Dune2 question before I buy

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune2 question before I buy

Postby Domscillator » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello,

So I have been demoing Dune2 and I am really impressed by it.
I was almost ready to click on the purchase button until I realized that there was bad crackling when I am playing some patches in Cubase 8 64bit.
My computer is really powerful and even when I play complex patches in Dune2, the CPU is barely at 10%.
I have other powerful synths and samplers and I never have clicks and pops.

Could you please let me know if this is a known bug that I should wait to be fixed before I invest?

I am on WIndows 7 64bit with an RME UFX.

Thank you in advance and hopefully I will be a proud Dune2 user soon :)
Domscillator
Novice

Re: Dune2 question before I buy

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:24 pm

This issue with Cubase has been reported before. Let me do a search and I'll see if there was any solution posted........

Here's a thread that may be of some help.......

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10938&hilit=Cubase+8

I don't own Cubase so can't be of much help but I do own DUNE 2 and love it.............. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Which audio buffer size do you use? And which patches precisely give you problems?

We currently have all Cubase versions from 6 to 8 installed (under Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit, respectively) and no problems here- we use various soundcards and drivers, among them a RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632. In general RME drivers work well for us, but we don't have a UFX here for testing.

Note DUNE 2 takes full advantage of modern CPUs by applying multi-threading, so it can process voices on multiple cores simultaneously. This works best on well optimized systems. Multi-threading can be disturbed by energy saving settings (e.g. min CPU set to less than 100%) and some AV packages, among other things. There's a chapter in the DUNE 2 manual which lists common optimization tricks for Windows.

One thing you could try is turning off multi-threading on the front panel. If you do that, DUNE 2 will act like any other plugin without multi-threading. If you still get clicks at only 10% CPU usage, then this indicates something is not right with your system/driver. The CPU usage is measured by the host, and a load like 10% should never give you clicks, regardless of what plugin you use.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Domscillator » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi Richard and thank you for the reply.

Yes, indeed, when I turn off Hyper-Threading then the clicks go away, however, the CPU consumption is raised considerably.

I've checked everything on my system and there are no spikes outside of Dune, also my DCP latency is ultra low with no peaks.

Is there any way I can still keep the Hyperthreading capabilities of Dune 2 ?

(My system is fully optimized for audio- Scan 3XS Audio built machine).
Domscillator
Novice

Postby Domscillator » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Bump :)
Domscillator
Novice

Postby Domscillator » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I will bump this again as the problem still persists and I have since then bought Dune 2.
Domscillator
Novice

Postby birdlives1955 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 am

It's just a Cubase problem. I've seen a lot of people posting about this exact thing in Cubase. When you turn off multi-threading the crackles in the audio should go away if your CPU is fast enough to handle your Dune patches on a single core. Check out some other DAWs and see if the problem occurs with multi-threading turned on. I am able to run most patches in Dune 2 on a 2010 i7 dual-core computer with 8gb of Ram. If the patches are complicated I may have to turn down Unison voices or reduce polyphony to get the patches to work. But my CPU can handle it. I don't use Cubase. Good luck hope it works out.
birdlives1955
Novice

Postby Domscillator » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 am

birdlives1955 wrote:It's just a Cubase problem. I've seen a lot of people posting about this exact thing in Cubase. When you turn off multi-threading the crackles in the audio should go away if your CPU is fast enough to handle your Dune patches on a single core. Check out some other DAWs and see if the problem occurs with multi-threading turned on. I am able to run most patches in Dune 2 on a 2010 i7 dual-core computer with 8gb of Ram. If the patches are complicated I may have to turn down Unison voices or reduce polyphony to get the patches to work. But my CPU can handle it. I don't use Cubase. Good luck hope it works out.

Thanks for the reply.

I've bought Dune ever since and I love it.

It might be a Cubase specific problem but it's also a specific problem with Dune.
I own pretty much every popular softsynth on the market but this problem I have only with Dune.

I think it need attention although I've learned to live with its limitations.
Domscillator
Novice

Postby zafir » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 am

It seems that Cubase users should go to Steinberg to lament this trouble because here they only speak Multi Threading.
I also to disable the Multi Threading by bios, applied all the optimizations suggested by Steinberg but the problem remains.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12100
zafir
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)