Waldorf Rocket

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Waldorf Rocket

Postby bones » Sat May 06, 2017 1:23 am

What a great machine! I know it's been around for a while but I just picked one up cheaply on eBay and it is heaps of fun to play with. It's a digital/analogue hybrid with an amazing digital oscillator section, a really phat analogue filter, almost up to the standard of Rich's filters, and the usual modulation options (envelopes and LFO).
It's all in the packaging. The signal path is monophonic, just one filter, LFO and envelope, but the oscillator is capable of producing up to eight different waveforms at once to throw though it. The oscillator is all controlled by a switch and two knobs. Depending on whether you choose saw or pulse waves, the knobs do different things. They even do different things depending on where you set them. With the saw wave selected, the 'wave" knob will add a second oscillator in hard sync through the first part of it's travel, then it will start stacking extra copies of the waveform as you continue turning it (no hard sync), then it starts detuning them into different chords and, finally, it gives you a big, fat unison when it's turned all the way up. The other knob, marked "Tune", sets the depth of the hard sync, or the detune of the extra oscillators, or it changes the chord that's being played. With the Pulse wave selected, you get PWM and other stuff when you turn the knobs.. It's really, really clever and really, really easy to use. You can make a completely different sound with just a couple of twists. It's awesome.

The trick oscillator isn't why I bought it, though. The Minilogue and Monologue only have low-pass filters but this does low, band and high pass which means it can do things the others can't. And it sounds great, better than the Korg filters. In fact, the sound quality of the thing is stellar all the way through.

Of course, it's not all wonderful. The envelope is weird and very basic. The only knob is marked "Decay" and there are switches for "Sustain" and "Release". It means the knob will actually work as either Decay or Release and Attack is fixed. The LFO is also pretty basic but it has an ARP mode, which has a clutch of predefined patterns as well as the usual up/down stuff. It's not in the same league as the Monologue's Motion Sequencer but it's handy enough. There is no master volume (but there is a headphone volume knob) and there is no octave transpose on the oscillator so you have to play really low MIDI notes to get low notes.

Worst of all, it doesn't have any patch memory but you can send all parameter positions through MIDI (USB or MIDID cable) to your sequencer, so it is possible to store and recall settings. Strangely, though, two of the switch positions cannot be automated or stored so you have to remember to set those manually.

Elsewhere a lot of things just happen automatically, like if it is receiving MIDI clock it automatically syncs to tempo. To set the MIDI channel you hold in a button at the back and it detects incoming data and sets itself to that channel. You can trigger a note from a button on the front and it remembers the last note that was input and triggers that (or middle C). There is also a third party VSTi and standalone editor that unlocks a couple of hidden features like a second LFO that only does vibrato at a fixed rate.

Overall, it sounds absolutely amazing and a lot of effort has clearly gone into giving users the greatest amount of flexibility from the fewest number of controls, to the point that I don't even know if I'll bother saving patches. It's just so easy to remember where things should be to create specific types of sounds and so quick to get from one to the next. It's so good that it's got me thinking about maybe getting a Blofeld and doing our live sound mostly with hardware. We'd keep Orion as our sequencer, for drums and for the irreplaceable Wasp - I say "irreplaceable" but I think maybe Rocket could do as good a job. A lightweight software set-up like that would easily run on my 8" tablet so we could have a really tiny live rig. And the thing I've discovered with Blofeld is that, even though it has been around since 2008, there isn't so much as a single used one on eBay. That's extraordinary and says a lot about how good Blofeld must be. I am sorely tempted at this point. If we weren't off to play in Europe in a few weeks I would probably already have bought one but the trip is costing us a fortune so it will have to wait.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Re: Waldorf Rocket

Postby bones » Sat May 06, 2017 1:54 am

If this was a magazine review, this part would be in a break-out box, so try to imagine that. The genius of the set-up is shown to best effect when you think about what it takes to set up Hard Sync on a normal synth. First you have to route an envelope to affect the pitch of one oscillator, then set the Hard Sync amount and turn the modulated oscillator's sound off. It can be tricky to remember which oscillator you need to do what so it can take a few minutes to set up and requires you to play with four or five controls. With the Rocket, you just set the position of the two oscillator knobs and you're done. It's brilliant and it's all clearly marked out for you on the front panel.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 am

Sorry, but purely based on the envelope (or lack of it) its no use at all. Its a massive limitation.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am

It's not that hard, there are simple ways around it. e.g. If you want LP Filter mod with long attack, you use the HP filter with long decay instead. It's certainly a lot more versatile than the Monologue's two knob, one switch envelope. And the oscillator has it's own envelope for Hard Sync (you set the decay time with the Wave knob), so you're not stuck with the same envelope for everything.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat May 06, 2017 6:40 pm

What does the "Launch" Button do ? :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat May 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Plays current sound... prob A4 or C4 (if you dont have keys connected)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah, it triggers a sound, either at the last input note or Middle C.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun May 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Ahh ok thanks to both........ :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 am

Last night I went through our live set and replaced all the Wasp basslines, which to me are the things that define our sound, with Rocket and it did a brilliant job, even without EQ or effects. With a bit of EQ, reverb and delay to fatten it up, it could definitely replace Wasp in any of our songs. That's not something I would ever have expected and certainly not from someting I paid less that US$200 for.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 am

Oh-oh! My Rocket just spawned a Pulse 2. There was one on eBay in France. I had to stay up until 2am to guide it home but I managed to get it for less than half what a new one would cost. I won't get it for a few weeks but I'm kind of pumped about it as the Rocket continues to amaze and delight (yes, delight) me on a daily basis so to get something that's basically a Rocket on steroids is an exciting prospect.

I'm also buying an Arturia KeyStep so I'll have a dedicated controller for them, rather than having to take out one of my other synths to play them. Arturia are doing a limited edition black one so I'm getting that. I also bought a Korg Pandora Mini so that the Rocket can have it's own effects. Have you guys seen that thing? It's tiny but full of grunt. It should arrive today so I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works. I may have to get an attenuating cable, as it's made for guitars, but it might work without and it's small enough that i could velcro it to the side or front of the Rocket's cabinet and use a patch cord to hard-wire it. If that works OK, I'll get another one for the Pulse 2 (they are only around US$60) and look at attaching them to the KeyStep so I can treat it like a single thing. It could be awesome and selling the Minilogue when I get home from Germany will basically pay for it.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 am

Bones is delighted with something ? :mrgreen:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ufo » Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Early Christmas mr bones.

I too was liking that pulse2, it has all the wave tables from the original pulse, q and microwave synths.
And yeah, I love the Waldorf filters too. Nice.

Peace
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby bones » Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am

I like the way Waldorf think outside the box and give a monosynth up to 8 voices. SuperSaw is one thing but this is just so much more flexible. The damned thing arrived at my nephew's place in Berlin today but I won't be able to get my hands on it until we arrive in about 12 days. I reckon I'll probably end up finding a use for it in our set at the festival. Just something symbolic but something, none the less.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 am

After five months of rehearsing with the Minilogue, I decided on the weekend that I will now be using the Rocket at Wave Gotik Treffen instead. I'll only get to do one full rehearsal with it but after picking up my Arturia Keystep, in limited edition black (of course), it only took a couple of hours to realise that the Rocket was going to do a much better job, despite it's apparent lack of features. I still haven't worked out a good way of saving and recalling patches so I am going to change the sound manually. It's a stupid decision but the Rocket sounds far too good to leave at home and I don't have room to take everything.

The clincher is the KeyStep's aftertouch, which is easily the best I've ever used. Most others are too easily triggered and/or unsubtle (either on or off) but the KeyStep's requires quite a bit of pressure and I find it easy to modulate so you can get a gradual increase. The Rocket is hardwired so that both velocity and aftertouch affect cutoff but that's the perfect thing anyway. It makes up for the simple envelope in the Rocket and allows me to breathe a bit of life into held notes. The Mod "Wheel" (it's really a touch strip) is also hardwired to vibrato, which uses a separate, hidden LFO at a fixed rate, so that helps, too. And a dedicated controller works much better with Orion than a full synth, so it's a win-win.

I'm now wishing I hadn't pulled the Minilogue from eBay, it would have paid for the KeyStep and the Pulse 2.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Touch The Universe » Fri May 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi. Can we hear a few of those basslines :D
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Next

Return to Music & Stuff