Legend feedback control doesn't seem to work

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Legend feedback control doesn't seem to work

Postby robjonathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:25 am

I'm not sure if this is the normal behavior, but I can't seem to get the feedback control on The Legend to actually "feedback". I'm not even sure what it's doing exactly - it's very subtle though, if anything. Even having the feedback on full barely makes a difference to the sound, if at all.

I didn't think that much of it at first until I tried NI Monark, and the feedback control clearly creates some dirty, distorted, feedback effects very easily. (However, it can't touch Legend in overall quality!)

I then tried placing The Legend FX plugin after The Legend, and as soon as I turn the feedback up a little bit (on the Legend FX) I got a VERY noticeable effect. I even tried copying the same basic settings in the FX version to the regular version but still nothing. I've tried different presets and setting variations, no difference. I've tried the VST and AU version, no difference.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I'm on Mac High Sierra, latest Ableton, latest Legend V1.22
robjonathan
Novice

Re: Legend feedback control doesn't seem to work

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am

You get more of an effect if you increase the resonance and switch the filter to anything other than 24dB LP. Be careful with your ears when you do this though!
Mark

Postby robjonathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks Mark, I did try that, and can get a very high pitched ringing effect with the resonance and feedback up high - but it's very finicky and not very musical. Also, it doesn't feedback, it's mainly just the resonance I'm hearing.

As I mentioned, using the feedback control on The Legend FX works as I'd expect the feedback control to. It immediately increases the gain and starts overdriving and feeding back.

Is there a reason this control sounds and responds so differently on the FX version vs the standard instrument?
robjonathan
Novice

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Not sure. I'll have a look at the FX a bit later to compare. In the meantime, this is what I see and expect from feedback:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Postby robjonathan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Ok, I just copied your patch and shot a quick screen capture. I show using the feedback control on The Legend, and then using The Legend FX feedback control. The Legend feedback is doing something, but it sounds more like it's just adding a bit of drive.

I assume a video will be too big to attach so I'll just give you a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqvo06qa7io2d ... k.mov?dl=0

Maybe I'm just overlooking something painfully obvious here!
robjonathan
Novice

Postby robjonathan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi Mark, have you had a chance to look at that video yet?
robjonathan
Novice

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:58 pm

I have. It didn't work at first, but it does now for some reason.

Have you tried turning all sound sources up without resonance then turning up feedback to full and then start turning up the volume of an oscillator or two, whilst chaging cutoff? Is that nearer to what you expect?
Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Have you seen this video btw?

https://ask.video/course/minimoog-model ... t-feedback

I seem to get pretty much the same when trying to copy what they guy does there.
Mark

Postby robjonathan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks for the link, Mark. Ok, that's interesting, I think I found the issue. After messing around with it some more I eventually managed to create a similar effect to that in the video. The problem was that the oscillators were set too high.

In the video, you see the guy has oscillator one set to around 9. To get a similar effect in The Legend I have to set it to around 1 - 2. Any more than about 4 and the feedback just has more of an overdrive effect. I know The Legend isn't supposed to be an exact replica, but that is quite a big difference, do you know why that might be? (Assuming this is the same experience you have)
robjonathan
Novice

Postby Christophe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:11 am

robjonathan wrote:I know The Legend isn't supposed to be an exact replica

It's an exact replica from a fully serviced Minimoog Model D from 1979 (serviced by the master himself, Rudi Linhart) own by Nicolas Herz AKA BigTone
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby robjonathan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Christophe wrote:
robjonathan wrote:I know The Legend isn't supposed to be an exact replica

It's an exact replica from a fully serviced Minimoog Model D from 1979 (serviced by the master himself, Rudi Linhart) own by Nicolas Herz AKA BigTone

Thanks Christophe, I didn't realize that! In that case, what I'm asking is even more relevant. As you can see in that video that Mark linked, the guy has oscillator one up at about 9 when he demonstrates the effect of the feedback control. For me to get a similar effect in The Legend I have to have oscillator below 1. What I'm asking is, is this normal behavior for The Legend and is there any particular reason why this is?

I guess it's not a big deal because I can adjust all the patches, but it's just a bit finicky and seems unnecessary.
robjonathan
Novice

Postby fruklushnube » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Me too, i found that the feedback B of MONARK sounds a way more musical and pleasant than Legend and my Berhinger Model D.
The difference is very big for me... so i think it's a sort of modification/upgrade by Native Instrument (?)
fruklushnube
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 pm

fruklushnube wrote:Me too, i found that the feedback B of MONARK sounds a way more musical and pleasant than Legend and my Berhinger Model D.

But the purpose is to sound like the hardware, so it should sound like the Model D and not completely different. It is a feedback loop after all, the output jack is connected back into the filter input. Besides I don't agree one is better or more musical than the other. I personally really like some presets using The Legend's feedback, e.g. Trailer Boom KS from the factory bank.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)