Microsoft Accounts from my Linux system. :wink:

But this is a perfect example of why people should give their system specs including OS when posting for Technical Support. Makes it much easier to provide a solution.
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 pm

heks wrote:I should have thought of that myself as my documents and allot of programme folders are on my E drive here as well (D's full of Kontakt stuff) could only run to a small SSD when win 10 last eff,d up and decided to do a clean install and minimise what had to go on C:. It all seems to work fine,,,,wonder if I'm going regret saying that, famous last words and all that... :lol:

You won't. I never keep Documents on C. There's always stuff that are saved there by default that I'll just lose if I forget about it, and I don't want to have to make copies of it every time I need to re-install Windows for whatever reason. If something happens and I can't boot into Windows, it's easier for me to just plop in the USB drive I'm installing from, format C during setup, finish installing, and at the end of it, all my documents, text files, patches and whatever other stuff are in there are perfectly safe on my other partition that remains unchanged. And it's incredibly easy to do:

Screen Shot 17-02-09 at 08.02 PM.PNG

And like you, I have some software installed on my other drive as well. Works perfectly fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Teksonik wrote:I can access my Microsoft Accounts from my Linux system. :wink:

I didn't know that. I dabbled very little with Linux, made it just past the setup, and I reverted back to Windows in a matter of couple of days :lol:

Does it have OneDrive integration like Windows where you can save your files there directly, or do you have to use a browser to access it?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Next

Return to Bug Reports