The Legend - Parameter Presentation in Logic Pro X

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

The Legend - Parameter Presentation in Logic Pro X

Postby sjgam » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello just got The Legend and I am thrilled with the sound and how engaging/interactive the controls are on the sound. My go-to Moog VI now.

Hey also glad as a Logic Pro X user that you presented most of the parameters to plist on Logic as I use them to map to my midi controlller - Nektar Panorama P6 - as it sees what Logic sees including the names and value. For a bunch of reasons this is better than traditional midi learn approach for me.

So you have 70 of your parameters presented to Logic plist and I have identified seven (7) you are missing - could you please fix this so I can control them too on my controller.

1. Polyphony
2. PB Range Up
3. PB Range Down
4. Note Priority
5. Mono Mode
6. Model Revision

Also - the parameters values for the Legend do not display on my Nektar Panorama P6 in Logic Pro x 10.3.2. The names do display.

AU Presets - any chance we could have the presets in Logic Library format so dont have to manually save each one in logic? Or if someone has done this manually or with scripting could they share the au preset folder?
sjgam
Novice

Re: The Legend - Parameter Presentation in Logic Pro X

Postby Kriminal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:41 pm

You dont need two threads.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby sjgam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Another issue I noticed is when I map the switches/buttons (not knobs) (e.g. OSC Filter On/Off switch etc) to my buttons (not knobs/sliders) on my Nektar Panorama P6 in Logic Pro X 10.3.2 was that buttons on my controller would not change the state of the gui knob

If I map the switches/buttons to my knobs/faders then the controller would change their state.

Any way to get them to work with on/off buttons on my controller/
sjgam
Novice

Postby sjgam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Just bumping this thread. I am new to The Legend and new to Synapse. It appears that the only means to get support is through this forum. I tried opening my thread up in this plugin support channel as well to get a response.

Any suggestion on how to get a response from Synapse as its been a couple weeks since I raised these issues?
sjgam
Novice

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 am

Generally speaking we allow automation for all sound parameters (which is the vast majority of parameters), but exclude some parameters that should not be automated, like Polyphony. The reason is that changing e.g. the Polyphony on the fly will inevitably lead to problems, like notes being cut etc.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby sjgam » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Richard wrote:Generally speaking we allow automation for all sound parameters (which is the vast majority of parameters), but exclude some parameters that should not be automated, like Polyphony. The reason is that changing e.g. the Polyphony on the fly will inevitably lead to problems, like notes being cut etc.

Thanks Richard for that explanation - makes sense.

Any thoughts on why parameters values are not displaying/updating while the names are.

And also why the buttons/switches - like Effects Active - cannot map to buttons on controller but they can be mapped to knobs and faders.

I am in Logic Pro X 10.3.2 and using Nektar Panorma P6 which has logic integration software (no wrapper) so only sees what Logic sees so one maps the parameters through Logic plists.
sjgam
Novice

Postby sjgam » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 am

See attached screenshot - Confirming that in Logic when you select to view "control" instead of the gui, The Legend is not presenting its values to Logic just the names. Also confirming that all the parameters including button switches are treated like knobs and not switches so thats probably why the buttons on my controller will not map to the buttons on The Legend. The knobs map/move fine but again dont display the value.

I took a screenshot of the controls view of The Legend to show blank fields where there are suppose to be values and the switches all treated like knobs/fader movement. Can this be fixed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sjgam
Novice

Postby sjgam » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 am

Just bumping my own thread to see if Synapse is aware that The Legend is not presenting parameter values to Logic Pro X and whether there is s fix? See screenshot in previous post.
sjgam
Novice

Postby Marcin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 am

We found the issue about missed parameter values and will fix it with the next The Legend update.
Thanks for your reports!
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby sjgam » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Marcin - thanks for update. Can you also look at making the switches (e.g. Effects In/Out etc) available to work as switches on your controller when presenting to Logic. In addition to not presenting the values it looks like all parameters are treated as knobs/faders and not on/off switches. See my screenshot in post above.

Easier to press a button on controller for your switches on your GUI and one has limited buttons, sliders, knobs so nice to use the buttons for switches so more of the knobs and faders can assigned for continuous parameters.

Love The Legend - my default Moog VI in my Logic Template now. Hope like Dune expanded patch libraries will be available soon!
sjgam
Novice

Postby Marcin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:10 pm

In general it's possible to set the parameters as off/on values, however we're not sure if it's not too late now for such change (it may destroy automations in the saved projects due to automation ranges change).
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby sjgam » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 am

Ugh - such a recent release - nice to get it on right foot for Logic users and set up on/off for buttons.

Maybe keep a legacy version for the few that might already have some project saved. But that must be a small subset of customers - Logic users who have set up automation lanes for on/off parameters and recorded project using rotary/fader to turn on and off during automation recording.

I have a bias here but I cant see that being very many if any people given its a fresh release.

And its a almost a bug fix to set up parameters so values display and on/off switches can be controlled with switches for Logic Pro X users. I dont have a VI that does not offer that for Logic.

Again the reasoning is that you only have so many knobs, faders and buttons on your controllers so nice to have as much access to gui parameters on your physical surface without page/menu diving by making use of all of your buttons and knobs and faders. And its more natural to turn things on and off with a button than a fader or knob.

Also I think you can still change status to on/off with knobs even if its presented as on/off to Logic.
sjgam
Novice

Postby norisounds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am

Not a Logic user but the parameter values in Ableton and Push 2 show up as 'unknown'
Would be awesome if the values could be fixed or maybe change the 'unknown' to 'unit'

Other VST's such as Hive show the values as 'units' seem to display fine on my Push, only The Legend seems to display 'unknown'

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.31.07.png

Here is what Hive looks like and it displays fine on Push 2.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.37.05.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norisounds
Novice

Postby norisounds » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Richard wrote:Generally speaking we allow automation for all sound parameters (which is the vast majority of parameters), but exclude some parameters that should not be automated, like Polyphony. The reason is that changing e.g. the Polyphony on the fly will inevitably lead to problems, like notes being cut etc.

Hi Robert,

I understand your reasoning on this but having these parameters exposed to the host can be really beneficial for use with controllers like Push and Maschine.
I use Push and PrEditor to map VST controls to Push. So it would be great to be able to change the polyphony with Push when I program sounds.
It really breaks the flow when I have to switch to mousing.
norisounds
Novice

Postby sjgam » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 pm

norisounds wrote:

Hi Robert,

I understand your reasoning on this but having these parameters exposed to the host can be really beneficial for use with controllers like Push and Maschine.
I use Push and PrEditor to map VST controls to Push. So it would be great to be able to change the polyphony with Push when I program sounds.
It really breaks the flow when I have to switch to mousing.

Yeah I agree. It's not just for automation it's for hands on control with your controller. It's clunky to turn to your mouse.

If you present all of them to DAW (Logic in my case) then the user can decide what they want mapped to their controller.
sjgam
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)