Please remove the arrow key shortcut for next/previous patch

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Please remove the arrow key shortcut for next/previous patch

Postby M-Prod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 pm

I've had numerous occasions where im working on a patch and because I press the arrow keys, you are suddenly in another patch. Especially when you are editing formulas in the wavetable editor. Just try to edit the formula with the arrow keys.. you can't because you jump to another preset and have to navigate all your way back (starting with navigating to undo in the menu)
There are numerous other scenarios where I use the arrow keys in my daw and accidentally change presets in Dune 3.
Others have the same? I like the fact that you CAN navigate presets with the keyboard that in itself is great. I would at least like an option to NOT use the arrow keys and use some other keys or open them up to my daw so I can assign my own keys/midi controls.
M-Prod
Novice

Re: Please remove the arrow key shortcut for next/previous p

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I see what you're saying but I imagine more people want to use the Arrows to scroll patches than they do edit WT Formulas.

In the meantime you can left click in the formula area just to the right of the character you want to edit then hit Backspace.

That will delete the character then you can enter the one you want.

It might not be the solution you want but until (if) the option to disable Preset scrolling is added it's the best solution.

For the other situations where you do an unwanted patch change I think you should be able to right click where it says Patch and Undo but it doesn't seem to working as expected here. Maybe you can try that and see if it helps.

Also some DAWs have the option to not send keystrokes to the Plugin. You could toggle that on/off.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby M-Prod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Teksonik wrote:I see what you're saying but I imagine more people want to use the Arrows to scroll patches than they do edit WT Formulas.
Sure I agree, I just wanted to mention this scenario within Dune itself, but it mainly happens when I just want to select my next track in my daw only to suddenly hear a patch change in Dune.

Teksonik wrote:In the meantime you can left click in the formula area just to the right of the character you want to edit then hit Backspace.

That will delete the character then you can enter the one you want.

It might not be the solution you want but until (if) the option to disable Preset scrolling is added it's the best solution.

Thanks! I hadn't tried that.
Teksonik wrote: For the other situations where you do an unwanted patch change I think you should be able to right click where it says Patch and Undo but it doesn't seem to working as expected here. Maybe you can try that and see if it helps.

It kind of does and that's what I meant with the undo, it's a lifesaver (support pointed me to this when I thought I just lost my edits) it's just cumbersome and sometimes it does not seem to work all the way back.
Teksonik wrote:Also some DAWs have the option to not send keystrokes to the Plugin. You could toggle that on/off.

Thanks for the tip, it's not possible in my DAW and I if it would I guess I would prefer to keep the keystrokes for other uses and plugins.

Thanks for your extensive and clear response!
M-Prod
Novice

Postby Sirous » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:34 pm

I have the same issue, just other moments when I press the arrow buttons. I really enjoy the update from 2 to 3. Thank you for this improvements of this synth. But this one with the arrows also made me mad a few times when I was working on a preset and then accidently or on purpose for another reason pressed one of those buttons. The undo does not work here. I ofc sometimes save my projects but not every few seconds. Please add an option to turn this off.
Sirous
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Can't you just not click on one the Arrows unless you want to go to the next or previous preset ? It takes a conscious effort to click on them and they're well out of the way. :?

Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:24 am

Sirous wrote:The undo does not work here. I ofc sometimes save my projects but not every few seconds.

Dune3 has it's own Undo.

So even if you switch to another patch, accidentally or not, Undo will bring you back to what you were doing before the change.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Sirous » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:00 am

@HYPNAGOGIA: This is what I meant. The undo from Dune 3 does not work all the time. The last time it did work but before it did not. It just changed my last wheel settings but not the complete preset (lots of wheels etc.) in that moment.

@Teksonik: I work in my daw with the arrow keys. Also the other day I typed into the field of Dune 3: "Modwheel: Effects ()" and then i pressed the left button to go between () to add the effects and bam it changed. No honestly who really needs this arrow buttons to change the presets? This is really not as important as to not change it while you are tweaking on something. There are also other moments when I use the arrow keys. I think there is not something more important, than to make sure that all of your work is not suddenly gone.
Sirous
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Sirous wrote:@HYPNAGOGIA: This is what I meant. The undo from Dune 3 does not work all the time. The last time it did work but before it did not. It just changed my last wheel settings but not the complete preset (lots of wheels etc.) in that moment.

I haven't encountered once where Undo didn't do what it's designed to do, even roll back the entire preset change.
If you have, make sure to report that as a bug with detailed instructions how to reproduce your specific situation.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Sirous wrote:
@Teksonik: I work in my daw with the arrow keys. Also the other day I typed into the field of Dune 3: "Modwheel: Effects ()" and then i pressed the left button to go between () to add the effects and bam it changed.

What DAW ? Because in both FL Studio and Cakewalk by Bandlab pressing the arrow keys on my qwerty keyboard only moves the cursor back and forward in the patch description window when it has focus. They do not change patches.

If you use the arrow keys a lot you can set your DAW not to pass keystrokes on to the plugin. Most competent DAWs have such an option. If you want to add another line in the patch description window you can use the "|" symbol found on the "\" key below the Backspace key on most qwerty keyboards. No need to use the left or right buttons. If your DAW does not have the option to not pass keystrokes onto plugins then you can simply use your mouse to place the cursor wherever you want.

Sirous wrote:No honestly who really needs this arrow buttons to change the presets?

People who want to change patches with the arrows. That's why the function exists. :wink:

Take into consideration how long Dune 3 have been out and how popular it is and the fact that only one or two people have ever had a problem with the arrow buttons tells me it's not a high priority.

But good luck maybe some day Synapse will add the option to disable the patch change arrows.

EDIT: I just wanted to mention that Undo doesn't work unless you make an edit to a patch or have created a patch from INIT. In other words if you're just scrolling through a folder of patches and hit the Next or Previous Arrows, Undo will not be active.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:16 am

Teksonik wrote:People who want to change patches with the arrows. That's why the function exists. :wink:

Take into consideration how long Dune 3 have been out and how popular it is and the fact that only one or two people have ever had a problem with the arrow buttons tells me it's not a high priority.

Yes, changing patches with the arrow keys has been asked for repeatedly before we had this functionality.

If we make it optional, it would probably go into some ini or xml file or so. This would allow us to have several special options that are relevant to only some users. If we put everything into the GUI, it gets cluttered quickly with stuff that most people do not need.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)