Dune 2 and Reason 9.5 Issues

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2 and Reason 9.5 Issues

Postby DonnieAlan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Now that Reason added VST support with Reason 9.5, I've been wanting to set up some Combinator patches in Reason using Dune 2. However, for some Reason, I can NOT get Dune 2 to work with Reason. If I put an instance of Dune 2 in the Rack, the minute I click on Dune 2 to view it, Reason shuts down...every single time. Doesn't matter if I'm doing it as a single VI or in a Combinator. It just won't open. I've seen Reason 9.5 videos with Dune 2 in the rack, so I know its supposed to work. I don't know where or what to look for to fix this.

I'm on Win-10, 64bit system. 24gig ram Intel i7 2.75ghz.

I have not problems using Dune 2 in Pro Tools, so Dune 2 itself is not the issue. And I have no issues using Reason with anything else...ONLY Dune 2.

I know that VSTs can't be loaded into Reason in slave mode, so I'm only trying to use it standalone. Of all my many VIs, Dune 2 is the ONLY one that will not work.

Anyone? Thanks
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Dune 2 and Reason 9.5 Issues

Postby heks » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 am

Just had a look for you, I only have the basic version of reason and found it did not see Dune2 , so downloaded the latest version, installed and all works fine here now. Don't know why though? Hope it works for you :wink:
heks
Apprentice

Postby DonnieAlan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah, seems that Dune 2 VST works fine for everyone else in Reason 9.5 BUT me.
I hate when problems like this happen, because there's no apparent rhyme or reason for it, so no idea what to look for to solve it.

Frustrating!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Might be an off shot, but have you tried reinstalling DUNE2?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Might be an off shot, but have you tried reinstalling DUNE2?
Yes, that was one of the first things I did. I re-downloaded Dune2 ver 2.501, uninstalled it, then re-installed it...TWICE. No joy.

I did discover that it is ONLY the VST version that is the problem. It also caused Reaper to crash, as well as Pro Tools when I tried to host it as a VST inside Blue Cat Patchwork, which hosts VSTs of all sorts in Pro Tools.

The AAX version of Dune 2, which I use in Pro Tools all the time, works perfectly fine.

Whatever is causing the issue, it is definitely Dune 2 and the VST version. I have no idea why. Many others have told me they are using Dune 2 in Reason 9.5 with no issues whatsoever, so now I'm wondering if it has something to do with VST and AAX both being installed on the same system? That seems far fetched to me, since they reside in completely different places on the OS drive.

I wish I could figure this out as I really wanted to sit Dune 2 inside the Reason Combinator and begin building some some massive new patches that way.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:55 pm

That is weird. Being that I don't have Reaper and can't really test things with it, I'll have to back out, and hope your problem gets resolved by devs.

You might want to shoot Marcin and Richard a message about this, just as a precaution, so they it doesn't happen that they miss it.
Good luck.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am

It may sounds like resources are missing or are broken.

Can you find the directory "DUNE 2" in your user's directory?:
"My Documents/Synapse Audio/DUNE 2"

Inside DUNE 2 there should be existing these 4 sub-directories:
ArpMidi
Skins
Soundbanks
Wavetables

Please make also sure that the "Default.wt" exists in the "Wavetables" directory.

Other than the above, please make sure you provide the proper serial number during the installation
(wrong serial may cause unexpected crashes!).
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Marcin wrote:It may sounds like resources are missing or are broken.

ArpMidi
Skins
Soundbanks
Wavetables

Please make also sure that the "Default.wt" exists in the "Wavetables" directory.

Other than the above, please make sure you provide the proper serial number during the installation

Marcin - Thank you for the reply. I will double check on this right away. The serial number I took directly off my support page here at SA. So, I know that's correct. Also, as I said, the AAX version, which I use in Pro Tools, works just fine, no problems whatsoever!

It seems whatever the issue is, it exists only with the VST version. So, if I try to host it as a VST in Pro Tools, using Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork as the VST host, it crashes PT. If I try to host it as VST in Reaper (either stand alone or in alve mode in Pro Tools via Rewire) Reaper crashes. Same for Reason. (You can only host VSTs in Reason in standalone mode, not slave mode.)

Does the VST version and the AAX version share the files you mention above? Could that be causing the issue?

Several Reason users have told me that they also have Dune 2 and use it with no problems. In fact, you can see Dune 2 in Reason on their promo videos for Reason 9.5, so I suspect that the Propellerheads were using it when they tested out 9.5.

I completely uninstalled Dune 2 (even though I did have the latest version 2.501), redownloaded it off my account at the SA website, reinstalled it. And still no joy. The AAX version in Pro Tools works fine. The VST version still crashes the host...any VST host.

I'll check for those files and report back right away. Thank you.

Donnie Alan
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Marcin wrote:It may sounds like resources are missing or are broken.

ArpMidi
Skins
Soundbanks
Wavetables

Okay, I verified that all 4 of those folders are where they should be, and yes, the default WT file is in the Wavetables folder. All my Dune 2 soundbanks are there, including the extra ones I've purchased over the past few months.

I also have some soundbanks for Dune 1 and the folders for those are also in this soundbanks folder. could that be the issue? Should I move those to a separate directory? (I also have Dune 1 and use it once in a while).
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Marcin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Ah, you have put Dune 1 soundbanks in the DUNE 2 subdirectory? This may cause crashes in VST indeed. To be sure that DUNE 2 doesn't want to read something unsupported - rename the "DUNE 2" directory to "DUNE 2 tmp" and reinstall the plugin. Then please check if it still crashes.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Marcin wrote:Ah, you have put Dune 1 soundbanks in the DUNE 2 subdirectory? This may cause crashes in VST indeed. To be sure that DUNE 2 doesn't want to read something unsupported - rename the "DUNE 2" directory to "DUNE 2 tmp" and reinstall the plugin. Then please check if it still crashes.

Okay. Working on that right now. Thank you.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Okay - I found the culprit. I moved all the Dune 1 Soundbanks to a separate folder. Then I did as you suggested, created the tmp folder, and uninstalled and reinstalled. Then I opened Reason, and, YEAH, it worked! So, then, I began to copy over the other soundbanks 1 at a time to the new Dune 2 soundbanks directory and I found the culprit. I had a Dune2 soundbank that was a freebie I got somewhere, and it was THAT one that was causing the issue. All the others work just fine. So, I've eliminated it from the folder (patches were all that great anyways!). And now it all works like it should!

Thank you for your assistance. I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't directed me to the soundbanks folder where I saw the older Dune 1 sitting.

Appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this.

Donnie Alan!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm

DonnieAlan wrote: I had a Dune2 soundbank that was a freebie I got somewhere, and it was THAT one that was causing the issue.

Can you let us know which freebie soundbank was causing the issue so we can stay away from it please ? :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Teksonik wrote:
DonnieAlan wrote: I had a Dune2 soundbank that was a freebie I got somewhere, and it was THAT one that was causing the issue.

Can you let us know which freebie soundbank was causing the issue so we can stay away from it please ? :)

It was the original freebie samples of this set from Aiyn Zahev. Prbably something got corrupted in the download that didn't work in the VST version. I suspect the full set he's selling will work just fine, as he's a very good sound designer.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks, I just downloaded the free set from the link above. In the folder there is a .pdf file, two internet shortcuts and a .png file. I removed those and the patches load fine here.

Perhaps those extra files were causing the crashes. :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Next

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)