Saving Patch edits crashes Pro Tools

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Saving Patch edits crashes Pro Tools

Postby DonnieAlan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm hosting Dune 2 in Pro Tools. For some reason, every time I create a patch and go to save my work, Pro Tools crashes.
I have the most recent version of Dune 2 AAX, and use it frequently. Except for this issue, it works fine.
Running Pro Tools 2018.7 (most recent version)
Windows 10 64bit Pro

I can't figure out what is causing the issue. The only thing I have open in the session is Dune 2 on an instrument track in PT. No other plugins are being used. I start with an Init Patch, create something, and save, and PT crashes and auto-reboots. If I make ANY edit at all to a patch and try to save, same thing. The odd thing is, I don't lose what I saved. Once PT reboots, and I reopen Dune 2, whatever I just tried to save IS saved, so my work isn't being lost. But its damn annoying to make and save an edit and then have to go through reboot each time I do.

Any ideas?
Thanks
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Saving Patch edits crashes Pro Tools

Postby Marcin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:22 pm

We will try to reproduce the issue.
However, does the crash occur when you just create new session, insert DUNE 2, and just save (without any edit)?
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Marcin wrote:We will try to reproduce the issue.
However, does the crash occur when you just create new session, insert DUNE 2, and just save (without any edit)?

No, if I create a session, insert Dune 2 and just call up a patch and play or record something, and then save the session in Pro Tools, nothing crashes. Its only when I try to save an edit in Dune 2 itself that it crashes Pro Tools and it auto reboots.

And, it doesn't do that if I insert Dune 2 VST version in Reason, for example. That seems to work just fine. The issue seems to be with the AAX version ins Pro Tools (version 2018.7).
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 pm

We have now tested this on multiple PCs running Pro Tools 2018.7, but so far we could not reproduce this issue anywhere.

Note that the actual save code is practically identical for saving a session and saving a patch (and if I understood you correctly, it actually does save properly in both cases). So this looks like some rather exotic bug, probably related to something entirely different and not the save procedure itself. Anyway since we cannot reproduce the issue, we'll contact you via PM or email. Probably the only way to fix this issue will be with your cooperation, e.g. we can build a version which writes a log file that gives us a better idea of what exactly goes wrong.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Richard wrote:We have now tested this on multiple PCs running Pro Tools 2018.7, but so far we could not reproduce this issue anywhere.

Note that the actual save code is practically identical for saving a session and saving a patch (and if I understood you correctly, it actually does save properly in both cases). So this looks like some rather exotic bug, probably related to something entirely different and not the save procedure itself. Anyway since we cannot reproduce the issue, we'll contact you via PM or email. Probably the only way to fix this issue will be with your cooperation, e.g. we can build a version which writes a log file that gives us a better idea of what exactly goes wrong.

That would be fine with me. Just let me know what you need from me. And thank you!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm

If a PM or email was sent to me regarding this, I have not seen it.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm having the same issue again with Dune 3. Its fine if I create a patch from scratch. But if I edit any existing patch and try to save it or re-save it, 80% of the time it crashes Pro Tools. I'm running PT 2018.10 - Win 10 64bit.

Thanks for any help!

Donnie A
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm

I posted on this issue a while back. First it cropped up with Dune 2. Now I'm having the very same issue with Dune 3. For whatever reason, when I'm hosting D3 in Pro Tools (PT 2012.12, Win-10 64bit), and I edit a patch or even create one from scratch, when I go to save it, PT crashes and reboots. When I reopen D3, the patch I saved is in the right place and I can load it in.

I would suspect the fix is similar to what you all suggested for the issue with D2, but I didn't want to do anything until hearing from you guys on this.

It does not happen if I host D3 as VST in Reason, or for that matter, in PT as VST hosted in Blue Cat Audio Patchwork. It seems to be the AAX version that has the issue.

Please advise. Its getting annoying. I prefer to do all my patch design using Pro Tools as host for a variety of reasons. But I'm waving to work around it because of this problem.

Thanks
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Please advise. thank you
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 pm

have you contacted PT?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:13 pm

We finally managed to reproduce the issue. It is fixed in v3.05, available in the Download area.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby DonnieAlan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 pm

Richard wrote:We finally managed to reproduce the issue. It is fixed in v3.05, available in the Download area.

Thank you so much. I'll grab it over the weekend and let you know if I run into the issue any more.

Appreciate your getting this fixed.

Thanks guys!!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby DonnieAlan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Downloaded the update and now it seems to work well. Thanks for fixing this issue!
DonnieAlan
Novice

Return to Bug Reports