Eks Kickdrum Vst Preset Saving Option

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Eks Kickdrum Vst Preset Saving Option

Postby megawattt » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:06 am

Hi Teksonik.

Many thanks for trying out the EKS-9 Pro on your machine , i have just tried your suggestion and it works :D it seems that the only way to get this plugin to work normally in the preset saving department is to upgrade to Windows 10 (Which is a bit of an overkill for one plugin) Thank you again for your help, now to make some heavy, solid kicks! :D
megawattt
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:04 am

I did some more testing and OS is not a factor. I'm on Win10 x64, and while saving as Tek suggested works, exporting does not. However, loading the exported patch in Orion, Ableton Live and Acid Pro works. Acid has an issue with it, though, but only that you need to switch to some other preset after loading, and then go back to the loaded preset for it to work - otherwise it doesn't change parameters at all. But given how old it is, I can't say I'm surprised.

This seems to be a bug, but I'm not sure if it warrants a deeper investigation and a fix or not - that's up to Rich and Marcin, being that it's avoidable.
If you're only going to use patches inside Reason, I'd suggest you use Tek's approach and save it within there - added bonus is it being listed right away. But if you intend to use patches in some other host, I personally wouldn't worry too much about that, being that it seems to work just fine.

So you basically don't need to upgrade to Windows 10. I do advise for it though, after initial hustle with Win10, I'm all set and it's working great.

That's that for me.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby megawattt » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:This seems to be a bug, but I'm not sure if it warrants a deeper investigation and a fix or not - that's up to Rich and Marcin, being that it's avoidable.
If you're only going to use patches inside Reaper, I'd suggest you use Tek's approach and save it within there - added bonus is it being listed right away. But if you intend to use patches in some other host, I personally wouldn't worry too much about that, being that it seems to work just fine.

Thanks HYPNAGOGIA :)

It would be good if the Synapse team could bug fix this as this problem will happen for other customers who may buy this plugin and have a similar DAW setup to mine, i use a few freeware plugins and they work fine for saving presets and recalling so it would look pretty bad for a payware plugin to have a problem with saving and reloading presets.
megawattt
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:14 pm

The question being is this an EKS bug or Reaper Bug ? The .fxp format patch saved by Reaper will load in other Hosts so the file is not corrupt. Is the fact the .fxp files won't reload only in Reaper EKS's fault ?

Maybe upload one of the .fxp files saved by Reaper here and if Synapse ever responds they can take a look at the file and see if there is an issue with the patch that causes it not to load only in Reaper.

Perhaps bringing up the issue with Cockos would be the way to go........ :?

For the record I just ran the same test on this Win 10 system and it occurs here too so it's not OS specific. I was running the test incorrectly before. Also for the record I'm still on Reaper 4.78 instead of version 5. I'm not sure what version you're using but if you're on version 5 then it's not a Reaper version issue either.
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:16 pm

megawattt wrote:It would be good if the Synapse team could bug fix this as this problem will happen for other customers who may buy this plugin and have a similar DAW setup to mine, i use a few freeware plugins and they work fine for saving presets and recalling so it would look pretty bad for a payware plugin to have a problem with saving and reloading presets.

I agree, but I've said I don't know what's at fault here. Maybe the fault here isn't entirely on EKS, as Reapers export/import functions are also in play. Just as you can eliminate Reaper's fault, I can eliminate EKS's as it's demonstrated that it works just fine in other hosts - it's a no-win game. A good course of action would be to have both Synapse and Cockos looking into it. You've put it at attention here (we'll just wait and see what Synapse says). Perhaps you should do the same in Reason's camp.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Teksonik wrote:The question being is this an EKS bug or Reaper Bug ? The .fxp format patch saved by Reaper will load in other Hosts so the file is not corrupt. Is the fact the .fxp files won't reload only in Reaper EKS's fault ?

Exactly this!

Maybe upload one of the .fxp files saved by Reaper here and if Synapse ever responds they can take a look at the file and see if there is an issue with the patch that causes it not to load only in Reaper.

Perhaps bringing up the issue with Cockos would be the way to go........ :?

