Quantum Biology

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Quantum Biology

Postby Touch The Universe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

Hi guys, about 4 hours of work. I want to finish the track at some point, any feedback would be appreciated. Made entirely with Thorn except the kick and drums.

https://soundcloud.com/ttu-serene-dimen ... iology-ttu
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Re: Quantum Biology

Postby bones » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 am

The compressor kind of spoils the initial build-up a bit when the kick comes in - it's really loud and then it isn't. It's OK when the kick comes back in after the two quiet parts but at the start it feels very heavy-handed.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Touch The Universe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 am

Had the same thought. I might continue with the melody from the build up to keep the energy going, or even out the transition if I can do it in a creative, nice sounding way. I'm more worried with the messy transition 8 bars later.

I may or may not put more work into the track, depending how the next session goes. Will update if anything interesting comes of it.
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Here's my take...

That first riser at around 20 second, until the kick... perhaps you could lead in with something slower. This way you have this epic riser that leads to something great, only to continue with something less eventful. So maybe save that riser for when you're ready to really hit it off on full blast.

Measures...
I'm still noticing, like in some of your older tracks (and you've done that in "Aurora Timebomb" too :D ) odd times where you just end melodic parts.
General rule: 8 bars of same thing. Well, not the same thing same thing, you can modulate and do all sorts of stuff. Just don't change or cut parts right out. There are exceptions, You can, cut out things after 4th bar if you want to do it quicker. Or you can, for example, have transitions on the last bar or two, where you could stop rhythmic section, put that riser, and then on the beginning of next 1st bar, go full blast.

Keys...
It sounds like you have varying key notes. Some of your melodic parts appear to be in D, but your bassline is in C. At least that's how it sounds to me, like they're a whole note apart - correct me if I'm wrong.

Last bit of wisdom...
Crashes/cymbals are your impact friend ;)

That's it for now. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week :lol:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks bro :dance: :lol:

Really nice advice, on all fronts, as usual. I'll probably address all of them.

Having crashes and any build effects would elevate the track into, yeah, I will probably finish this song, category :lol:

It's a short demo i put to market a thorn soundset :)

I'll try to have a go at it later today or tomorrow and share the results..

That first riser at around 20 second, until the kick... perhaps you could lead in with something slower. This way you have this epic riser that leads to something great, only to continue with something less eventful. So maybe save that riser for when you're ready to really hit it off on full blast.

Can you expand this a bit more bro, make clearer?

I think you say to move this entire intro to the climax of song, and to open the track with like a pad or drums, slowly building energy?
Once the build up, I was planning on extending that whole part, and not cutting into something different, with less energy, as bones suggested. Would you agree to, or?
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 am

90% finished now. Just need some fx, syncopate the bass here and there and a few touch ups.

https://soundcloud.com/ttu-serene-dimen ... um-biology
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:25 am

Touch The Universe wrote:Can you expand this a bit more bro, make clearer?

I think you say to move this entire intro to the climax of song, and to open the track with like a pad or drums, slowly building energy?
Once the build up, I was planning on extending that whole part, and not cutting into something different, with less energy, as bones suggested. Would you agree to, or?

Exactly. Build a track a bit slower. That riser at the beginning kind of cuts into the build-up, but since it carries with slow progression, doesn't translate that same energy forward.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 am

Touch The Universe wrote:90% finished now. Just need some fx, syncopate the bass here and there and a few touch ups.

https://soundcloud.com/ttu-serene-dimen ... um-biology

That bass still doesn't sit well to my ears :lol:

Could you, please, try transposing them 1 note up?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:58 am

It's weird, doing so would be out of key. I tried anyway and its no go - it's out of key :lol: . I'll have a go at it soon in a bit. I mainly want to shorten the track to seven minutes, add fx, then call it a day and move onto the next track :D

I think I'll try experimenting with the fine tune though, hopefully that works :?
Touch The Universe
Regular

Return to Music & Stuff