Segment Tools in WT Editor in Dune 3 (bug?)

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Segment Tools in WT Editor in Dune 3 (bug?)

Postby Oberheim » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I sent email but I am not sure if you got it, therefore I writing here.

I think this tools have bug or I misunderstand this tool. When I draw line it automaticly change wave. When I right click on the screen, dropdownn menu show me Apply and Clear options. Clear is working, it clear the Segments, but apply does nothing, then I assume, this tool is intended for design line without change wave, and after I am satisfied, I click on the Apply and wave is change to Segment Wave. But unfortunately it is not working that.
Oberheim
Novice

Re: Segment Tools in WT Editor in Dune 3 (bug?)

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:25 pm

The Segment tool works in realtime like the other editors (Freehand, Line, Additive, etc.). The Apply function from the right-click menu is designed to apply the current segment to other waveforms, i.e. you can switch to a different waveform and apply the current segment there.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Oberheim » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for clear how it working.

May I request to change it how I describe it? I think it would be useful when Segment Tool not change wave in realtime (or make option to turn it on/off), because user can follow path of current wave (when hold shift key, which is nice) and change it slightly with Segment Tool. For now it change wave and user can't go back or change part of wave to close original because is redrawn by Segment Tool. I know there is Back button to take action back, but it is working as only "now". It is different creation experience.I hope you understand what I want write :).

And maybe one cation will be welcome, like "Turn Wave in to Segments".
Oberheim
Novice

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Oberheim wrote:Thanks for clear how it working.

May I request to change it how I describe it? I think it would be useful when Segment Tool not change wave in realtime (or make option to turn it on/off), because user can follow path of current wave (when hold shift key, which is nice) and change it slightly with Segment Tool. For now it change wave and user can't go back or change part of wave to close original because is redrawn by Segment Tool. I know there is Back button to take action back, but it is working as only "now". It is different creation experience.I hope you understand what I want write :).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Generally speaking, all editing in a synth should be realtime and instant, so that you can immediately hear what you're doing - and this is exactly how the Wavetable editor works.

Oberheim wrote:And maybe one cation will be welcome, like "Turn Wave in to Segments".

That's a very interesting idea, we should give it a try! :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Oberheim » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 am

Richard wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Generally speaking, all editing in a synth should be realtime and instant, so that you can immediately hear what you're doing - and this is exactly how the Wavetable editor works.
Ok, I'll try describe it in diferent way.
Imagine you have some wave, and want make it retrace it with segment tools. Maybe not whole wave but some part. It is possible because when you hold shift, it snap segment in to wave path. And now imagine you want move segments or rearange segments in different way, but still want retrace wave path. But due to Segment Tool change wave in realtime you can't because wave is redrawn by Segment Tool and there is no more original wave. Therefore it need some button where user change Segment Tool behavior to not change Segment Tool wave in realtime. And now he can retrace wave with Segment Tool and make further editing until he is not satisfied.

As I thinking now, you have right it should change wave in realtime to hear changes, maybe better will be "bake" or hold a wave in to some slot (graphical layer) or memory (each table can take one wave and load existing wave) and with Segment Tools you can do what I was describe above, and it will be in realtime.
That means each table will have second layer where user can save / load wave in to this layer. But it will be as for reference for segment tools and others (that means wave in second layer can't be changed, it can only load waves from file or "bake" wave from current wave in table). If user turn on this second layer, Segment tools didn't change second layer in realtime and when shift is used, it will snap wave from this second wave layer. And can convert wave from second layer in to Segment Tool. Second layer wave can be in different color to be recognize.

Hope it is more clear now.
Oberheim
Novice

Return to Bug Reports