Doing The Unthinkable - Trying FL Studio

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Doing The Unthinkable - Trying FL Studio

Postby bones » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 am

Yeah, I hadn't realised what a huge rut I had been in. I did a bit of beta testing on DUNE 2 but I never bothered even going through the presets when it was released. I was even worse with The Legend, I installed the demo but never bothered registering it and I didn't even load it up to listen to it before the demo expired.

Over the weekend I got them both up and running and spent some proper time with them and DUNE 2, in particular, left me speechless. It is utterly amazing what it can do and how incredible it sounds while it's doing it. And The Legend is possibly the ballsiest sounding thing I've ever heard. I can't believe I have totally ignored them for such a long time. I am a complete idiot.

It's quite scary how easy it is to get lost in your own little world and miss out on so much that is going on around you. The last few weeks have been a real wake-up call for me. Sadly, it seems that Orion is likely to be a casualty of that re-awakening but if that's how it ends up, at least Rich's awesome sound will still be a big part of what we do going forward.

And it definitely will be. The song I chose to experiment with in Bitwig was sounding like garbage until I swapped the main bassline synth to The Legend. After that, it took no time at all to get it sounding nearly as good as it does in Orion. I still need to get rid of two more instances of Bitwig's rubbish Polysynth and add some better effects but now, at least, I know that I can make it sound just as good without too much more work.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

welcome back to the synapse sound Bones :D
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby funky koval » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Damn, Bones considering switching from Orion. Hell hath frozen over.
funky koval
Regular

Postby bones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 am

No longer "considering", the decision has been made and the money has been spent. Bitwig's support is a little sucky but I'm up and running now and I don't intend to look back.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:48 am

How are you finding the move from pattern based to linear?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am

what differences do you see with ableton ?
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Touch The Universe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Technically, it should still be both, linear and pattern.
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby funky koval » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Bitwigs clip matrix is essentially pattern mode. Same with Live.
funky koval
Regular

Postby bones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 am

Kriminal wrote:How are you finding the move from pattern based to linear?

Working with patterns was never a critical issue for me, it was just something I did because that's how Orion works. That said, I do like the pattern/song mode workflow and you get the same thing in Bitwig via it's Clip Launcher. In the main sequencer you can drag the bottom corner of a clip and it clones the notes, leaving a visual marker where it's looped back to the beginning. If you edit any section, all the cloned sections update, too, so it's bit like having patterns anyway. So, as Touch the Universe says, it's a combination of both things, which I actually find very handy. e.g. We regularly get to 15 or more drum patterns but most of them are just variations on the main drum part, with a quick fill or instruments removed. It gets quite fiddly doing that in Orion, whereas it's much easier in Bitwig to just copy/paste the clip and do the variation where it's needed, instead of copying the pattern, making the changes and then loading the pattern in the Playlist. It feels a lot more like the way the sequencers in my Korg workstations worked, where you could "Place" a pattern in an arrangement or copy it's contents to create a variation.
Christophe wrote:what differences do you see with ableton ?

The difference for me is that Bitwig was easier to understand. I've installed Ableton a couple of times but never got comfortable with it but it only took a single evening for me to get my head into Bitwig. Bitwig was also about half the price of Ableton, which was definitely a consideration.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby funky koval » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 pm

That's strange that Live didn't click with you since Bitwig is really a Live clone. It was developed by a few guys that left Ableton. Maybe the separate session/arrange views are tripping a lot of people up. Bitwig has everything on the same screen.
funky koval
Regular

Postby cooliadh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 pm

I'll stick to Orion as long as my workhorse synths are running within. No need to change to another DAW. Orion 8.6. has and runs everything I need. 8)
Orion 8.6 | DUNE | DUNE 2 | EKS Pro | Hydra | Sylenth1 | Predator | Predator 2 | Blue 2 | Windows 10 Pro | ESI Maya 44 XTE | Oxygen 8 V2 | X-Board 49 | Edirol MA-20D | Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WdwS ... SQD86w25Dw
cooliadh
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Music & Stuff