Oh, I can do that right now. :)
Still have test ones I've made.

Reaper export EKS-9 -- EKS Pro.zip

Note: Lower your speakers - or don't play any notes. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I'll upload one as well so Synapse will have two for testing. This one has all knobs set to zero so it's visually easy to see if the patch has loaded. Again this patch loads just fine in FL Studio.

This is probably just one of those issues where a Plugin and a Host just aren't playing well together and it's hard to tell who is at fault. But I agree with Hypna, post this at the Reaper forums too so it can be worked on from both sides. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Teksonik wrote:I'll upload one as well so Synapse will have two for testing. This one has all knobs set to zero so it's visually easy to see if the patch has loaded. Again this patch loads just fine in FL Studio.

Yeah, mine are opposite - all on MAX :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is probably just one of those issues where a Plugin and a Host just aren't playing well together and it's hard to tell who is at fault. But I agree with Hypna, post this at the Reaper forums too so it can be worked on from both sides. :)

Yup, my thought exactly. It's just a fluke that happens.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Yeah, mine are opposite - all on MAX :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now Synapse has both extremes to test............. :mrgreen:

Ok I've posted in the Reaper Bug Report forum and linked to this thread. I've also posted in Synapse's other forum. That's all we can do at this point.

Like Hypna said this isn't the biggest issue since patches can be loaded in .rpl format with the added bonus they show up in the drop down menu with factory patches. Still just out of curiosity it would be nice to know what's going on. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby megawattt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:32 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
megawattt wrote:Hi there Gents.

I can confirm that my EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro does not save presets (FXP) in Reaper, well it saves them but on reloading the saved preset the settings on the GUI and the sound does not change for that preset, i hope that this problem can be resloved, as the OP has mentioned this is a solid kick drum synth plus i have just bought the pro version so i hope that i have not wasted my money :?

Just downloaded an evaluation copy of Reaper.
Tried both EKS-9 and EKS Pro.
Saving works fine and recalling them works fine.
The parameters change as well as sound.
Tried for both 32-bit and 64-bit (only EKS Pro works with 64-bit)

Hi HYPNAGOGIA and Teksonik.

HYPNAGOGIA,early on in this thread you mentioned that saving and recalling worked fine for EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro, please can you let me know what actions you took to get it to work for you ? so far the details in this thread states that this problem has been encountered in more than one DAW, Reaper and Acid, there could also be a third DAW as Simsen, the orginal poster did not give any information,i am not being awkward but to me this all points to an issue with the EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro plugins and it is for this reason that i would be hesitant to make a report on the Reaper forum but i hope that the Reaper developers will have a look, the only problem i see with that is that they would require a fully functional copy of EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro to test the save/recall function,i hope that i don't sound like a whiner ( I am a happy person really :D ) i think it is the principle that i bought this plugin that sits alongside my freeware plugins, the freeware plugins work fine but i am performing a "Workaround" on the payware plugin.
megawattt
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:56 am

megawattt wrote:so far the details in this thread states that this problem has been encountered in more than one DAW, Reaper and Acid, there could also be a third DAW as Simsen, the orginal poster did not give any information

The OP is simply asking for a built in preset system not reporting a problem with loading patches.

megawattt wrote:i am not being awkward but to me this all points to an issue with the EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro plugins and it is for this reason that i would be hesitant to make a report on the Reaper forum

This only happens in Reaper here so it points to being a problem with Reaper as much as a problem with EKS Pro (there is no EKS 9 Pro).

I've already let Richard know about this and he's looking into the issue. I've also posted in the Reaper Bug Report forum.

Just have some patience, it can sometimes take a while to fix an issue especially when it's not clear where the fault lies. :wink:

In the meantime the "workaround" is actually preferable since the .rpl format shows in the Reaper menu whereas .fxp files need to be loaded from a Windows menu.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:50 am

megawattt wrote:HYPNAGOGIA,early on in this thread you mentioned that saving and recalling worked fine for EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro, please can you let me know what actions you took to get it to work for you ?

