DUNE 3 Unison Spread algorithm

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE 3 Unison Spread algorithm

Postby Tim Jordan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Just got Dune 3 and got confused by the way the Spread sounds;

It's as though when I turn up the spread, it mixes out the mono signal, and brings in a hard stereo signal, rather than slowly increasing the degree to which the voices are panned to either side. Am I hearing this correctly?

If so, I would LOVE to be able to select a different spread algorithm that actually increases the panning of each voice, rather than mixing between hard mono and hard stereo.
Tim Jordan
Novice

Re: DUNE 3 Unison Spread algorithm

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 pm

there are several types of spread in the menu, which one are you referring to?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:17 am

I think those are for pitch, not spread.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 am

There are two types of Spread. Oscillator Spread and Unison Voices Spread. From the Manual:

At the Oscillator Level:

Spread
When two or more oscillators are active in the stack, the SPRD knob allows to spread the
oscillators in the stereo field, around the center. Turned fully left, the oscillator stack will
be mono

At the Unison Voices Level:

Spread
Spreads the unison voices in the stereo field. A minimum of two voices must be dialed
in to create an audible effect. At maximum position, the voices will be fully spread in the stereo
field – in the case of using two voices, one voice will be panned hard left and the other one hard
right. In case of three voices, one voice will be panned hard left, one dead center and one
hard right, etc.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am

bones wrote:I think those are for pitch, not spread.

detune is pitch, spread is stereo field (and vol in osc)

i thought that would be obvious
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:28 pm

I wanted to mention for the benefit of Tim Jordan that you can use both Osc Unison/Spread and Voice Unison/Spread at same time if you wish although using both Spreads simultaneously should be done with some restraint.

In the test patch below I've set Unison Voices to 3, Detune to Zero and Spread to Max. That puts Voice 1 hard left, Voice 2 at Center and Voice 3 hard right.

I used Osc Unison on all 3 but Osc spread only on Voice 2 just to fill it out a bit. Each voice is programmed differently to emphasize the effect although you could make them all copies of the same sound. Maybe this will help you achieve what you're asking for..... :)

Spread Test.zip

EDIT: I don't know why I even bother anymore......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist