Am I stupid Or Do DUNE 2's LFOs reset with every NOTE?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Am I stupid Or Do DUNE 2's LFOs reset with every NOTE?

Postby Teksonik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:12 am

bones wrote:OK, then, here's your chance to prove it. As you no longer have access to Wasp, here's an MP3 I made of the patch I was talking about. Literally two minutes work to go from the Avalon preset to this - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhDr3VAcPPPegZY7nGt2J8LzZ8Un8Q

You're kidding right ? That's the sound you want to use to prove Wasp is still relevant ? And you had to tweak an existing Wasp patch ? As I said earlier I loaded up Orion and gave Wasp a listen earlier today so obviously I still have access to it so post the actual patch and the .sfs file.

bones wrote:Of course, that was followed by about half-an-hour of wrestling with DUNE 2

Maybe if you had spent time with it you wouldn't be wrestling with a synth that a lot of people find quite easy to program.

bones wrote:For me it's the filters I can't get to work as well. Wasp's LP Fat and LP+Notch are what makes Wasp so handy/nasty and irreplaceable.

I'm sure that Rich is fascinated to learn his new synth doesn't sound as good as his old synth. Luckily the vast majority of users disagree with you.... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 am

bones wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Making sure Poly is off is a lot of work?

That might have been clever if making sure POLY was off fixed the problem but it doesn't, so it's not.

In that case, you need to post a bug report, because Rich claims it does work.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 am

If you look above in the thread, you'll see that Rich told me how to fix it, so he obviously knows it's a problem already. Anyway, he's probably sick of my Orion crash reports by now, I'm probably the last person he wants a big report from.
Teksonik wrote:As I said earlier I loaded up Orion and gave Wasp a listen earlier today so obviously I still have access to it so post the actual patch and the .sfs file.

Here you go, then. Have at it - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhDr3VAcPPPegZY9lHM9N_ZsMv1eRQ
Maybe if you had spent time with it you wouldn't be wrestling with a synth that a lot of people find quite easy to program.

Or maybe if it wasn't busted I could have got it to do what I needed in the first few minutes?
I'm sure that Rich is fascinated to learn his new synth doesn't sound as good as his old synth. Luckily the vast majority of users disagree with you.... :wink:

Would these be the same "majority of users" (another word would be "idiots") who put up with busted LFOs? Hardly a ringing endorsement.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 am

bones wrote:If you look above in the thread, you'll see that Rich told me how to fix it, so he obviously knows it's a problem already.

Its not a fix, its an option. If you dont want the lfo to retrigger you have two ways to turn that option off. There's nothing to fix, its a choice. Retrigger or not.

If both those options dont work for you, then there is a problem somewhere. Did you actually try it?
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:23 pm

bones wrote:If you look above in the thread, you'll see that Rich told me how to fix it, so he obviously knows it's a problem already.

If you bother to actually read his post you'll see that Rich simply educated you as to how DUNE 2 works.

bones wrote:Here you go, then. Have at it

I'll have at it later today. The challenge will be to make DUNE 2 sound that horrible.

bones wrote:Or maybe if it wasn't busted I could have got it to do what I needed in the first few minutes?

Nothing is "busted" that's just the way DUNE 2 works.

What's your hurry ? I'd rather have the sound right than right now. But stick to Wasp if you can't be arsed to spend a few minutes on your craft and keep on using the same narrow range of sounds from 15 years ago.

bones wrote:Would these be the same "majority of users" (another word would be "idiots") who put up with busted LFOs? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

No, an idiot is someone who can't get his head around DUNE 2 because it's too much for his tiny mind. Do you really think all the other users of DUNE 2 including talented sound designers like Kevin Schroeder, Rob Lee, etc and Rich himself wouldn't have noticed if something was "busted" ? You're awfully condescending and way too oblivious to your own inability.

To be honest you getting DUNE 2 for free, doing nothing to earn it, then coming here to trash talk it is a really douche bag move. Why Rich puts up with your dumb ass is beyond me.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Guys, chillout!
Before I became interested in synthesizers I thought "if you have the money, you buy a full synth and that's it: you can do any sound". But it isn't like that, every synth has its special sound. If it has nothing unike it won't be sold that well nor be remembered.
Like the DSI mopho with the analog oscillators does a great job with basslines that you can't reproduce with every other machine, but if you want a chord you could do it with mopho (tetra) but there are synths that do a better job at this.
If there's a synth out there that is capable of EVERY sound to a 100% there would be no reason to have other synths... Like said before, comparing Wasp with Dune2 is something difficult like comparing a SUV to a Lada: the Suv maybe the better car but absolutely not in all points, like the Lada could be parked where the Suv doesn't fit...
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Mopho has dco, not vco.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Bones, I think your problem is with Orion not DUNE 2.

Using the same sequence and same D2 patch in FL Studio you can hear the free running LFO. In Orion you can not.

FL Studio Dune Test

Orion Dune Test

Anyway I've spent enough time on this subject. Reproducing sounds from a 15 year softsynth when technology has advanced so much in that time is a fool's endeavor.

Use whatever you like but don't be afraid to turn around and face the future instead of living in the past...... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:55 pm

ThehakkeMadman wrote:Guys, chillout!

Bones and I are both pig headed, opinionated, grumpy old men. We've been at each other for over a decade and a half. That's not likely to change until one of us goes to meet their maker......... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 am

Teksonik wrote:No, an idiot is someone who can't get his head around DUNE 2 because it's too much for his tiny mind. Do you really think all the other users of DUNE 2 including talented sound designers like Kevin Schroeder, Rob Lee, etc and Rich himself wouldn't have noticed if something was "busted" ? You're awfully condescending and way too oblivious to your own inability.

Yeah, right. Read the topic heading. I assumed completely that I was doing something wrong from the very beginning, even though there was no indication of that when reading the manual. But it turned out that it is actually broken. Rich himself told me what the workaround is and, seeing that, there is no way that anyone would consider it anything but a bug.

As for Kevin Schroeder and Rob Lee, I don't know who either of those guys are, although I think one of them is a DUNE beta tester, isn't he? So it wouldn't surprise me at all if they hadn't noticed, unless they have some unique powers that reveal bugs to them that the rest of us don't possess?
Teksonik wrote:Anyway I've spent enough time on this subject. Reproducing sounds from a 15 year softsynth when technology has advanced so much in that time is a fool's endeavor.

So you're admitting defeat? How long did you spend trying? I got pretty close eventually but, ultimately, DUNE just doesn't sound as hard. It's too nice. I'd also point out that I am using Wasp version 5, which I think appeared with Orion v8, so quite a bit newer than 15 years. Anyway, it's a pretty lame comment in the context of the general obsession with 30-40 year old analogue synths and making software sound exactly like them.
Use whatever you like but don't be afraid to turn around and face the future instead of living in the past...... :wink:

I'm pretty sure I've spent more on brand new synths and related things in the last 18 months than you have. All up it would be in the region of five grand, I think. Not all of it necessarily cutting edge but it's very, very modern and all completely new to me. But I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bathwater just in the name of "the future" so I'll always keep using the things that do the best job.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:50 am

i forgot to up a demo of LFO not resetting on every note....here it is (Orion .sfs)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kriminal
Immortal

Previous

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)