By that, I meant just doing Save preset thing. Actual exporting and importing presets doesn't, as it doesn't change any of the controls, nor does it affects the sound played by either version of EKS.

so far the details in this thread states that this problem has been encountered in more than one DAW, Reaper and Acid

Acid exhibits the same problem... initially. On deeper inspection it's revealed that, while it doesn't change parameters or sound played upon importing the preset, changing to some other preset in the list and going back to the imported one fixes it. So, in Acid, it's only an initial problem. But considering that Acid haven't got an update in 7 years, it's understandable why something like that happens there.

i am not being awkward but to me this all points to an issue with the EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro plugins

It doesn't, at least not entirely. EKS doesn't have capacity to manipulate (save/load/export/import) presets being that it doesn't have a preset management system on its own. That's all tasked to the host - in this case Reaper. If it was entirely EKS' fault, the exported preset probably wouldn't work in other hosts. On the other hand, Reaper doesn't seem to have this problem with other synths. So, indication is that it's probably a combination of both Reaper and EKS just not working quite right together.

it is for this reason that i would be hesitant to make a report on the Reaper forum

Imagine you had a lamp that didn't work. You put in another bulb and it works. You put the bulb that didn't work in another lamp and it works there. Now you have no idea whether it's the lamp or the bulb, being that both seem to work, just not with each other. So why wouldn't you contact both manufacturers that made the lamp and the bulb and let them figure out what's happening? At least you'd get the most effort put into it by the most amount of people, and in the end, someone will possibly figure out what's going on.

the only problem i see with that is that they would require a fully functional copy of EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro to test the save/recall function

That's actually not a problem. Richard collaborated with other devs in the past by giving them NFR (not for resale) licensed software when some problem needed to be solved. It's not a problem at all.

i hope that i don't sound like a whiner ( I am a happy person really :D ) i think it is the principle that i bought this plugin that sits alongside my freeware plugins, the freeware plugins work fine but i am performing a "Workaround" on the payware plugin.

I don't see how it's a "workaround" when it's integrated part of Reason. You just save preset, name it, and you can use it normally. Hell, I'd say Reason's way might be the easiest one I've seen so far - just select from the list and it's right there. But out of curiosity, is there a benefit of doing export/import, instead of save/select-from-list?

We understand the frustration. Many of us had paid for software that didn't work out of the box. Have a bit of patience and it'll get sorted ;)
Richard already acknowledged it on the beta forum, so give it a bit time and then follow up after a while if you don't hear any news about this.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby megawattt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am

Hi HYPAGOGIA and Teksonik.

Many thanks for your input and support on this matter, i will be patient and wait for the outcome, i suppose my worry is that i am still learning the ropes in Reaper as my new DAW and i am not sure if i will adapt, if i cannot get on with it i would like to take any sounds that i have made in Reaper to another DAW. The .rpl format is a Reaper thing and is actually an .ini file that holds all the data for the sounds that are programmed as opposed to an .fxp file which can be more portable to other DAW's so if i made some killer kicks in Reaper with EKS-9 and EKS-9 Pro i would like to think that i could take those sounds to another DAW, it's good to know that Rich is now involved which gives me confidence that there will be a resolution, thanks again gentlemen :D
megawattt
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 am

Like I said the .fxp files created in Reaper do load in FL Studio here. I haven't checked with Orion or Sonar yet but I have the feeling they will load in them as well. So maybe just save both formats for now in case you do move away from Reaper.

The good thing is that EKS is a relatively simple synth so re-creating patches wouldn't be as time consuming as say DUNE 2 patches would be. :)

If the problem lies with EKS a fix could come rather quickly since Rich is already looking into it or the issue may be more complex than that, hard to tell at this point. If the problem lies on the Reaper side who knows when or if a fix will come. Even if a fix does come from the Reaper side it won't benefit me since I'm still on version 4.78 and the current version is 5 something. But I almost exclusively use acoustic drums in Reaper here so not a big deal for me......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Exported fxp loads in Orion as well as Ableton and (disregarding that little glitch) in Acid... that I've tried.

I don't think moving patches to another host should be a problem.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist