Question about patching in DUNE2

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Question about patching in DUNE2

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Howdy. I was patching playing with Dune 2 and tried to use oscillator INT. PHASE as a destination. I thought I would get something akin to phase modulation from this. I was surprised when nothing happened? Am I wrong? Is INT. PHASE working as destination source? Not sure what I'm doing wrong, Thanks.
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Re: Question about patching in DUNE2

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm

You're doing nothing wrong. The phase only resets at the start of each note. The point of the mod matrix entry is to set a specific phase value for each oscillator and/or voice and forget about it. I would love it if we could have proper phase modulation as you had hoped via the mod matrix, but alas, no. There is a trick with wavetables that I came up with. I'll see if I can find the thread. There's a wavetable on my website with a couple of patches for download in one of the links in my signature below.

In the meantime, the FM subsections of the oscillators are using phase modulation in a similar way to that done in Yamaha FM synths, just not as complex.
Mark

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:38 pm

ah, thanks for the reply. I'll just move right past that then and keep playing. Feel free to use this for any other patching questions, or maybe I will have more questions in the future.
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

ho-hooo!

use one oscillator as a source in the mod matrix and assign it to the destination of an operator in another FM oscillator gets me what I'm after. Thanks again!
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes, you can do some cool stuff with that and you can have osc3->osc2-osc1 in the mod matrix as well. Or even osc3 to osc1 and 2 separately. Or Osc1 and/or 2 feeding back on it's own operators 8)

Make sure to change the modulation rate in the settings tab of the central window, in case you haven't already. Higher CPU, but better sound, unless you like it grungy!
Mark

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

I just made a 7 operator FM patch.... and then you can FM the filter cutoff on top of that if you want grungy. :drool:
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I guess that would be more AM the filter cut off... blame it on the Senility. Have a great day.
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:12 pm

No, it's filter FM. I think modulating the FM amounts is more of an AM/PM hybrid though, which is pretty cool!

Try using a morphing wavetable, e.g. one of my MH Feedback FM factory wavetables as a modulation source and use a MSEG/LFO/envelope to modulate wvateable position.
Mark

Postby Synile_Lapse » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:54 pm

ah, because I’m modulating the filter frequency! right. Funny enough I’ve been doing exactly what you describe. fun stuff.
Synile_Lapse
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)