Issue Importing MIDI

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Issue Importing MIDI

Postby DonnieAlan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm having an issue importing a MIDI sequence to use in creating an ARP. No matter what I do, the imported MIDI file adds extraneous notes hat are not in the original MIDI file I'm importing to Dune 3. I've attached to JPG screen shots. This file shows the actual MIDI sequence. You can see its just a simple MIDI sequence of 8 measures with 8th notes. I created it in Pro Tools 2018.12
Dune 3 MIDI 1.JPG

this second file shows what I actually see in Dune 3 when I import this same sequence. I've tried all sorts of ways, but always the extra notes you see there show up.

Dune 3 MIDI Issue 2.JPG

Also, for some reason, when I import, the screen jumps to 32 measures, even though I have it set at 8 before I import. Not sure what's going on here, but sure would like to know what I'm doing wrong, or if this is indeed a bug. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Issue Importing MIDI

Postby Kriminal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:00 pm

can you upload the midi file?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby DonnieAlan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Kriminal wrote:can you upload the midi file?

You're asking me that reminded me of something about the way Pro Tools exports MIDI files. I had soloed the MIDI file I wanted to export (the one in the screen shot) but there were others in the session. So, when I exported, they got consolidated to one MIDI file. I had to MUTE all the others I didn't want. Now its correct.

Its been a while since I exported MIDI from PT for anything and I forgot how oddly PT handles MIDI exports.

Glad you asked the right question!!! Thanks!!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 am

If I remember correctly Dune 3 doesn't import midi files from FL Studio either. Something wonky about FL's format. I use Reaper and its midi files work fine. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 pm

FLStudio MIDI files should import fine. Yes they work a bit strange (iirc Note off events were overlapping with Note on events on consecutive notes, which is unusual) but we added some code here to make sure the notes are translated properly regardless. Note that just like in Orion, MIDI patterns should be exported from FLStudio not an entire song (a song would typically contain more than just one track).
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 pm

As I said in my last post, the issue wasn't with Dune, but with the way Pro Tools exports MIDI files. You have to mute everything but the MIDI track you want, or else all MIDI tracks will export at once, either as one consolidated track (which I've never seen a good use for), or as multiple tracks in one file. Neither is good for importing to Dune. So, had I remembered to mute all the other MIDI tracks in the session I set up to create MIDI tracks to import, there would not have been an issue. Indeed, when I did that and imported, it all worked fine. Its been a long standing beef with AVID to fix and update the way Pro Tools handles MIDI import/export...among other things MIDI related.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Return to Bug Reports